2006 FZ6 W/ 490 Miles

Thorpiticus

Reaction score
Visit site
Price Already Dropped to $5300 For Forum Members Only!

Well Ladies and Gents, the time has come. A few short weeks ago, you guys convinced me to keep my baby instead of trading it for a Triumph and boy am I glad you did!

Unfortunately, my car has fallen a bit under the weather lately and, as my primary means of transport, I have no choice by to put some money back into it. With that in mind, I've decided I should probably let the FZ go for now.

Anyway, the Craigslist link is here: 2006 Yamaha FZ6- Only 490 Miles!! $5500 OBO

FZ6Forum folks get first dibs, but I really need to get the bike sold before the end of the week so that I can get my car back on the road. This is a sad time, but hopefully a temporary one. I hope to get back into the family as soon as my finances even out a little, so save room at the table for me! Thanks for looking and for all the help so far! -John

EDIT: I just remembered that Craigslist postings are frowned upon, correct? Anyway, I'll just cut and paste the info below and you guys can pm/call/e-mail me with any questions. Thanks! -John

If you’re ready to buy and don’t need to be convinced, here are the quick and dirty details:
-2006 Yamaha FZ6 with 490 Miles
-Asking $5500 OBO, entertaining all offers
-Located in Auburn, AL or Sandy Springs/Buckhead/Atlanta, GA
-E-mail me (John) at the Craigslist address above or call me at 404-310-4505

If you need a bit of convincing or some light reading, here you go:

600cc, 96hp, 0-60 in 3.3 seconds… and a comfortable, upright seating position? Must be a dream, right? Nope! It’s your next bike! And it’s ready for you to break it in!

Whether you’re a two-wheeled novice or a seasoned expert, Yamaha’s FZ6 is the perfect bike for you. Yes, you! If you’re looking at this ad, it’s because you’re at least remotely interested in a sport touring motorcycle and I must advise you- look no further. You’ve found the best one out there.

Here’s a quick overview for the uninitiated: With the FZ6, Yamaha essentially made a more comfortable and drivable version of their legendary R6 Street/Track bike. The FZ provides a more upright seating position, using a raised handlebar and placing the foot pegs lower and farther forward than on the R6. The FZ also enjoys a more linear and usable power band than the R6, with more power available across the entire RPM range.

What does all of this mean? It means that you can go way too fast and still be comfortable! If you’re like me and value comfort highly but don’t want to sacrifice any performance, this is definitely your bike. It’ll do 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, but you don’t have to see a chiropractor afterward. You still can if you’d like, though, with all of the money you’ll save on the FZ’s insurance. Since it’s classified as a sport tourer, your premiums will be much lower than on a sport bike.

As far as the mileage, it is not a misprint. This bike has only covered 490 miles in its lifetime, so it is not technically even past break-in (which is 600 miles) yet. It has, however, been properly broken in so for with no extended operation over 7k RPM.

As far as other nice features of the bike, the FZ comes with fuel injection (never mess with a choke again!), electronic ignition, a fully digital and backlit instrument cluster, and a dual undertail exhaust system.

Fortunately for you, this bike also comes pre-seasoned. Yes, that’s right, the previous owner of this bike lowsided it on the left side, resulting in some mildly rashed plastic. Luckily, though, the only damage was some scuffed up paint on the left side plastics.

So, in short, there is NO MECHANICAL DAMAGE. The previous owner replaced the scratched crankcase cover and I purchased a piece to replace the only cracked area. I’ll include that piece in the sale. That leaves you with the decision of whether to paint the rest of the bike.

I originally intended to paint it, but then decided that I preferred to ride the bike and had no intention to show it, so the paint would be a waste of my funds. I have gotten an estimate of $300 for a full paint job, though, and can refer you to that shop. This, of course, will be factored in to the price.

Anyway, sounds like an awesome bike, right? So I must be crazy for selling, right? Well, yes and no. Here’s the deal: I’ve owned the bike since August and bought it to commute back and forth to work, meetings, and class. My commute, though, is usually less than 5 miles every day (hence the low mileage).

Though a motorcycle is certainly more convenient for the commute, A) I’d be in better physical shape if I’d get off my lazy butt and ride my bicycle instead and, more importantly, B) I’ve got a few repairs I’d like to make to my car, and that requires liquid assets. In the end, I really don’t need to sell the bike, but I also don’t need to keep it. So, if I get an offer that is close to what I’m asking, then the bike goes off to a new home!

If you’re still not convinced and you need more info, here is a great review of the bike: http://www.amadirectlink.com/riding/reviews/2006/FZ6/FZ6.asp
There are plenty more good reviews out there- just Google it!

As far as pricing is concerned, KBB says $5215 for average retail and NADA claims $5230. That price, however, is with 10,500 miles on it. Since this bike has only 490, I conservatively add $600 to the value, making it $5815. Then, I take into account the $300 in paint work and end up at $5515.

