FZ6 to R1 comparison

Howattzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello FZ6 riders,

I traded in my 2007 FZ6 for a 2008 R1 over the winter and have a few words on comparison for those who may be thinking of replacement bikes.

Initial thoughts:

Appearance. The R1 is dead sexy. I went for the Raven (black) model, added a few goodies right away like Puig Racing dark smoke windscreen, flushmount signals, FE kit, Pazzo shorties, etc..... Several members of the fairer sex have already commented on it, and I have only been on 3 rides. It is a total babe magnet. :thumbup:

Comfort: Surprisingly good. Anything above 70 mph and you are in the sweet spot of wind on chest taking away the weight on your wrists. Completed a 300 mile day (back to back 300 mile days, in fact) and no overall complaints. Stops for fuel resulted in a slight stretch of the legs, but other than that all is well. I am 6 feet, 190 pounds. Not as comfortable right away like the FZ6 was, but hardly noticed it after a while.

Power: The bike is a rocket, no surprise here. The ability to carry speed is unbelievable. Effortless in any gear, regardless of RPM. I just hit 600 miles on the odo over the weekend and now I am more comfortable hitting the higher rpm range. If you are not hanging on, expect to be left behind when you crack the throttle. Even at lower rpm there is more than enought torque to scoot you forward at a very rapid rate. To say it has a great deal of power is an understatement.

Handling: I used to fling my FZ around like a toy. The R1 takes more finesse, for sure. More body input, weight on the footpegs, etc... Once I get the handling dialed in I am sure it will be where I was at on the FZ, and shortly after that I expect to surpass that level.

Overall: Yes it was more expensive. The overall riding experience of being on an R1 made me quickly forget the almost $9000 price jump into the R1. Worth every penny that they charge and those considering moving into a supersport, please take a look at the R1.

Last edited:

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice post. The R1 is a monster! I doubt I could handle it. I'll have to enjoy it through you.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
A friend of mine bought an R1 at the same time I bought my FZ6. The R1 is sexy, powerful, fast, and way to much bike for me. Have fun with it and be safe.

V

VDITRAINING

so...the comparison??? I'm confused..... there wasn't one....so why even title it that way? why not just say I want to brag about having the coin to not only buy an R1, but insure it as well, and to gloat that I have a far far superior bike in all aspects.

I'm going to go write a "comparison" from my dads ford ranger and my uncles F550 now...I've truly been inspired.

J

jsteinb95

so...the comparison??? I'm confused..... there wasn't one....so why even title it that way? why not just say I want to brag about having the coin to not only buy an R1, but insure it as well, and to gloat that I have a far far superior bike in all aspects.

I'm going to go write a "comparison" from my dads ford ranger and my uncles F550 now...I've truly been inspired.

wow....you really are an a$$hole. Yep, shoulda banned you a while ago.

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site

It's all good!You really can't compare the 2 and insurance really is no that much more, when I checked it was like 20 bucks more than my FZ.

Howattzer

Reaction score
Visit site

Shame on me for for not writing how an FZ6 looks, feels, and handles. I assumed that here on an FZ6 forum most riders would already know what an FZ6 is like.

We have not met, but I already know that you are a putz. And I am sorry you can't afford the things you want. I am not sorry for providing some insight to a question that many ask: what bike should replace the FZ6? For me, it was an R1. Hopefully someone who was in my shoes, seeking a different bike, will have more information now than they did prior to reading it. That is all.

Last edited:

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL..good job mr VDI wasnt all menstural the day steph purchaced her Busa..imagine the flaming

on a serious note ,it appears the natural progression of sport bikers is to move up to superbikes ,its a good heads up of what to expect..CHICKS!!

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

...Not as comfortable right away like the FZ6 was, but hardly noticed it after a while...

...I used to fling my FZ around like a toy. The R1 takes more finesse, for sure. More body input, weight on the footpegs, etc... Once I get the handling dialed in I am sure it will be where I was at on the FZ, and shortly after that I expect to surpass that level...

...Yes it was more expensive. The overall riding experience of being on an R1 made me quickly forget the almost $9000 price jump into the R1...

Those sure look like comparisons to me. :D

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it is a very beautiful bike. i think i would go for the blue one. if you are in to serious racing bikes like that, it makes me wonder why someone would want to get an R6 instead of the R1 (other than the added cost, but obviously that can be a large issue... especially with insurance). i would LOVE one someday. i steered towards the fz6 mainly because i had some neighbors with gixxers who said while they loved their bikes, they could only last about 30 minutes on them due to the discomfort caused by that 'monkey humping a football' riding position. to each their own i guess. gotta say though, the only discomfort i've experienced on my fz was the helmet starting to pinch and perhaps the freezing friggin cold... but hellooooooo spring!! :cheer:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you like it!

The R1 is definitely high on my list of next possible bikes(if I live long enough)

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Never rode one myself but once this baby is paid off I might be looking into a used one if the price is right.

V

VDITRAINING

Shame on me for for not writing how an FZ6 looks, feels, and handles. I assumed that here on an FZ6 forum most riders would already know what an FZ6 is like.

We have not met, but I already know that you are a putz. And I am sorry you can't afford the things you want. I am not sorry for providing some insight to a question that many ask: what bike should replace the FZ6? For me, it was an R1. Hopefully someone who was in my shoes, seeking a different bike, will have more information now than they did prior to reading it. That is all.

since you don't know me, you can hardly make claim on what I can afford. No bankruptcy preceedings in my future. Thank you very much.:cheer:

Howattzer

Reaction score
Visit site
since you don't know me, you can hardly make claim on what I can afford. No bankruptcy preceedings in my future. Thank you very much.:cheer:

Did I nail your girlfriend/wife recently and you just found out? :spank:

Go back and review your posts and maybe you will see what an arse you have been.