FZ6 vs R6

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Everyone,
After my recent track day I want to go back. Bad.
But... my FZ6 is my workhorse, I go touring on it, commuting, pleasure rides. I do NOT want to hurt it.

So.... Track bike is needed. I'm not ready to dump money just yet, but I started looking.
07-09 FZ6. I am on an 08, so I know the bike and love it. The prices online ain't too bad for one.
or
04 or newer R6. People seem to not think these depreciate. But, I feel this is obviously a better choice for the track.

What do you all think? Should I spend less on an FZ and upgrade it? Or straight to the R. I love Yamaha too much to ride anything else.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No questions about it.. R6. I had FZ6 and FZ1 and R6 for the track. Have had FZ1 on track several times (never took FZ6 on track) and ended up getting R6 just for the track. It's not just the much better and very adjustable suspension, it's the ergonomics. Just like FZ6 is built for the street, R6 is built for the track. You will instantly feel like you're on the right bike when you're on R6 on the track.
I had a 2005. Oh and the bonus is a lot more top end on R6, which you'll appreciate once you do enough track days.

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
Friend has an 08 I do like that models looks a lot, his has been very reliable had it from new its got about 25k on it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
R6 hands down. But if you want to be different and grab another FZ and fix the suspension $1,500 and then go after the cosmetics and tune. For another say 3k total you could have an FZ that makes you grin and is different than anything else out there. Of course Id fix the suspension on the daily ride too!

Both have cast frames so a wreck is likely a total right off either way.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Surely performance wise the R6 is better than an FZ6, and spending $$$ on a FZ6 just to emulate an R6 isn't worth it, but... it also depends on how "disposable" that money is. And take into account what if you won't have as much time as you hoped for this- then it'll be blocked cash, not to mention totaling it... Also keep in mind that sport bikes usually see more abuse than their naked counterparts. Don't know what are the prices in your region, but if FZ6 in great condition were 2500 and "tired" R6 were 3500 (needing another 500 or more)... maybe for some that's quite a difference, maybe for others it isn't much. If the difference isn't a concern, just get the R6 and get some training. If money is a factor, get a FZ6, then get training, then get a R6 fork, and then, if the bike still is the limiting factor and you're still doing frequent track days... sell it for an R6.

I've seen one guy (instructor) on a stock r1200gs with adventure tires (demo bike off the showroom) fly by 70% of all the bikes on track, including prepped R1s with track fairings, slicks, suspension, etc... The actual skills (and the effort and time needed for acquiring those skills) for maxing out even a stock FZ6 are much higher than what most people think or will ever achieve.

If I were to get serious with track days I'd get a modded SV650- again not sure what your prices are- but I remember seeing one with Andreani fork internals, Ohlins rear shock, race rear sets, upgraded front brakes and steel lines, race exhaust and air filter... all this for the price of a stock FZ6 in good shape. And it would out corner and out brake any stock R6 up to at least 120kmh (from where the power difference would compensate). Also much easier to learn on and cheaper to fix if crashed than any R6. By the time I'd "graduate" (if ever) from the modded SV650, I'd be better than 90% of amateur track riders.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ good post. Its like how many people utilize the tires to there full potential!!? Few. Now do you need a bike capable of twice what you're able to do with it or is it about having fun? Fun comes in many ways.. .. ..

O/T but a car forum I'm on absolutely cracks me up as these folks lower them tell they drag bits and do all this poly suspension w/ coil overs and cosmetic crap and 3/4 of them will bounce off the road should it have any anomalies in it. Everyone has their own thing. If it makes you happy, do it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What year R6s would you recommend?
Anything I should look out for on them?

R6S pretty much stayed the same throughout its run. 2005 is the "cool" year, because it had the upside down fork. There is nothing specific to look out for. Typical used motorcycle inspection will do. Hopefully you'll be able to find one that wasn't abused too much.
Alternatively, go straight for a track bike. You may be able to find a sorted one for 3k. Sure they get ridden hard, but they also have all the protection in place and all the add-ons which you'll eventually be putting on yourself, if you keep going to the track. Those add-ons can quickly add up to $$$.

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
I wish I still lived in NY, could have taken a look at it. Just moved to South Carolina a few weeks ago.

Right now the funds are (kinda) there. I could buy one, but I shouldn't. I really should go ahead and fix up the old Seca 550 sitting in my garage first. Plus still need to look for a suit, boots and all that fun. All my current gear is very touring oriented.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With 2005 R6 and later models using the same engine be warned of a high risk of main bearing failure! I know of at least 5 bikes that had that issue, and heard of guys swapping them every 20k kms as "preventive maintenance". All that on stock engines.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are the FZ6s subject to that same issue? I have an 08 and now you're scaring me

The FZ doesn't wind up as high and most are not on the track running WOT most of the time.

There's nothing to be scared about, the FZ base engine is solid as a rock, the most dependable bike I've owned in 45 years, hands down..

Go ride and enjoy..