I’ll be nice and swallow the extra $15, so I’m asking $5500. I will entertain all offers, however please remember that this is a relatively rare, outstanding bike and that I’m not desperate to sell.

Also, the mileage may increase by approximately 5 miles per day, starting Saturday, November 1, as I am still enjoying the bike. I can guarantee, however, that the mileage will not increase more than 5 miles per day.

I’ll post more pictures Saturday afternoon when the lighting is better, and I’m more than happy to take and e-mail you any particular pictures that you would like. Feel free to contact me at the Craigslist e-mail address or on my cell at 404-310-4505.

The bike is currently located in Auburn, AL where I am in school. Auburn is 2 hours from Atlanta, Birmingham and just about everything else. I’m more than happy to show the bike at any time. My permanent residence, however, is in Sandy Springs, GA, and arrangements can be made for me to transport the bike there when you decide to purchase it.

I appreciate you looking at my ad and I look forward to passing this bike on to someone who can enjoy it as much as I have!
-John

P1020193.jpg

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you would help out your sale to show a bunch of pics, especially of the left side and damage done. People would be more inclined to offer some serious cash and come see the bike if they had a much better idea of what they are faced with. Kind of like those commercials for Carfax? "This car is HOT!!!" LOL! Seriously, put up an album on flickr, picasaweb, etc.... get all the angles, show the good and bad. You'll have more people interested.

I hope you can get it sold quickly and get back on track. Sorry you have to let it go!

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Good write-up!! That'll make a big difference in selling it.

I paid $6000 OTD for a new 2007 back in July. That said, you obviously have the right to sell it for whatever you can get (a 'new' [unsold] 2006 in my area recently sold for about 6K). I suspect that bikes sell for more $$ in your area since it's not so seasonal, the economy is probably better where you live, and I suspect FZ6s are more attractive to buyers (everyone up here wants cruisers or R6s).

I would think that the low mileage might be offset by the fact that you aren't the original owner and it does have a minor cosmetic issue. Depending on how much negotiating room you have, you might be fine (your ad does make you sound like a decent guy).

Most buyers will see such low mileage as a major plus, but a lot of short trips is harder on a bike than fewer, longer ones (especially for a new bike I think). Have you done the 600-mile break-in maintenance? That would be a good sales point (it only requires an oil change and checking bolts). At this age, the brake fluid and rad fluid are due to be changed too.

I think it would also be better to try and repair any damage than discount the price. Most buyers want something looking as new as possible and would prefer to pay a bit more for a bike than touch it up as soon as they buy it (in this case, they'd have to find a great deal on a paint job or replace plastics). It may sound like it's better to leave them the 'option' of fixing it, but given that there is a sea of low-mileage bikes out there you're narrowing down the pool of buyers a lot.

Last edited:

Nedlob

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you are selling the FZ, however your price is much too high. especially with damage. low mileage 07's are under your asking price. take a look at cycle trader. For the right price you will have no problem selling it. Guaranteed

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That has to be an FZ6 record, crashed under 500 miles since new. Someone should have told the previous owner that new tires are slick.

Add me to the list of the price high, just because the bike has been down and comes with damages. Looks like at least $500 worth of damages, if not more.

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
John, what area in Auburn do you live at? I was trying to picture the area. Good luck with your sale. I will listen out for potential buyers.Keep it chained up, we are having alot of thefts in Auburn. I was thinking about applying with the City of Sandy Springs at one time.

Last edited:

Thorpiticus

Reaction score
Visit site
Good write-up!! That'll make a big difference in selling it.

I paid $6000 OTD for a new 2007 back in July. That said, you obviously have the right to sell it for whatever you can get (a 'new' [unsold] 2006 in my area recently sold for about 6K). I suspect that bikes sell for more $$ in your area since it's not so seasonal, the economy is probably better where you live, and I suspect FZ6s are more attractive to buyers (everyone up here wants cruisers or R6s).

I would think that the low mileage might be offset by the fact that you aren't the original owner and it does have a minor cosmetic issue. Depending on how much negotiating room you have, you might be fine (your ad does make you sound like a decent guy).

Most buyers will see such low mileage as a major plus, but a lot of short trips is harder on a bike than fewer, longer ones (especially for a new bike I think). Have you done the 600-mile break-in maintenance? That would be a good sales point (it only requires an oil change and checking bolts). At this age, the brake fluid and rad fluid are due to be changed too.

I think it would also be better to try and repair any damage than discount the price. Most buyers want something looking as new as possible and would prefer to pay a bit more for a bike than touch it up as soon as they buy it (in this case, they'd have to find a great deal on a paint job or replace plastics). It may sound like it's better to leave them the 'option' of fixing it, but given that there is a sea of low-mileage bikes out there you're narrowing down the pool of buyers a lot.

