FZ6 out, R1 in...

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
An update:

I am having trouble cornering the R1 with the sam e confidence as me FZ6. I have watched the Bike Cornering Bible videos, and that helped tons. However, I still can't feel the edge.

I can get the same corner speeds on a test corner near my house as with the FZ, but I can't help feeling that the R1 has more to give. The main sensation is that the R1 feels numb. The FZ communicated what it did really well.

Anyway, I may just need more practice.

Dial your suspension properly - it will make a world of difference.
Also take advanced riding clinic - I just finished Lee Park's total control Level I and I am very impressed. I understand it is not available outside of NA but you can at least buy his book and I guarantee that if you read it and practice you will be much better rider on your R1 and any future bike.
Lee's book - [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Total-Control-Performance-Street-Techniques/dp/0760314039/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341748930&sr=8-1&keywords=lee+parks+total+control]Amazon.com: Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques (9780760314036): Lee Parks: Books[/ame]
Book he wrote with racetech on suspension - [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Techs-Motorcycle-Suspension-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760331405/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1341748956&sr=1-1&keywords=racetech+suspension+bible]Amazon.com: Race Tech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible (Motorbooks Workshop) (9780760331408): Paul Thede, Lee Parks: Books[/ame]

I read lots of book and articles on how to ride (including twist of the wrist, proficient motorcyclcing, etc) but Lee's stuff is just plain simple and easy to understand. And course is even better - very happy that they finally brought it to Canada.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Practice is good.:thumbup:

You've gone from a bike that you can pretty safely 'give it the berries' to something that will hand you your head if you muff it. If the R1 feels numb, it's because you aren't going fast enough to make it work.

I have the same issue with the ZX6, without the fear of wheel spin/lofting the front wheel.... it's plenty quick enough, but it's really hard to find anywhere on the street when I can 'push' the suspension at all.

I put about 30+ miles on a 2011 Brutale 1090rr. What a difference, narrow, feels like your sitting on the front wheel, torque up the nads, instant throttle response, turn in is just a breath away. . . The thing is so nimble it's take some getting used too. What was funny is after dialing in the FZs suspension I thought the turn in was sick, but its nothing compared to that. Needless to say i was effortlessly through the hair pin corners on the Fiz while my riding bud was good at the loose corners. . . I need to ride more bikes!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
An update:

I am having trouble cornering the R1 with the sam e confidence as me FZ6. I have watched the Bike Cornering Bible videos, and that helped tons. However, I still can't feel the edge.

I can get the same corner speeds on a test corner near my house as with the FZ, but I can't help feeling that the R1 has more to give. The main sensation is that the R1 feels numb. The FZ communicated what it did really well.

Anyway, I may just need more practice.

My 09 R1 was so much different than the FZ6! One of the things you'll find with the R1 is you are going through the turns at equal or better speeds than the FZ6 but as you said it feels numb.I believe this is because it is a different bike and you have to work it less than the FZ6. The other factors can be the riding position feeling more confident to you on the FZ6 because you're more upright as apposed to the more forward ergos on the R1. You being the same pilot on both bikes means you have equal skills on both bikes so you should be able to get the R1 through the turn at the same pace or quicker. How much quicker? It's going to be you're skill in the end to determine that. The Pre 09s were the best looking R1 but the crossplane crank is such a great motor!