FZ6 NO START condition

sjcjack

Reaction score
Visit site
Wifes' brand new FZ6 kept dying yesterday during 2 60 miles rides. Well, when she would try to start it, the starter would just click click click. First time it happened I thought that she somehow jammed the starter..but after 4 times I think the battery/charging system/wiring isnt right. Anybody had similar issues?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes - it's definitly the battery. Check the connections and if you can't get the thing to hold a reliable charge and don't like pop/bump/push-starting it, then buy a new battery.
________
Wireless Vaporizer

Last edited:

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
If it is brand new, I think I would talk the the dealership. Your battery should last at least a year before needing a replacement!

sjcjack

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, bump starting it (me pushing her 20 ft in traffic in full leathers) wasnt much fun!

Either Battery, charging system, loose connection etc. I figure. Will look at it tonight. As you said, its under full warranty, so if nothing obvious, its heading to the dealer....

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
For what it's worth, I still have the original battery in my 2004, live in a cold weather climate, have killed it several times to the extent that I needed a push start, and have never used a tender.

Good luck!
________
Alraune live

Last edited:
S

sportrider

not saying its this(hopefully) but my brother bought a R6 in 2003 when it had 78 miles on it the flywheel either broke or came unbolted(the dealer fixed it) and the bike wouldn't start. you could hear the starter spin but it wouldn't engage. but odds are its just a battery.;)

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
My bikes twin had a stator problem.

The shop had my bike apart as a reference piece 3 days before I bought it. Yamaha has had charging system problems on other bikes ough*yzf450, wr 450*cough.:Flip:

You may want to get that checked out. I made sure the shop checked mine before I road it out.

sjcjack

Reaction score
Visit site
well, checked out all connections, etc. No problem, so dropped it at the local dealer. Mechanic will check it out, but said that some of the new batteries (gel type or semi-sealed type) require the caps to be left open for 30-60 minutes after adding the acid, for the perculation to start workin' the battery cells..... He sez that if you close up the battery too soon, it won't have enough "chemistry" to hold a charge. Now, I'm an engineer, and find that tough to believe...but it could be true (I'm not a battery technology expert...) We'll see!

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
well, checked out all connections, etc. No problem, so dropped it at the local dealer. Mechanic will check it out, but said that some of the new batteries (gel type or semi-sealed type) require the caps to be left open for 30-60 minutes after adding the acid, for the perculation to start workin' the battery cells..... He sez that if you close up the battery too soon, it won't have enough "chemistry" to hold a charge. Now, I'm an engineer, and find that tough to believe...but it could be true (I'm not a battery technology expert...) We'll see!

Well if it is necessary to bleed some of the gases off of the battery as it charges then it is something that should have been done at the dealership before you were handed the keys!! But they shouldn't give you any trouble over it. Hopefully.:rolleyes:

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
The original post was months ago but he never replied with his fix to the problem. Just in case anyone out there has a similar problem, I'll share what happened to me...

I had similar issues. Bike would start and run fine for a couple miles, then it would actually die while I was riding. I could restart while I was rolling but it would die again within a couple miles. I thought I had bad fuel. Then it eventually would not restart at all after dying. Turn the key and "click click click" or nothing at all.

Luckily I was riding with a group and most were mechanically inclined. We stood under a bank drive-thru cover for an hour, torrential Florida rain pouring down and lightning blasting everwhere. Finally they figured out the problem... my kill-switch had gone bad.

The switch wires were cut, switch removed, wires tied back to each forming a loop, electrical tape covering the hole where the red rocker switch used to cover and it ran like a charm.

By then the rain stopped, sun came back out and we kept riding. To be honest, I still haven't bought a new switch ($60 for the stupid thing). My bike has ran perfect but has the electric tape still.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
echanic will check it out, but said that some of the new batteries (gel type or semi-sealed type) require the caps to be left open for 30-60 minutes after adding the acid, for the perculation to start workin' the battery cells..... He sez that if you close up the battery too soon, it won't have enough "chemistry" to hold a charge.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that some of that is wrong.

H

HavBlue

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that some of that is wrong.

I would agree. Battery gas can cause a drain but to be bad enough to keep the battery from actually starting the bike would be a real reach to me.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes - it's definitly the battery. Check the connections and if you can't get the thing to hold a reliable charge and don't like pop/bump/push-starting it, then buy a new battery.
Would totally agree with Defy, a few folk have reported similar type problems. If the bike is left standing for a while and alarmed it will suck the juice out of the battery.

Neil

H

HavBlue

Would totally agree with Defy, a few folk have reported similar type problems. If the bike is left standing for a while and alarmed it will suck the juice out of the battery.

Neil

If the alarm and battery are in good working order this won't happen for days. How do I know? Got a very good alarm on the Harley and it has sat for days while armed with not an issue 1........

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"He sez that if you close up the battery too soon, it won't have enough "chemistry" to hold a charge"

In my neck of the woods that is called BullSh*t and I would make sure he knew it.

Steve

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would agree. Battery gas can cause a drain but to be bad enough to keep the battery from actually starting the bike would be a real reach to me.
As we all know I am not an engine mechanic, give me a broken person any day of the week. I digress; my father was an old school grease monkey who ran a small business repairing autos. I can remember watching him fill batteries and leaving the caps of for a good hour. He always said it was a safety precaution due to the build up of hydrochloric gases. He never mentioned chemical reactions?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If the alarm and battery are in good working order this won't happen for days. How do I know? Got a very good alarm on the Harley and it has sat for days while armed with not an issue 1........
Hi Charlie,
My friend has a Datatool system 5 on his 2005 R6. He had to purchase three batteries last year due to lack of use. I don't know if this is because of the alarm wiring or poor earth. He has recently purchased a battery save.
Neil

I should add that my friend is the most fair weather rider you would ever meet. He rides his bike about once every five weeks.

Neil

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
get the dealer top get you a new battery, you can try jump starting it off your bike and seeing if it starts with no problems off your battery to be sure also. (note, if you jump it from a car then do not have the car running and disconnect it as soon as you getthe bike started)