Gas tank reserve

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I use reserve every time. Here's 2013's fill data. 2014 has yet to be entered from my phone.

2013%20fill.png

Yes, I might be a data nerd.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I use reserve every time. Here's 2013's fill data. 2014 has yet to be entered from my phone.

2013%20fill.png

Yes, I might be a data nerd.

Ha ha, you had days you filled within 5 days as long as 16 days.
But mostly you visit the station every weekend. I do exactly every other weekend.

Good I see around 48mpg on an average for you.
Hope I stop riding like a ghost rider and reach that on an average once I change the tires.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As noted earlier, running the fuel tank that low is NOT GOOD for your fuel pump, the fuel cools the pump.

IMO, I don't let it get below 2 bars max. Doesn't take 5 minutes to fill up, why chance "pushing" or extra wear and tear on the pump, sucking crap into the filter, etc.. Just my 2cts

Although it may not be good from a technical standpoint, do not estimate the quality of the OEM fuel pump. 90% of the time, I will always refuel after the trip meter begins, usually between 10-20 miles and will take between 4.1-4.5 gallons. Considering that my fuel pump is still the original pump, we are talking over 100k miles and over 7 years old.
[MENTION=26729]raja777m[/MENTION], Android

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Although it may not be good from a technical standpoint, do not estimate the quality of the OEM fuel pump. 90% of the time, I will always refuel after the trip meter begins, usually between 10-20 miles and will take between 4.1-4.5 gallons. Considering that my fuel pump is still the original pump, we are talking over 100k miles and over 7 years old.
[MENTION=26729]raja777m[/MENTION], Android

You still have almost a gallon in there and more importantly, your bike doesn't sit, the inside of the tank doesn't rust (as its used very regularly).

Being in the more northern end of the country you likely don't see the higher temps on a regular basis. Down here, its now regularly into the low 90'sF for the next 5 months

There are more threads about failed fuel pumps, IMO, because they (the bikes) do sit, don't get used regularly, collect rust which ends up in the fuel pump filter, not stored correctly over winter, etc. We're talking alot about the average guy, maybe new to motorcycling, etc.

I'm a Yamaha guy to the bone, and as previously noted, will have this bike until it gets wrecked or stolen. I've also preached NOT to cut corners and buy aftermarket cheap chinese knock off's, especially for critical parts, OEM, IMO, is the best option.

So, I do agree the OEM pump is NOT poorly made by any means. It and different versions of it have been around for over a decade. Your mileage alone proves its relability.

However, keeping any electric motor cool (or cool as possible) will extend its life. Thus, I won't run my tank low (it's for pleasure and beating around town) just for that reason. :thumbup:

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Another thing that I lately noticed, is that my bike rinse better (livelier) if I put brand name gas like Shell, BP, Mobile, etc. Over the no-name brands. Especially on a warmer weather (80+).
Dono, maybe it's air/fuel mixture plays role... or just my impression....

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another thing that I lately noticed, is that my bike rinse better (livelier) if I put brand name gas like Shell, BP, Mobile, etc. Over the no-name brands. Especially on a warmer weather (80+).
Dono, maybe it's air/fuel mixture plays role... or just my impression....

I'm no expert on fuel, but next to the Octane level, using brand name gasoline will result in better quality as they may add some sort of detergent. This is why I prefer refueling at the Chevron's, Shells, etc versus the generic stations.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
F-trip is an indicator that your tank is down to about 4 ltres left. Every tank will differ slightly
It is an indicator to 'fill' and counts how many k's since it got to that level.
I can get to 50 k's but i usually fil by 30 to play it safe
I am always surprised by how much juice is left, but after5 years I shouldn't be

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
"F-Trip" Fun - Trip is almost over you are out of Fuel! Blah

As for the fuel pump needing cooling, unless the tank is >1/2 full its only getting air cooling (pump is not submerged) for the exception of the fluid running through it and being dumped by the pressure regulator (its almost always recirculating).
JM2C, but i doubt heat is what kills it or even plays a factor.
Sediment and Debris, those are killers!

