FZ6 vs. FZ8

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 has 33,000 miles on it and a new bike is in my mind. FZ8 is interesting as is the FZ1. The FZ1 and Ninja 1000 are two great bikes, not that the FZ8 isn't. What I really like about the FZ6 is that is is pretty quick but not so fast that you can't play a little before being way aver the speed limit. The Ninja 1000 is geared too high to be able to "run thru the gears" with 1st going to 80 MPH or so. My Ninja 250 was great on secondary roads, you could go up and down thru the gears and have a blast without going too fast. FZ6 is much quicker but able to play some.

Agree with comments about the FZ8 filling the gap between the FZ6R and the FZ1. The 800 will appeal to many who think that a 600 is just too little - but who would never use the performance it has. Many Americans seem to be all about the appearance and know nothing about real world performance. My next bike will probably be a newer FZ6 or a CBR600RR - wish the bars were a little higher on the CBR. Love the scream of an inline 4 although the Triumph and MV Agusta 675's are very interesting (interesting $$$$$ as well).

Rode my FZ6 home today - temp was 103 F. No problem at all for the bike and I'm loving that white helmet.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Reading some more on the bikes and the comments here I can't help but think that if any of us were to walk into a Yamaha dealer with no knowledge of the fz6 and wanting a bike like the fz6 and not a starter bike like the fz6r the fz8 would stand out like a shining star. Since price has been mentioned remember that we're not talking about used bikes, the fz6 had a Msrp of about $7500 while the fz8 is around $8500 and the fz1 being around 10500, and remember I'm talking about Msrp. So the fz8 isn't that far off from what a new fz6 sold for while being a good bit cheeper then the fz1, with some good negotiating skills I'm sure a new fz8 could be had for about the same as a fz6. I realize the we are all pretty attached to our fz6's being that they are in our eyes the best all around bike out there, well in another 10 years who's to say that the fz8 won't have the same following long after the fz6 is just a thing of the past.

Man I just read what I've been writing and I should be a Yamaha salesman lol. I guess what I'm getting at is that if we could forget that the fz6 ever existed then I bet the fz8 would be at the center of our worlds.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
When looking for bikes, I saw the 8 online and thought it looked great. The only bike I liked better was an Aprilia shiver. If I could have found 1 at a decent price, used since new is quite expensive, I might have picked it up.
Sat on and fz1 and the position sucks! You need a nut cushion from sitting against the tank. The side rails on the frame are painful to the legs when stopped.
Now the 8 could have been like that, I don't know. But I do know that I wish the 6 never had a fairing. I can say I have little love for getting blasted square in the upper chest by all the wind.
Don't get me wrong, I do like my fz6, it is fun and has been reliable but in its stock trim, doesn't stand out really aside from the undertail exhaust. It would have been much better if it had been fully naked instead of a little wannabe fairing. All that wind forces me to wear ear plugs cause it sends so much up under my helmet that the pressure causes pain in the ears.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The 8 is a beautiful bike however the 1 is a much better value. Insurance is the same. My 1 was $275 a year for full coverage. The 1 also has, more power, an adjustable suspension, and you can buy a nice, clean late model bike for about $5,000 to $6,000.

Interestingly the 8 guys "upgrade" with the parts that the one guys get rid of. They LOVE the 1 shock, whereas the 1 guys can't wait to get rid of it. The 8 guys LOVE the 1 forks, whereas the 1 guys are putting on R1 front ends.

The way I look at it, buy a nice used 1 and come out much further ahead value wise, with plenty of money for mods.

Or you could buy a Tuono V4R, keep it bone stock - no mods needed, and still only pay $275 a year in insurance and have better performance than the 1 will ever have. But I digress. :D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Go to the sister site and read what they say about the 8. . .

The Hates:
Seat = discomfort
Pipes = to quite huge and Fugly
Buzzz = at 5 - 6k

Some things don't change! :rolleyes:

and others so scan about and glean what you can. . .

I'd opt for the used 1 vs this. It just doesn't make enough extra torque numbers to meet my needs so unless its like the steal / deal of life time, not gonna see one under me. That's not to the 1's don't have pros and cons. . .

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For me, I love the look of the 8 but it is not available in this market. I have only ever seen one in the flesh and that was at Silverstone last year.

6 only came here faired as did 1, but I would love this 8....

2012_FZ8-N.jpg
I would like that bike, the fact that the 8 isn't as popular adds to it's uniqueness.

Nelly

revapi

Reaction score
Visit site
if i was going to buy a brand new bike today i would have a kawasaki z750 or a monster,all about the same price.