Gas tank reserve

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
On Saturday's ride I ran out of gas in Pocono's mountains of PA. Just forgot to fill up beforehand and didn't pay enough attention on a dashboard. The good thing is that the bike stopped just near some garage in the woods down the road, with dirt bikes and a quad, where a guy gave me about half a gallon to get to a gas station 5 miles up.
Another good thing about it is now I know how much I can ride on a reserve :) - 41 miles on country roads before it shuts off. (Dono, some dirtbikes guys say you can lean bike on a side to pour some gas over from the bottom of the tank).
What does puzzles me is that the reserve miles are counting up instead of counting down like in cars. Why Yamaha didn't do that?? Instead of counting from 1 to who knows what... just start from 40 to 0. (or 30 to 0 to be safe). Even if approximate estimate, makes more sense to me :confused:

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Must be a software issue in order for our reserve to countdown. If you think about it, none of our features include how many miles remaining, even after you fill up. I was going to say that after 40 miles, your treading on thin ice. Being that you were on back country road may explain you didn't even get to 40. I think the highest somebody got was around 50. There are many threads about the reserve, just type in the keyword in the search area and you can read all of the people finding out how far they can go.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its really NOT the best thing to do, either running out of fuel or running it really low. (not counting pushing)

The fuel pump uses the fuel in the tank to help cool the electric motor inside.

Plus, you really don't want to suck up any crap into that non-replacable filter. There's a current thread right now where the op is trying to get his fuel pressure regulator working again correctly (likely crap in there)...

Just something to keep in mind.. :thumbup:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Think about how much less you'll worry about running out of gas when your dash gets a fancy counter that has you saying "Wonder how far I can get on this! Woohoo!"

I don't mind it personally since I know roughly what you can get based on riding habits, and depending on how I'm riding if it happens - I can guess the length of time I have. Don't need a computer to do all the thinking for me, as much as I like being lazy.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Its really NOT the best thing to do, either running out of fuel or running it really low. (not counting pushing)

The fuel pump uses the fuel in the tank to help cool the electric motor inside.

Plus, you really don't want to suck up any crap into that non-replacable filter. There's a current thread right now where the op is trying to get his fuel pressure regulator working again correctly (likely crap in there)...

Just something to keep in mind.. :thumbup:

Yeppers! once crap gets into the fuel bump,,greater issue = times+ $$ LOL...I never leave my bike less than 1/3,,,always fill up once 1.3-1.5 gallon left (1 bar I think)..

Good luck!

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
What does puzzles me is that the reserve miles are counting up instead of counting down like in cars. Why Yamaha didn't do that?? Instead of counting from 1 to who knows what... just start from 40 to 0. (or 30 to 0 to be safe). Even if approximate estimate, makes more sense to me :confused:

I always think about it when i have to fill the gas(when i hit reserve;)).
Mine's a 08 and i'm sure tech is not there at that time. And yes, they added in later models.

My friend in India owns an FZ15(150cc) and the problem is , he doesn't see a fuel gauge at all like us, all he see is number of km in countdown mode.
Problem with that is, if the fuel station(not self service in India) guy/pump is cheating you, you cannot know correctly.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My friend in India owns an FZ15(150cc) and the problem is , he doesn't see a fuel gauge at all like us, all he see is number of km in countdown mode.
Problem with that is, if the fuel station(not self service in India) guy/pump is cheating you, you cannot know correctly.

On my old KLR 250 (no gas gauge), I would simply fill it to the top, re-set the odometer and know I could run safely to say 200 miles on the odometer.

