GAS is going up what are you paying

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
The thing that burns my ass is that you can have 5 gas stations in a row, and all 5 of them will have a different price. I don't see how one shell station can sell regular for 3.18 and another shell station 3 miles down the road has regular for 3.38, and the chevron next to that is 3.57 for regular.

the cost of doing business has more involved than one product. there is the rent/mortgage of the facility, how much money they make on other products, how much of a loss they're willing to take on one product to get you in the door to buy another product, etc. when you think about it, it really makes a lot of sense. thing to find out is why? does one place have lower rent? does one place sell enough sodas to take a loss on gas to get you in.

out of everyone who takes a hit when gas prices go up it's the stations. they make pennies on the dollar for the gas you buy. add to that the idea that is becoming more prevalent in this country ... "if i want it i'll take it" ... or ... "i don't have to pay you for your work because i don't think it's worth that and i don't want to" ... and now you have people who fill up and drive off. they think the gas station owners have enough money and i deserve this tank of gas because i'm special. now they not only didn't make their pennies but they have to replace what someone stole from them.

also, gas station owners are like any other business. they are not going to knowingly price themselves out of business. sure, they could charge 15 bucks a gallon, but no one would buy it. they know the station down the road has it $.20 cheeper. based on their books and what they know about their business they can't do that.

mdd770

Reaction score
Visit site
$3.19 in north Houston.
I did put ethanol (E-85) into my SUV today. It's rated for it.
That was $2.89, and 10 cents off that if you have a grocery card.

Can't run the bike on that, but my fizzer gets 55 mpg. Truck gets like 15-20.
So ride the bike, it is! More fun, and saves a ton of money for the around town errands. Gym, bank, store for small things, etc.
I added a magnetic tank bag I got for xmas, and that holds quite a bit.
It was on amazon by the way.

It's in the mid 70's here now, so it's good riding. Cold at night still tho.

Getting a new back tire tomorrow, and maybe some new grips. Sweet.
Fight the gas prices! Launch all motorcycles!

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as each station's gas price I think it's when the station takes delivery and the price at that time.

JPH

Reaction score
Visit site
Eastern North Carolina $3.389 to $3.459.

As far as Pricing goes... I got cheap gas in South Carolina a few weeks ago. However, at the same station I also paid $3.80 for a '5 hour energy' that I can get at Sam's club for $1.60. Also the state tax on gas in SC is like 0.25 cheaper than here in NC. The profit margin on gas is still pretty slim. That has a lot to do with why the price fluctuates so much. There's no buffer for supply price changes.
Thank goodness we finally got the hybrid thing working decently. IE a small engine tuned for peak output at a specific RPM which feeds a storage battery that in turn powers electric motors. For years it has been an issue of battery capacity and motor size/weight. The blueprint that Chevy has with the Volt is an ideal scenario. You can easily change that to eco deisel power etc and have very efficient energy usage. Especially if we get some more nuclear power plants built for the at home charging that the Volt uses for it's first 40 miles. Now, it (Volt)needs to be a much more affordable initial purchase, but i think we are on the way.
I die a little each day that the weather forces my 18mile round trip commute to be in the 16MPG F150. I keep thinking, "crimeny with a car loke a Volt I would NEVER have to fill the tank." I have yet to rack up more than 40 miles getting around town Mon - Sun. Even a ram around town on the weekend usually only hits 36-38 miles. Say What! Gas only needed for out of town weekend jaunts! That's like only 15 tanks of gas a year in stead of 115!
Untill a 'Volt' style car becomes more affordable... I'll be commuting on the FZ as much as possible.

cobra

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm a noob on the site and this my first post.

I just worked it out for you north americans,

$7.83 per us gallon is what we are paying here in Eire. That's €1.49 per litre in mainland earth!!!

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Eastern North Carolina $3.389 to $3.459.

