FZ6 troubles

WatchThisPlay

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been having some issues with what I believe to be the kickstand switch or the clutch sensor switch. Bike would not fire unless it's in neutral, and as soon as I put it into gear it would die even with clutch pulled in. That's been happening for a month. It will normally let me go after a few tries so I've been dealing with it. I just went on an hour ride and now an hour after I parked the bike it won't start at all. Fuel pump is not priming like normal, starter works but no fire. I've searched and read some post but I'm still not sure where I should start.

I would greatly appreciate all insight.

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds sort of like you've got a sticky clutch safety switch. I would pull it off, give it a little bit of dielectric grease and make sure the contacts aren't rusted or disconnected. Once you've got it back together, cycle it a few times and make sure it's not getting stuck in (which would tell the bike that the clutch is not pulled in).

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Couple years back if i stalled at the lights- bike wouldnt start if in gear and clutch pulled . Had to find neutral before it would start
I squirted some wd-40 into the clutch switch and never had issues since.
Your problem sounds a little different but i hope this is of some help

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

Last edited:

WatchThisPlay

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds sort of like you've got a sticky clutch safety switch. I would pull it off, give it a little bit of dielectric grease and make sure the contacts aren't rusted or disconnected. Once you've got it back together, cycle it a few times and make sure it's not getting stuck in (which would tell the bike that the clutch is not pulled in).
I'll pull it off and take a look. Would this cause the fuel pump not to kick in when turning the key on?

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
It would not, but the fuel injectors don't come on when you turn the key anyway.

The noise we hear when turning the key on (if the run/stop switch is on), is the fuel pump priming the fuel rail. Since there isn't really a reason for the fuel rail to depressurize (unless the bike has sat for a while), then it's completely possible that the fuel pump might not need to prime the rail at all.

It seems to me like you have two completely disconnected issues, or perhaps your run/stop switch is the faulty item.

WatchThisPlay

Reaction score
Visit site
It would not, but the fuel injectors don't come on when you turn the key anyway.

The noise we hear when turning the key on (if the run/stop switch is on), is the fuel pump priming the fuel rail. Since there isn't really a reason for the fuel rail to depressurize (unless the bike has sat for a while), then it's completely possible that the fuel pump might not need to prime the rail at all.

It seems to me like you have two completely disconnected issues, or perhaps your run/stop switch is the faulty item.
Thanks for the clarification. The missing sound of the fuel pump is what I was trying to refer to LOL. I was under the impression that it always turned on that's the only reason I mentioned it. Learned something new.

WatchThisPlay

Reaction score
Visit site
Does the clutch safety switch cause the bike not to start if the clutch is not pulled in while in neutral?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, now that I read your question carefully, the clutch safety switch would not cause that. The more I think about your issue, the more it sounds like a faulty run stop switch.

kinderwood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If it was the run/stop switch it wouldn't run in neutral either. I think it's your sidestand switch since it dies when you put it in gear. You can put the instrument panel in diagnostic mode and check d20 for the switch operation, see factory service manual pages 8-37 and 8-40. If you don't have it either myself or someone else could walk you through it, there's a few steps but it's straightforward.

I had the same issue with my sidestand switch last year. Got all grimy and corroded on the inside.

kinderwood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another quick test would be to follow the kickstand switch wire to the blue connector and short the two terminals with a wire or paper clip. This will force the bike to think the stand is always up.

WatchThisPlay

Reaction score
Visit site
If it was the run/stop switch it wouldn't run in neutral either. I think it's your sidestand switch since it dies when you put it in gear. You can put the instrument panel in diagnostic mode and check d20 for the switch operation, see factory service manual pages 8-37 and 8-40. If you don't have it either myself or someone else could walk you through it, there's a few steps but it's straightforward.

I had the same issue with my sidestand switch last year. Got all grimy and corroded on the inside.
Does the side stand switch cause the fuel pump not to prime the bike? My bikes fuel pump is not priming when I turn the key, this started yesterday after my ride. I'll do that test on the bike and see what comes up.

WatchThisPlay

Reaction score
Visit site
Got the bike running. I went to test the relays on the left side under the panel by the seat. When I was messing with them the connector right beside the two relays got pulled completely out. Plugged it back in and everything is now in working order. Glad it was an easy fix. Thanks for the help everyone.

warthogcrewchief

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you got your problem fixed.

I had a similar issue last week on my '05. Turns out the PO rigged up the clutch safety switch by shorting it to ground (via the horn ground wire). Turns out if both wires going to the clutch safety switch are not closed (connected) and grounded, it will not work. One of the two wires will allow for ignition, and the other will allow for cranking/fuel pump. I could hear the relay (under the left side cover) click on when I grounded one of the wires.

Either both wires need to connect to ground or I've got some jacked up wiring! :Flash: