FZ6 Fuel Economy

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been considering the purchase of an FZ6 this spring, but a little concerned about fuel economy. The Yamaha website list the FZ6 at 40 MPG according to EPA test. That does not sound too good to me for a 600 cc bike. I was wondering what it does in the real world. I would appreciate it very much if some of you could tell me what fuel economy you get (max, min, average, MPG). Please state if using U.S. gallons or Imperial gallons.

Thanks

I get about 40 miles to the US gallon when it is below 40 degrees out, when it is warmer i get about 48-55 depending on how i ride it.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. This is a popular subject that has been discussed a number of times, along with how far you can go on reserve. As a member, you can utilize the search tab and type in keywords that will help you find threads in the past relating to your questions.

But for the most part, a lot has to do with your riding style and your weight and the type of riding you do, city or rural or freeway. And make sure your tires have the correct air pressure. With this in mind, probably can be up to a 10 mpg difference between certain riders.

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
My best has to be around 45 or so. Yet, I have a bad tendency to "grip it and rip it" so 40 sounds about right. It is a truly fun bike had mine a year and put over 15 grand on the odometer........:thumbup: also :welcome:

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never figured out my MPG never really cared, I did not but it as a cheap mode of transportation.If that is what I wanted I would have a scooter!

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
I put 5000 miles on in about 5 months. I do the mileage calculations all the time because I'm an idiot and have nothing better to do (I'm semi-retired). I've never gotten worse than 40 mpg US and almost always get between 45 and 48 mpg. On long trips, especially using the highway a lot, I get 50-52 mpg. It's really super mileage for the power this bike has on tap. If mileage is a big concern then you should have no trouble adjusting your riding style to regularly get 50 mpg. I feel very lucky because I could have afforded to buy a more expensive bike. But after doing a lot of research and trying many friend's bikes, the FZ6 is, IMHO, one of the best deals on the market. Beautiful, agile, light, and power to spare but easy to tame.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the FZ6 as my main commuer to work and keep my speeds at 70-85 MPH. I have almost 7,000 miles now. I check my tire pressures often and its usually at 36 front/ 38 rear. I am a 180 LB rider and I average around 47 MPG. On the Yamaha website it shows the R6s with better gas mileage than the FZ6. I wonder if its true in real world situations...

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
I average around 45 mpg on my '06 and I keep it wound up pretty good so there is power available when needed. One thing that may have already been mentioned, altitude makes a big difference as well as temperature. I can ride all over San Diego and get about 45 mpg. If I go up into the mountains for fun in the twisties and ride enough to be able to burn off a few gallons, I'll get close to 50 mpg. Not sure what your altitude is in Michigan but I do know it's cold there (bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!)

chas54

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode to HotSpring Ar. from Ia. last Aug. with a group of friends, gold wingers, a little over 1800 miles in 6 days speed 55-75mph ave. 61.85mpg for the trip. on mostly two lane roads I guest it is in the right hand

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Besides rider's weight, riding style, air pressure, roads, etc., you have to seriously consider on how everyone figures out their mileage.

Assuming that everyone can do basic math and know how to calculate mpg, you have to wonder how everyone fills up?

Are they getting their figures by filling the tank using the center stand or using their side stand. You can probably get almost another gallon in by using the centerstand, which will dramatically effect your mpg. Do they fill the tank up to the very top, past the metal plate? Etc.....Our tanks are only 5.1 gallons, even just a few tenths of a gallon can effect the overall mpg.

Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on your riding style and routes you should average between 38-47 mpg.

As far as the FZ6...great bike and plenty of go. I looked at a some others in the 600 cc range and wouldn't trade.

But that's my opinion:rockon:

tum226

Reaction score
www.rollahome.com
I tend to get around 45 mpg. I have gotten 50 mpg before with strictly freeway travel. The fz6 has a nice big tank so I can always go a lot farther than my riding buddies can.

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a numbers guy. My fairly new '08 with 2,600 miles it has settled right at 45.5 mpg with all city commute. Funny though, I don't seem to get better mileage on the freeway.... maybe because I cruise at 80 mostly.

Regardless, I always fill up between 160 to 180 miles on a full tank.

KimsChance

Reaction score
Visit site
I am not sure that I am posting in the correct thread, so I apologize in advance. Here is the question(s): 1) On the digital gauge, when the fuel gets low, there is one bar and it will flash continually, and the trip meter starts counting up. Does anyone know how many more miles are safe to ride? I am getting about 153 miles before this happens, and generally stop and fill up. The tank is 5.1 gal - but I only need to put in between 3.1 or 3.7. Is the gauge WAY off and should it be serviced? I am thinking that I could go another 50 miles easily, but uneasy about doing so. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I am not sure that I am posting in the correct thread, so I apologize in advance. Here is the question(s): 1) On the digital gauge, when the fuel gets low, there is one bar and it will flash continually, and the trip meter starts counting up. Does anyone know how many more miles are safe to ride? I am getting about 153 miles before this happens, and generally stop and fill up. The tank is 5.1 gal - but I only need to put in between 3.1 or 3.7. Is the gauge WAY off and should it be serviced? I am thinking that I could go another 50 miles easily, but uneasy about doing so. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Well based on what you said a simple mpg equation will answer your question.

153 miles/ 3.7 gallons = 41mpg

Generally speaking, the fuel guage starts flashing when you have about 1 gallon of fuel left. You can see that with one gallon left, you can go approximately 41 miles.

I wouldn't push past 30 miles since you don't really know your true mpg until you refill.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually get around 43-45mpg average. I weigh dang near 300lbs, so it's like riding two up. The most I've gotten was 285miles on a tank with the reserve light flashing and about 80 miles on it... ;) Still had some sloshing in the tank too... That was SUPERLUGGING!!! The lowest I've ever gotten was 40ish(39-41)mpg. That was hammering the heck out of it on the curves... Like said before... It's a really good at everything and what sold me was the upright riding position. A 6'3'' 300lb guy doesn't look right bent over a cbr or a gixxer...

EDIT: on the longest tank I got near 55-57 mpg depending on what was left in the tank.