FZ6 compared to the FZ6R

magicc8ball

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok well i went up to the local Yamaha dealership to test ride 09 fz6 and got there and well it was sold. They had a FZ6R sitting there and i asked to ride that one instead because i was lead to believe that they were pretty much the same bike! I was told by the dealer that there are many differences. Can anyone please elaborate on this?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The 6R is about 72 HP as opposed to the 94 hp of the 6. 6 = aluminum frame, R = tube steel frame. Full fairings vs 1/4 fairing. Realistically, the two bikes are vastly different and share little between them. The 6 is more powerful and less linear. The R is more linear and less powerful. Yamaha moved the torque and power to the mid range and took a lot off the top end. The R is quite smooth throughout. My wife owned the R and I've owned two FZ6s. :D It really is a great bike if you're looking for a ride that will commute and carve in tight places. For running it out or top speed runs, the R is not the bike you want to buy.

So, what type of rider are you? What have you ridden in the past? :D

magicc8ball

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks FZ1inNH. that answers all the questions i had.

Well right now i ride an old 96 suzuki gs500e. It is a great starter bike but now im ready to step it up and get a newer sportier bike. I really like how the 6R handles amazing i enjoyed the ride alot. It really felt like it could just dirve it self, I dont know that is the best way i could describe it haha.

I plan to get the FZ6 but i was just wondering what the difference was. Here in the next couple of days im supposed to go back up there to test ride a new 09 fz6 and feel the difference for myself.

As to what kind of rider i am. I am not sure do to my limit in riding. I have ridin plent of dirt bikes but ya.... I do know i do not want a super sport i like having my feet straight under my and not pushed further to the back of the bike.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
you will never run out of power on a fz6 , except if you're looking to top out fast in a straight line then you need a 1000cc bike like fz1

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Althought the FZ6 has a lot more power it is concentrated in the top end. I read in BIKE that at 6000 rpm the FZ6R makes 20% more power. It is more useful. When I had my FZ6 I don't think I eve saw past 10k rpm, so all the power on top was not useful to me. The FZ6R is built more on a budget, but supposedly addressed a couple of the sticking points with the FZ6 (more low end torque and smoother/lighter clutch). FZ1inNH did your wife sell the FZ6R?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6R has 2 pot front brakes, like the 04-06 FZ6, 07+ FZ6's have the much better 4 pot monoblock calipers.

:thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One noteworthy thing: when you test ride 2 bikes back to back (if you're like me) you'll notice that FZ6R is more comfortable and the sole reason for it (again, if you're like me) is the handlebar!!
Majority of folks on here end up swapping their bars out on FZ6 because most of us find them very uncomfortable (too much back-sweep).
So.. don't let that be a deciding factor. FZ6R bar can be easily installed on FZ6 to give you the same feel, comfort-wise.

fz6pat

Reaction score
Visit site
When the bikes were introduced at the M/C show, I was able to do a side by side comparison. IMO the standard FZ6 seemed like a much better bike as far as build quality and bang for the buck. The R version just seemed to be much cheaper quality. I do like the full fairing on the R, and wish I had it on the standard version. I also currently have a Kawaski Concours and ZRX1100, both have 100hp+ engines. I feel the power on the FZ6 is fine, especially with the lower weight. I don't have any problem running it in a lower gear and keeping the revs higher than i would on the other bikes. I do miss the extra torgue the 1000"s give me, but only once in a while. I doubt that i would be happy with the R engine @72 hp.

magicc8ball

Reaction score
Visit site
One noteworthy thing: when you test ride 2 bikes back to back (if you're like me) you'll notice that FZ6R is more comfortable and the sole reason for it (again, if you're like me) is the handlebar!!
Majority of folks on here end up swapping their bars out on FZ6 because most of us find them very uncomfortable (too much back-sweep).
So.. don't let that be a deciding factor. FZ6R bar can be easily installed on FZ6 to give you the same feel, comfort-wise.

how tall are you Erci? When i did ride the fz6r it was so darn comfortable i was not leaning to far forward and well I dont know all around it was just comfortable. I cant wait to ride the fz6 in the next couple of days!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also of note. The FZ6R has an adjustable height seat as well as adjustable handlebars (20mm forward or backward) :D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Being the dead of winter, and a fair number of used bikes on the market I'd think you could pick up a like-new FZ6 for much less than a new FZ6R. I just don't see the FZ6R being a good value, I think for what it is, it is way too expensive; 2 pot brakes, steel frame, smaller fork legs, steel swingarm, etc, etc.

Heck for the price of a new FZ6R you could buy a newer FZ1 with about 1,000 miles on it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how tall are you Erci? When i did ride the fz6r it was so darn comfortable i was not leaning to far forward and well I dont know all around it was just comfortable. I cant wait to ride the fz6 in the next couple of days!

I'm 5' 10". I too found FZ6R more comfortable, but as I mentioned only because of the handlebar.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The model years 2006 and up had their ecu's remapped to have more mid range power. What year did you own? I have the 06 and it has plenty of mid range POWAH!

Plenty is not the same as "a lot" :)

I agree 100% that FZ6 has plenty of mid range, but once you ride a 1000cc bike, you quickly realize how it makes FZ6 feel almost slow at sub-6k rpms.

magicc8ball

Reaction score
Visit site
well im defiantly getting the fz6 not the fz6r. well im 6 ft and have preety long arms so if i feel like im to hunched over then i will for sure get different bars that are higher up! I will also be getting a 07 and up used one probably. I want this bike to be my started but i would like to end up with a fjr1300. Those bikes to me are so sexy! haha

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
2006 or was it 2007?

It was a 2008 and I had it for 2.5 years and almost 11k miles. I am not saying it doesn't have enough power in the low and mid range. what I am saying is that compared to it's competition it makes most of its power in the upper rev range. I can feel the difference riding a monster and a VFR now (oranges to apples). The GSX650F that I finally got to ride had much more accessible power. Anyway, we digress...the FZ6 has many other virtues