I appreciate the comments! I'm jealous of you guys who are getting the bikes for such good deals, though. Our dealers are getting $7500 OTD for '07s, this bike was $7300 OTD and I can't find a single good used one on Cycletrader for under $5500.

It's nice, though, to get a barometer for the price as I can't seem to get a consistent value. I priced it at $5500 because I enjoy a bit of negotiating, though I fully intend to sell it for several hundred less. In fact, because of your feedback, I'll go ahead and change my FZ Forum price to $5300.

As far as the damage, the Yammie folks and their partner shop quoted me $300 total plus the front visor piece, which I already have. I preferred to buy the bike a little dinged so that I didn't have to worry about putting the first scratch on.

I see where you're coming from about people not wanting to spend money as soon as they get it, but I wanted to give people the chance to buy it as is if they'd like. I've gone back and forth a lot on the issue, though, and I appreciate hearing your input. I'll probably give it until the middle of next week, test the local market some, and then go ahead and fix it.

As far as the 600-mile service, I've gotten varied reports on that. Is it nothing more than an oil change and look-over? The Yammie place here hates me (they really wanted to buy this bike when I first got it, but now they have a chip on their shoulder because I got it before them) and seems to think their "service" is worth around $200. I can't see that I'll get that $200 back out of the bike unless I do the service myself (which I'm happy to do, if it's just an oil change).

The dealer has fully inspected it twice for me, though- once when I bought it and again the other day when I said I wanted to sell it. They found nothing wrong, so that gave me some confidence.

As for the original owner- he bought it and rode it twice before laying it down. It had 42 miles on it when I bought it!

Thanks again for the comments and please keep them coming! Also, please don't be afraid to make me an offer if you're interested. Like I said, I may not be desperate but I am motivated!
-John

Thorpiticus

Reaction score
Visit site
John, what area in Auburn do you live at? I was trying to picture the area. Good luck with your sale. I will listen out for potential buyers.Keep it chained up, we are having alot of thefts in Auburn. I was thinking about applying with the City of Sandy Springs at one time.

I live right off of Old Fraternity Row/Magnolia Avenue. Your welcome to come by and take a look if you'd like. I appreciate the help and the heads up! The bike is chained up, so hopefully the only person who takes this bike will have to leave some cash first.

Sandy Springs is a wonderful place to live, so keep it on your list if you're ever looking again. I've lived their most of my life and love the proximity but distance of everything, if that makes sense.

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I live right off of Old Fraternity Row/Magnolia Avenue. Your welcome to come by and take a look if you'd like. I appreciate the help and the heads up! The bike is chained up, so hopefully the only person who takes this bike will have to leave some cash first.

Sandy Springs is a wonderful place to live, so keep it on your list if you're ever looking again. I've lived their most of my life and love the proximity but distance of everything, if that makes sense.[/QUOTE

I will try to ride by and check it out when I am working again.

Thorpiticus

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'm back in motivated seller mode. School and work got busy for a while and, with the weather being all right, I was able to either take the bike or steal my girlfriend's car. :thumbup:

Now, however, my car is getting worse and my need to sell is getting stronger. Not a good combo for me, but it may work out for one of you lucky folks.

So... Any interest? Any offers? I'll include the 600-mile service, if that makes it more attractive to you. Just wanted to throw it back out there. -John

Thorpiticus

Reaction score
Visit site
...Still trying to sell. The 600-mile service has been completed, and I'll split the cost of repairs with you if you decide to make it like-new again. That's a savings of $200 for the service (I would've done it at home, but I wanted the book signed by a yammie mechanic in case future buyers ask) as well as $150 on the repairs. I'll even have the paintwork done before you pick it up.

Price would still be $5300 with all of that, so I'm technically knocking $350 of your overall cost. Any takers? Comments? Don't be afraid to make me an offer.

Thorpiticus

Reaction score
Visit site
Just thought I'd dig this thread up and see if anyone has any Christmas cash to burn. The bike is in Atlanta for the next week, and I really would prefer to sell it instead of toting it back down to Auburn.

I'll have it repainted and sell it for as close to $5200 as I can get. Anybody know of people looking for one? Any suggestions for a better/easier sale? I'm willing to take a hit on it, but the offers of $1200/$3000/$4000 that I've been getting seem a little low.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hes right at average retail..... MSRP on the 06 was $6799.....

2006 YAMAHA Road/Street FZ6

December 27, 2008
Motorcycle/ATVs
Model: FZ6
Piston Displacement (CCs): 600
Stroke: 4
Cylinders: 4

Speeds: 6

Dry Weight: 423

Low Retail Average Retail
TOTAL PRICE $3,975 $5,230

Which i personally think is crazy because average retail on my 08 is only $5895

Last edited:

Thorpiticus

Reaction score
Visit site
I appreciate the help. I know that if I wait until Spring I should be able to get a good bit more for the bike, but I just need cash more than a toy right now.