Gear on college student budget

lunchboxer

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone in the same boat?
I've got some gear (helmet, jacket, knee pro, gloves) but it's tough since I'm a (recently unemployed) college student. One of my pet peeves is seeing other riders in hoodies and sneakers...but if money's tight, what can we do?

Thanks

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
you're lucky youre in CA. There is tons of gear available on craigslist, people buy bikes here and rarely use them even though conditions are almost always good. Youll find barely used gear for a fraction of the price new. You just need to know what size you are and not be picky on colors.

Jomomma

I'm not a Junior Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you're lucky youre in CA. There is tons of gear available on craigslist, people buy bikes here and rarely use them even though conditions are almost always good. Youll find barely used gear for a fraction of the price new. You just need to know what size you are and not be picky on colors.
^Agreed.
Check Craigslist, I bought a pair of alpinestars s-mx boots for $40 the other day. Just got to keep your eyes open.

mduhon

Reaction score
Visit site
Another idea is to wait for the sales at local stores and online such as cyclegear. I was in the same boat many others being a college student myself. I ended up getting 75% off jacket, helmet, gloves, and pants for when its really cold all in matching colors. It wasn't that hard to do, just had to be patient. I know currently cyclegear has some really good deals such as $250 jackets for $75. :thumbup:

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
I researched gear online and tried it in local stores, then searched craigslist for them :thumbup:takes time but saves you a ton of money