As far as Pricing goes... I got cheap gas in South Carolina a few weeks ago. However, at the same station I also paid $3.80 for a '5 hour energy' that I can get at Sam's club for $1.60. Also the state tax on gas in SC is like 0.25 cheaper than here in NC. The profit margin on gas is still pretty slim. That has a lot to do with why the price fluctuates so much. There's no buffer for supply price changes.
Thank goodness we finally got the hybrid thing working decently. IE a small engine tuned for peak output at a specific RPM which feeds a storage battery that in turn powers electric motors. For years it has been an issue of battery capacity and motor size/weight. The blueprint that Chevy has with the Volt is an ideal scenario. You can easily change that to eco deisel power etc and have very efficient energy usage. Especially if we get some more nuclear power plants built for the at home charging that the Volt uses for it's first 40 miles. Now, it (Volt)needs to be a much more affordable initial purchase, but i think we are on the way.
I die a little each day that the weather forces my 18mile round trip commute to be in the 16MPG F150. I keep thinking, "crimeny with a car loke a Volt I would NEVER have to fill the tank." I have yet to rack up more than 40 miles getting around town Mon - Sun. Even a ram around town on the weekend usually only hits 36-38 miles. Say What! Gas only needed for out of town weekend jaunts! That's like only 15 tanks of gas a year in stead of 115!
Untill a 'Volt' style car becomes more affordable... I'll be commuting on the FZ as much as possible.

Although the volt is just a rebadged Korean car I do not see myself buying another GM. I purchased 2 brand new GM's, one in 2006 and the other in 2009 and both literally started falling apart within the first 20,000 miles on them. They were EXTREMELY unreliable cars, they spent more time getting fixed then getting driven. Our 11 year old Hyundai with nearly 200,000 miles was more reliable than our new GM's lol. Our New 2011 elantra non-hybrid car gets over 40mpg and is super nice (push button start, nav, voice command, heated front and rear seats, etc) and does fantastic in the horrible snow we get up here in WV (in the mountains so we get snow in feet not inches). No need for a 4x4 and terrible gas mileage if you have snow tires unless you haul stuff a lot. At least not for my needs anyway.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

$7.83 per us gallon is what we are paying here in Eire. That's €1.49 per litre in mainland earth!!!

I realize we're paying cheaper prices than a lot of other countries but try to remember the percentages and ratio of men to sheep :BLAA: is much less here in the US and the same with horses compared to other countries so instead of us milking a goat or riding to the store for milk on a horse we use the automobile...:rof::rof: Hahaha Only kidding! :rockon:

:welcome:to the forum!!!! :D

Edit: I usually gas up with the good stuff but it's now $4.079 for premium

Last edited:

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site

:welcome::welcome::welcome:
There they make you go to school to be a better and safer rider [more people shorter distances]:rolleyes:
Here in the US don't need to know anything but we got more space to make mistakes in;)
Or am I missing the point? LOL

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Up to $3.75/gal for the cheap stuff, 87 octane. Time to find a closer job, even if it means less pay. Either that, or minimum insurance as required by the state, junk the cell phone, and eat less, plus no more weekend drives/rides. Second option is the most likely, as jobs are scarce. Definitely no vacations of any sort. This blows, driving and riding is about the only thing left that I can somewhat afford to enjoy. I don't even have my own place, and now I can't even escape!! /End Rant

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
went up three cents over night. my wife and i are at the point now that when we've used anywhere from 1/4 - 1/2 tank we fill up. because we don't know what it's going to be the next day. especially if saudi arabia goes under. and higher fuel prices mean higher food prices. good things are not in the near future.

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
We (the refinery I work at) don't get any crude from the middle east. Most of our stuff comes from Mexico and we'll get some Russian stuff every now and then. We run heavy sour crude, it harder to run but the crack spread is higher vrs sweet crude. Also all the gas we, and the other 3 refinerys close by, make goes up to the east coast. And just cause you fill up at a shell brand gas station doesnt mean your getting gas from a shell refinery. It all mixes in the same pipe line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking of a little utility scooter to go food shopping with.....Maybe a big ruckus bagger!