Please give opinions about ATGATT

Skybow388

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank all you guys but sadly I need an extra large:/ I'm going to check cycle gear and see what they have and I'll keep you guys updated if you come across a used nice jacket or pants I got boots then message me with the price! Thanks hellgate for the offer though if I could fit a medium IDE jump on that! Jacket size preferably extra large but can wear large as that's what size my shirts are and pants 38-40 thanks for looking out for me guys.

2006 faster blue fz6

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I really appreciate this forum finding ways to come together to help.

I'll just say this once you get set up, you still have to wear the gear. I was in a situation like you after I put down my Fz6 and I got my Fz1. I was tight on funds and luckily I had a buddy(actually a local forum member) offer me his Joe Rocket Jacket for a smoking deal. I kept saving up and by the time summer hit I was able to get a Dainese mesh textile jacket that is pretty awesome. Now for the sad part, I have hardly wore it for the last month. I just got tired of peeling it off me after riding to and from work. I know it's lazy, I know the damage that can happen in a crash (I'm a doctor that deals with chronic pain patients every day, and I would say 1 in about 30-40 patients their pain is from a motorcycle accident). I even have visions dance through my imagination of how messed up I would be if I went down doing some of the stuff I do, and none of them are pretty.

So, I will just say, whatever you get, wear it. If you don't wear it, then know that you are putting life and limb at risk. I've crashed twice and both times I had helmet, jacket, pants, glove and boots on, both times walked away, although concussion from one of them because of improperly fitted helmet.

chroline

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
And to whoever said if if ant afford the gear I can't afford the bike my dad bought me the bike because he bought one and wanted me to ride. I guess I'll lay off riding until I can get some gear. Gotta find something comfortable with 99 degrees and 95% humidity...... I feel like an idiot.....

2006 faster blue fz6

ask your dad to buy your some gear

joey.logue

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't be that squid. Check craigslist. Tons of decent moto gear on there. At least get a jacket and some chaps and wear some boots.

You say you can't afford the gear, but can you afford to get hurt?

+1.

Craigslist, thrift stores, amazon, ebay, garage sales. I went down in jeans and a T-shirt on a short ride around town and seriously wished I had put on my jacket and some sturdy pants.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So here I am. I'm 19 I'm a full time college student who works full time and rides a 2006 fz6. I strongly believe gear saves lives. Here's my dilemma. I cannot afford gear. I often ride in shorts t shirt and tennis shoes. A local guy I know told me without gear bikes are certain death. I argued with him and told him I couldn't afford it. He told me I might as well stop riding. I totally disagree. All I can afford at the moment is to have my hjc snell approved helmet. And icon gloves. I know plenty of you guys practice wearing everything all the time. In your personal opinions was he right telling me that I'm stupid for riding without it? I would wear it but my budget and bills and such do not allow me to. Please give me input thanks
-Sky

2006 faster blue fz6

..so let's get to your question....was the guy right when he said you were stupid for riding without gear. And the answer is yes IF you are doing it by choice. If there is any way for you to buy gear you MUST do it to minimize the risks and the costs of those risks (as stated..medical bills, time off, etc). If you cannot afford gear it should be your top priority to acquire. Christmas and birthday presents, skipping that next video game release, etc.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we MUST share the same facts. An the fact is that a crash at almost ANY speed will be less injurious with more gear.

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
..so let's get to your question....was the guy right when he said you were stupid for riding without gear. And the answer is yes IF you are doing it by choice. If there is any way for you to buy gear you MUST do it to minimize the risks and the costs of those risks (as stated..medical bills, time off, etc). If you cannot afford gear it should be your top priority to acquire. Christmas and birthday presents, skipping that next video game release, etc.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we MUST share the same facts. An the fact is that a crash at almost ANY speed will be less injurious with more gear.

I'm going to disagree here. For me it is the opposite. Understanding the risks of riding with no gear (or various levels of gear up through ATGATT) and ACCEPTING those risks is much different than not wearing gear because you can't afford it. I understand the ATGATT crowd's arguments and accept their choices as adults. But I think as adults we also have to both be aware of all the risks we are taking and decide for ourselves what we are willing to accept. I think accepting higher risk doesn't necessarily make us stupid--otherwise we're all idiots for riding motorcycles at all :BLAA: But being ignorant of the risks or going without gear is completely different.

Anyway, as some others have mentioned, super impressed with this board working to try to help a guy out.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't read the whole thread, so if you've sorted out your gear situation, good for you. If not, please consider some other things you can do without for a while so you can afford some kind of protection when you ride.

A couple of days ago I went dirt biking with my husband and our son. I dumped the poor bike and banged my leg on the rocks and now have some gnarly scrapes and bruises to remind me that wasn't a smart thing to do (I actually considered wearing my armored pants but decided against it because didn't want to scuff them if I fell). :spank: I was going maybe five miles an hour at the time, too.

So much more can go wrong on the street. Please, guys, wear gear.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
A very expensive set of gear is still cheaper than an ambulance bill and ER bill. Ponder that.

But at least boots gloves and helmet, massive blood lose from an amputation it won't matter, doubtful they will get to you in time.

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to disagree here. For me it is the opposite. Understanding the risks of riding with no gear (or various levels of gear up through ATGATT) and ACCEPTING those risks is much different than not wearing gear because you can't afford it. I understand the ATGATT crowd's arguments and accept their choices as adults. But I think as adults we also have to both be aware of all the risks we are taking and decide for ourselves what we are willing to accept. I think accepting higher risk doesn't necessarily make us stupid--otherwise we're all idiots for riding motorcycles at all :BLAA: But being ignorant of the risks or going without gear is completely different.

