fz6 wheelies

wely324

Reaction score
Visit site
started practicing wheelies the last few weeks, and made a little video of what they look like now. trying to get to that true balance point...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdh1j-kd7LE]YouTube - FZ6 first gear wheelie[/ame]

wely324

Reaction score
Visit site
for anyone that is curious here is a detailed description of how im doing these wheelies. these are clutch wheelies.

first thing to remember is cover the rear brake the entire time and make sure the lever is properly adjusted so your comfortable as well.
i start rolling any where from 10-15mph in first gear. i then open the throttle to a certain point (and try to remember the feeling of that position), as the bike starts to accelerate slip the clutch. you want to slip the clutch the same every time. as the bike comes up, adjust the throttle to maintain balance or use rear brake if you go past the balance point.
now depending on how far the bike comes up you need to adjust the amount of the throttle you have before you slip the clutch, which is why its important to have a feeling of your wrist position or how much gas your giving so you can adjust. the key is starting slow and progressing by adding a little extra throttle each time. for me my progression went slow as i wanted to make sure not to wreck the bike, so my wheelies were barely coming off the ground and were actually quite pathetic, but just remember to keep the rear break covered all the time, it will give you the trust you need to give the bike some power to get it up. As i began getting the front wheel up I was able to learn how to give throttle to adjust the height, and now I'm working on trying to get to and stay at the true balance point, so the wheelies will be get longer :)

also dont just pull the clutch in and then dump it. I use 2 fingers, some people use 1, but the key is to slip the clutch with control, but still quick.

this is a great video for video explanation of wheelies and what i used to learn. He goes through everything.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z1KK9wokDc&p=D7C329BCCF46B6B0&playnext=1&index=74]YouTube - New Wheelie Tutorial-No Bull****[/ame]

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i always cringe when i see someone do a burnout, what a waste of good tire that is.

vid turned out pretty good though, we pretty much have no straights in my area, curves everywhere so there are few places to practice a wheelie on.

LeaN69

Reaction score
Visit site
I only did a wheelie in 1st gear once, didnt even have to pop the clutch, just sit back and roll on bike came right up. I use the clutch to bring it up in 2nd gear, right around 30-35mph seems to be working best. Looks good now try bringing it a bit higher almost until you feel like you want to take your feet off of the pegs, then stand up off of the seat.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love to wheelie my bike but I am too scared of flipping it to try, therefore I keep the front wheel on the ground.

The only time it came up was the first time I went to Cape Town, I pulled away from a light and the extra power at sea level brought it up. I don't know who was more surprised, me or my wife on the back :eek:

wely324

Reaction score
Visit site
I only did a wheelie in 1st gear once, didnt even have to pop the clutch, just sit back and roll on bike came right up. I use the clutch to bring it up in 2nd gear, right around 30-35mph seems to be working best. Looks good now try bringing it a bit higher almost until you feel like you want to take your feet off of the pegs, then stand up off of the seat.

how does the 600 give you that much power? there is no way way i can power wheelie without going over a hill or rolls in the road.

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
how does the 600 give you that much power? there is no way way i can power wheelie without going over a hill or rolls in the road.

Heck, based on my own experiences from my new(er)bie days, any mcycle will do a wheelie, especially at the worst possible times and the conditions are right (again, usually when one is not thinking about it :eek:). Back when I had a 250 Enduro, some idiots were goofing around near where my bike was parked. Just as I started it up, one of them made a sudden move toward me as though he was going to push me over...my immediate reaction was to just gas it and pop the clutch - WHEEELIE...scared the hoohaa outta me (and they had a good laugh - like I said, "idiots"). Regained my balance after a few feet and fortunately was able to stop the bike on 2 wheels, rubber side down.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Just slide a little further back on the seat and roll on it real fast in first....it will come up,and I weigh 220lbs.. :rockon: :thumbup:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah, i have rode a few accidental wheelies with the gf on the back of the bike in 1st gear by giving it a little too much throttle. it is easy to do.

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent 'how to wheelie' video!

Watched it and went for my first real wheelie outing after work yesterday.

I tried to wheelie a while back and only spun the rear. After watching the vid, I wheelied almost perfectly the 1st time!

GREAT fun and VERY easy to lift the front. :cheer:

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
love stunt puppies

I am 60 years old. I have ridden motorcycles all of my adult life. Had different types of bikes.
I have this incredible urge to learn to wheelie.
I love watching stunt riders. It amazes me what they can do with a bike.
I make trips to the mountains to watch young guys in my area do stunts.

Three things I wonder about is:

How many bikes have they crashed and how many bones were broken learning to do advanced stunting?.

When learning to wheelie, does slamming the front wheel down damage the front end?.

What is a drift?.

Last edited:

Taku

Not a senile member.
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: love stunt puppies

Q1 Many I believe...

Q2 Sudden moves are never good for a bike but if it is just random wheelies every now and then it wont harm too much.

Q3 [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxYiWOJ59Vg]YouTube - Driften mit dem Motorrad - Bernd Hiemer[/ame]

soundgarden

Reaction score
Visit site
[Q
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z1KK9wokDc&p=D7C329BCCF46B6B0&playnext=1&index=74]YouTube - New Wheelie Tutorial-No Bull****[/ame][/QUOTE]

I really wanted him to jump off that trailer...yes too many action movies