FZ6 PodMod lights.

H

HavBlue

i want to do this with them acting as indicator lights. Anyone know how to hook them up as running lights that will still blink?

That would depend on a few things. Taking a lead from the existing dual element lamps on the front should be easy. However, the additional load on the flasher may cause a change in the timing if the bulbs being used draw too much current. The smaller bulbs like those used as clearance lights in many modern vehicles may do the trick. I had thought about this myself as these bulbs would fit in the factory holes of my 04 no problem. I would like to have the rear come on with the brakes too.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm doing this tomorrow. I got my hands on amber bulbs in Halfords. The code for these bulbs is 501A. I'm assuming A stands for Amber! :):)

I'll take a pic which will show the new amber running lights (will convert them to indicators when i have the time) and you can also see the headlight mod that I did using biker dudes wire harness! :)

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I have heard that the 03 R1 pod lights are identical. I am plannin on ording those sockets and mounting them up. Anyone else tried this?

-bryan

avogt18

Reaction score
Visit site
I had taken off my stock signals on my 07, and kept the bulbs and wireing, and just mounted them in the pod's location. pods are parking lights and signals. very simple job, very clean....
lsl4.jpg

tintedscreen.jpg

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In the US the little bulbs that go inside the headlamp pockets are not installed from the factory.
Where you live if I am right they come installed. Basicly I made my bike like yours.

Here is a before and after pic.
Why don't Yamaha just import the same bloody bike? Good job though Steve, I bet it was cheaper than if yoy had to purchase all the European stuff.

W

wrightme43

I am on your side Neil. Why the heck dont they let us have the cool bikes?

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Here are mine with blue LED bulbs and before I put my flushies on (largest ones I could find that would fit through the drilled hole!). Mine do not act as additional signals; lights only.

DSCF1813.JPG

Full write up here: Boneman's "FAZED" web site - Mods:pod Lights

Since blue forward facing lights are technically 'illegal', I also wired in switch that is hidden yet usable under the rubber mirror boot and a small green LED to let me know if the lights are on or off. You can see the small rocker switch to the lower left of the green LED.

DSCF2987.JPG

People often ask "Well if they are illegal, why have Blee LEDS? Why not use White or Amber?". My reason is simple: VISIBLITY! Not for me, but for the motorists. Christ, most claim they don't see me with my high beams on, so having two more little white LEDS won't help much. At least Blue is a different color that people are not used to seeing and may wake them up a bit. I have received 1 ticket in 2 years riding with them (hence adding the switch so I can turn them off if I get behind a cop car) but it's a price I'm willing to pay to help avoid being hit. I also told that to the cop who ticket me. She agreed with me and uderstood why I had them, just that the letter of the law states they are 'illegal'.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are mine with blue LED bulbs and before I put my flushies on (largest ones I could find that would fit through the drilled hole!). Mine do not act as additional signals; lights only.

DSCF1813.JPG

Full write up here: Boneman's "FAZED" web site - Mods:pod Lights

Since blue forward facing lights are technically 'illegal', I also wired in switch that is hidden yet usable under the rubber mirror boot and a small green LED to let me know if the lights are on or off. You can see the small rocker switch to the lower left of the green LED.

DSCF2987.JPG
That is sweet. Also illegal in the UK.

W

wrightme43

Do you get a helmet lock, I really mishaving one.

Yeppers, I dont use it very much. I read about idiots that just cut the strap steal the helmet and ride with it backwards on thier stupid heads. I just take the it with me.

W

wrightme43

I disagree.
Euro standards for emmisions are higher.
DOT maybe but if it passes Englands standards it passes ours as well.
I believe it has more to do with people not buying them here because they arent 1000cc bikes.
Its crazy but people act like 600s are small. I wish there were more 400cc bikes.

H

HavBlue

I disagree.
Euro standards for emmisions are higher.
DOT maybe but if it passes Englands standards it passes ours as well.
I believe it has more to do with people not buying them here because they arent 1000cc bikes.
Its crazy but people act like 600s are small. I wish there were more 400cc bikes.

Nope, just different and not capable of passing in California. DOT and EPA hold it all up. Think about the Nissan Skyline.

S

sportrider

not to be a thread jacker but, hey Steve you have a helmet lock?