Anyway, as some others have mentioned, super impressed with this board working to try to help a guy out.

Ever summer, despite all the pleas, warnings, new laws, finger wagging, etc,. regarding the safety of wearing life vests in water, I don't wear one nearby in the American River where I've been cooling off all my life. I deem the risk of drowning acceptable and don't like the ever more growing trend make it law (not just PA lectures) and order everybody, even adults to wear lifejackets. As expected, rope swings (if you can discover one) are already "illegal."

At any rate, nice read. I enjoyed the contribution.:thumbup:

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude you can afford some gear if you can afford to fuel the bike. Here is a start.

Gloves $8 free shipping with 56 four star reviews.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Motorcycle-Riding-Protective-Gloves/dp/B0069IXGLC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1379876701&sr=8-4&keywords=motorcycle+gloves]Amazon.com: Bicycle/Motorcycle Riding Protective Gloves Black L: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Mesh Jacket $68

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Xelement-CF-505-Sports-Motorcycle-Jacket/dp/B003N0W2TQ/ref=sr_1_12?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1379877084&sr=1-12&keywords=motorcycle+jacket]Amazon.com: Xelement Mens CF-505 Mesh Sports Motorcycle Jacket: Automotive[/ame]

Boots $68

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHT4OU4/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=automotive]BILT Trackstar Leather Motorcycle Boots - 10, Black : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

There you go that's all but pant's, out there in that heat I would just pick up some thick jeans and eventually buy some knee pads maby. So far we are under $150 for not the greatest gear but waaaay better than nothing. I spent some time in MS and the heat/humidity there is terrible, to beat the heat buy some underarmor or underarmor like material get it soaking wet and then put in on and ride, it's like AC! Then just stop and pour some water down your shirt to re-up the coolness!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So here I am. I'm 19 I'm a full time college student who works full time and rides a 2006 fz6. I strongly believe gear saves lives. Here's my dilemma. I cannot afford gear. I often ride in shorts t shirt and tennis shoes. A local guy I know told me without gear bikes are certain death. I argued with him and told him I couldn't afford it. He told me I might as well stop riding. I totally disagree. All I can afford at the moment is to have my hjc snell approved helmet. And icon gloves. I know plenty of you guys practice wearing everything all the time. In your personal opinions was he right telling me that I'm stupid for riding without it? I would wear it but my budget and bills and such do not allow me to. Please give me input thanks
-Sky

2006 faster blue fz6
Hi, well we have all been there with regard to finances being tight. However I have to say, there are always ways to find $300-400 to get started. As for wearing shorts you are just being stupid and that has nothing to do with money, put some jeans on wear some work boots not ideal but better than nothing.
Sell some stuff, ask family to club together for your birthday, get a part time job or if you are working do some overtime to make up the difference. As an ED nurse I can honestly say that gear will not save you from a major blunt force trauma no matter what it costs. It will save your skin in a low to moderate speed slide. I guess what we are all saying is value your skin and even without cash there are still ways to minimise your personal risk at very little cost.

Nelly

Last edited:

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
Ever summer, despite all the pleas, warnings, new laws, finger wagging, etc,. regarding the safety of wearing life vests in water, I don't wear one nearby in the American River where I've been cooling off all my life. I deem the risk of drowning acceptable and don't like the ever more growing trend make it law (not just PA lectures) and order everybody, even adults to wear lifejackets. As expected, rope swings (if you can discover one) are already "illegal."

At any rate, nice read. I enjoyed the contribution.:thumbup:

Thanks. I know it's not a popular opinion to have on this board (or anywhere, for that matter). For what it's worth, 95% of the time I'm wearing helmet, boots, gloves, jacket, jeans. Every once in a while I'll drop the boots (most common) in favor of something more comfortable, and very rarely I'll also go with no jacket. But in those rare instances I always do other things to minimize my risk--short do it for short rides, defensive and attentive riding, riding in ways to improve my lines of sight and visibility, etc.

And also for the record I'm in favor of helmet laws and other general safety laws. I just happen to think that a lot of times people overlook the huge risk of getting on a bike in the first place. I try to minimize risk as much as the next person, but if we weren't at all the adventure/danger seeking type we'd be in our cages all the time :D

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
In England, police often stop teenagers on mopeds in tshirts and tracksuit trousers (you call them sweatpants). It's not a crime, but the officers feel it's their duty to educate the kids.
Because it cannot often be seen as cool in their group to wear full gear, they recommend motocross armour under a jacket - doesn't cost a lot at all, sure can still get road rash but it saves lives.

Cambo

Reaction score
Visit site
Skybow- please PM me your address.

I've got an XL Shift Mesh jacket that's collecting dust that I've been trying to sell on the fz8 forum with no luck so I'd like to donate it to you dude. I'm sorry, I wish I had more gear I could send your way but that's all I've got.

I'd like to thank everyone in this thread as well...reading through this has been the eye opener I needed. I've got gear...but I've been a squid this entire summer. I'll admit it. But reading this has made me feel foolish...as I should feel. So thanks.

Ssky0078, a highly respected member on the fz8 forums, referred me to this post...so thanks to him too.

The FZ family is pretty effing cool...good luck in getting the rest of the gear.