It did have a reserve/on/off lever but it was ALWAYS left in the on position..

afx600

Reaction score
Visit site
This brings up a question I have kind of always wondered since I bought my FZ6 this year. How do you know when you hit reserve? My fuel gauge has gone to where the last bar blinks, but does somewhere on the cluster change to let you know you've hit reserve and you have about 40+/- miles before you're out? It's a 2006

Last edited:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
This brings up a question I have kind of always wondered since I bought my FZ6 this year. How do you know when you hit reserve? My fuel gauge has gone to where the last bar blinks, but does somewhere on the cluster change to let you know you've hit reserve and you have about 40+/- miles before you're out? It's a 2006

Blinking means reserve, basically.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. The odo will turn to count up the miles.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I have the owners manual as a PDF for the S2 (same for the fuel tank) if you need it. PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send it to you. All that info is in there as well as other pertinent info..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IIRC the reserve capacity is just shy of gallon. So if you average 50mpg and see the fuel bar flashing, once it starts counting its pretty safe bet you could go at least 35miles on mostly level terrain. If however, you dog it and get 35mpg, well, you see where this is going.
Point: I'm all in favor of counting up. No math to do if you know your averages. Avoid step hills and first gear!

Had to look it up.... :rolleyes:

Fuel tank capacity:
19.4 L (5.13 US gal) (4.27 Imp.gal)
Fuel reserve amount:
3.6 L (0.95 US gal) (0.79 Imp.gal)

afx600

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! I appreciate it. I have the owners manual at home, and figured it would probably be in there. I'm at work though so don't have it with me figured I would ask while I am thinking about it.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys, I don't know where I'm calculating wrong, but once i hit reserve and go into 20-30 miles in F-Trip, I fill her stomach with some juice, but I noticed that it takes less than 4 Gallons each time, even after filling till the top, where the filter is, a couple of times, I got a couple of mm more than the filter.
I cannot fill more than 4.5 Gallons, USA.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/attachments/the-bar/56732d1432085870-who-else-uses-fuely-image-jpg

I used the above image to show the logs on the amount of Gas I fill everytime.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^
You've noticed the fuel level Warning latches on, yes (F-Trip)? So once it toggles into "Reserve Mode" it stays there.
In short, once it trips to "ON for any reason, it stays there. i.e. leaning over, travel up hill, and travel down hill.

This leads to fueling early.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys, I don't know where I'm calculating wrong, but once i hit reserve and go into 20-30 miles in F-Trip, I fill her stomach with some juice, but I noticed that it takes less than 4 Gallons each time, even after filling till the top, where the filter is, a couple of times, I got a couple of mm more than the filter.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/attachments/the-bar/56732d1432085870-who-else-uses-fuely-image-jpg

I used the above image to show the logs on the amount of Gas I fill everytime.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of app is that? You got a link?

You can get more fuel in your tank but you have to go deeper into that trip meter between 40-50 miles but be careful you could go dry. You fill up using the centre stand?

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of app is that? You got a link?

You can get more fuel in your tank but you have to go deeper into that trip meter between 40-50 miles but be careful you could go dry. You fill up using the centre stand?

What phone do you use? So I can provide accurate link.
Nope, side stand the gas station I usually go has an uneven pavement on all of its 6 pumps.
I'm scared to do 40-50 on the reserve, I'll keep a small bottle of gas with me(and then go for a ride) and see until it almost runs out.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Well, it sounds like you have approx 1 to 1.5 gallons left when it starts blinking. If your getting say 45 MPG, you have another 45 miles until your pretty much dry.

As noted earlier, running the fuel tank that low is NOT GOOD for your fuel pump, the fuel cools the pump.

IMO, I don't let it get below 2 bars max. Doesn't take 5 minutes to fill up, why chance "pushing" or extra wear and tear on the pump, sucking crap into the filter, etc.. Just my 2cts

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it sounds like you have approx 1 to 1.5 gallons left when it starts blinking. If your getting say 45 MPG, you have another 45 miles until your pretty much dry.

As noted earlier, running the fuel tank that low is NOT GOOD for your fuel pump, the fuel cools the pump.

IMO, I don't let it get below 2 bars max. Doesn't take 5 minutes to fill up, why chance "pushing" or extra wear and tear on the pump, sucking crap into the filter, etc.. Just my 2cts

Your 2cents worth a lot of dollars against bills over fixing stuff.
Just for the heck of this fuelly tracker I put gas once I hit reserve. Didn't want to check " partial fuel-up " while logging, some small OCD :p