sinistro789

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got 80 miles out my reserve hahaha and thats driving fast and super smoothe, pulling the cutch in before red lights lool. only possible at 4 am I think the FZ6 or and sport bike for that matter will run better much farther on higher octane fuels. I only fill my bike with proper fuels like BP or shell no supermarket garbage. the additives they put in help the engine run very efficiently and economcally too if that is the goal. even more so with the super fuels.In the UK standard fuel is 95 octane grade, thats what I use most the time. Occasionally i treat her 98 or 99, those premium fuels have even more cleaning properties.Try fill up with a tank of 99 and you will notice power at the bottom end is much more potent, and the longer combustion really comes through on the highly tuned Yamaha power plant. The fizzer was born for the motor way, stay around 110/120 and you will easily get 200 miles. Stayng contant with these fuels is esstials or i find that they in fact burn faster.
as for you question or reserve . on windy roads dont plan on getting more than 30 miles windy or 50 motorway, nd as i said b4 depends what octane of fuel you are running and how smoothe your are from a stop and through the gears (if you are capable of driving like a grandaddy purp) hahha not me

i would say my max mileage is more than 200 and my minimum is less than 50 when in a hurry lol
how about you guys? anyone ran race fuels? @finallmpact i wanted to ask how good the bazzaz fuel controller works over stock? esp with your 2 bros. im liking the layout of that one compared to power commander im not sure why, how have your maps worked out for you?

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got 80 miles out my reserve hahaha and thats driving fast and super smoothe, pulling the cutch in before red lights lool. only possible at 4 am I think the FZ6 or and sport bike for that matter will run better much farther on higher octane fuels. I only fill my bike with proper fuels like BP or shell no supermarket garbage. the additives they put in help the engine run very efficiently and economcally too if that is the goal. even more so with the super fuels.In the UK standard fuel is 95 octane grade, thats what I use most the time. Occasionally i treat her 98 or 99, those premium fuels have even more cleaning properties.Try fill up with a tank of 99 and you will notice power at the bottom end is much more potent, and the longer combustion really comes through on the highly tuned Yamaha power plant. The fizzer was born for the motor way, stay around 110/120 and you will easily get 200 miles. Stayng contant with these fuels is esstials or i find that they in fact burn faster.
as for you question or reserve . on windy roads dont plan on getting more than 30 miles windy or 50 motorway, nd as i said b4 depends what octane of fuel you are running and how smoothe your are from a stop and through the gears (if you are capable of driving like a grandaddy purp) hahha not me

i would say my max mileage is more than 200 and my minimum is less than 50 when in a hurry lol
how about you guys? anyone ran race fuels? @finallmpact i wanted to ask how good the bazzaz fuel controller works over stock? esp with your 2 bros. im liking the layout of that one compared to power commander im not sure why, how have your maps worked out for you?

I Use 89 and had days, with 220+ before I fill her up.

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
I push to around 30-35 into the reserve. My last fill up, I was 32 miles into f-trip, 187.5 since my last fuel up and she took 4.67 gallons.

I usually don't go that far, but I like to use ethanol free gas, there used to be one by work and one by my house. The one by work closed down so if I can I push it until I get back home. Its It's about 65 miles round trip.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I normally put 87 regular (I think 95 EU equivalent) but no matter the grade, I noticed that sometimes it runs as a champ and other times it feels like pulling a trailer. That's what happened last time I filled up at "76" gas station. Next time I'll experiment with some brand name gas 87 and 93 or 94 octane and see the difference.

Reaction score
Visit site
I regularly run 20 or so miles into the reserve. Try not to make a habit of going further. For my 40 mile round trip work commute, if I fill up Sunday evening I can go until Thursday evening before filling. I've stretched it to Friday evening sometimes but it runs so heavily into the reserve by this point and because I ride harder now than I did a year ago I can guarantee I'll be stranded at some point as a result.

I use Trip A for total mileage since purchasing the bike (although it wraps after 10,000 miles) and Trip B for mileage since last fill.