FZ6 chain snapped need some advice

frostbite215

SLIMAGE
Reaction score
Visit site
Soooo.... Im new to riding and picked up my first bike this morning and I loved it..... Until I was doing 70 on the freeway and the chain snapped on me. Didnt lock up the tire or anything but instead what it did was get tangled up in the front part of the bike.. So I pull over and pop off the front little chain cover and turns out the chain actually broke off the bolt to the chain gaurd wich is connected to the transmission casing. So now I have a bearing staring at me and oil pouring out where the bolt snapped off the casing. Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the best fix for it, or prices that it may wind up costing me to fix. I'm a welder and was thinking of just welding the pieces back togeter and on but slightly afraid that it wont really hold. :confused: any helpfull info would be much appreciated. THXs guys

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes pics would help. Depending on what year bike you have it might be one with the front sprocket nut recall. If it is then perhaps the sprocket came loose and caused your problems.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure what your skill set is or what friends you keep but here is snap-shot of what you're up against. The output shaft needs replaced assuming the case isn't damaged a blown up or doner could be used if the expense of new is too much. . .

Pic #44 shows the sprocket and the output shaft it should be attached too!
https://plus.google.com/photos/1142...81/5174567829622044146?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1

IMG_0101.jpg

Of from here this should work too
https://plus.google.com/photos/1142...ms/5154166965616954081?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1

And take a look here - but put in your year. . .
Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2009>FZ6RYY/FZ6RYCY/FZ6RYCW/FZ6RYW>TRANSMISSION
Qty = 1, PM: 20S-17411-00-00 AXLE, $98.01

And your gonna need service manual too. . . Search Bonemans site. . .
Let us know what we can do! Hopefully your model is a recall unit and you get a free ride! Glad you're OK!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Therre's no re-call on your model year front sprocket nut.

If the chain broke due to a loose front sprocket or someone put on an aftermarket and re-used the nut (the Yamaha nut is NOT RE-USABLE). The original nut has a plastic feeling/looking ring right at the base of the teeth.

The stock nut has on the outer edge, a spot to peen it down to the shaft and acts as a lock nut.

It is very rare to have a chain just snap, even if poorly maintained. It'll make/feel all kinds of noises if service was lacking...

I bring this up in that if you bought it from a dealer, I'd be making some phone calls.

As FI posted above, if you can see the output bearing, its not good, its a main support for the transmission. Even if you were to weld it back, IMHO, I'd pull the transmission and get everything away from the work area as you'll be grinding to get to fresh aluminum, if the broken piece actually supports the main output shaft, you need to have your piece dead on with no mistakes...

Should everything not be 100%, you gambling with your life (and were VERY LUCKY you didn't go down this time)...

IMHO, I'd be making contact with the seller and try and return the bike or work something out... Documenting other lack of maintainance issues/safety issues(sprocket/sprocket nut, go over the whole bike) would make a better case on your part. Spounds like it let loose the same day you bought it :(

Should you have to keepe the bike, from what you describe, again , IMHO, I'd be looking at new cases (major $) or a a replacement engine(not as expensive but still alot of work)...

For what its worth, several bikes with certain frame sliders have gone down and on occasion, have snapped off the right side of the frame arm AND THE RIGHT SIDE ENGINE MOUNTING TAB... Of course the bike was totaled and the engine was also a parts motor at that point.

Being the optimist I am, look closely at the break in the case and make sure it WASN'T THERE BEFORE (EPOXIED UP FOR A SALE) and if so, take approproate action....

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, please post your final results..

Should you need a PDF Yamaha shop manual, PM me with an e-mail address to send it to..

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My bad - I was late and thought it read as if he snapped the output shaft!!!

Help failure. . . Disregard post above by Final Impact! :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank:

^^ +1 Pictures would be very helpful about now. . .

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My bad - I was late and thought it read as if he snapped the output shaft!!!

Help failure. . . Disregard post above by Final Impact! :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank:

^^ +1 Pictures would be very helpful about now. . .

Pictures would have been nice on the first post but I guess we'll never know...

BTW, whats up with the "multiple spanking" Randy?? Your making me nervous...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Pictures would have been nice on the first post but I guess we'll never know...

BTW, whats up with the "multiple spanking" Randy?? Your making me nervous...

I blame Final for that post he made :BLAA:

Ever since then there's been a bunch of these "never ending stories" pop up! "ATREYU!!!!"

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
a similiar thing happened to me although i was very lucky it didnt happen out driving out on the road.

Was cleaning my chain the other day before i tightened it, tightened it. bike was on centre stand, put the bike in gear just to check if chain was turning evenly. wheel wasnt moving.
removed front sprocket guard, no sprocket nut and washer, and the sprocket had slipped off the output shaft.

I have the parts ordered so should be back in action soon :rockon:

frostbite215

SLIMAGE
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry it took so long with any posts back.Unfortunately I'm also a noob to this site so had trouble even finding my way around. So I went back to the dealership and they are fixing it. Unfortunately they are only fixing it with jb weld/epoxy basically is my understanding. So Im hoping that I will be able to ride it for a few months before getting a new case. as for the pics. Im unable to upload any at this moment but I will be getting the bike back tomorrow evening and will post their so called fix online to get everyones thoughts. As for the picture you posted. It is the exact image for what Im going through. In that picture on the far far left just under the sprocket. That L shaped piece of metal is what broke off. Will post again tomorrow evening with pics. Sorry everyone. didnt mean to leave you all hanging.

frostbite215

SLIMAGE
Reaction score
Visit site
O and on a side note. Had my friend, who is an experienced rider of years come to take a look at it. I stand corrected. The chain didnt snap. Who ever put on the chain that was on the bike had incorrectly put on the master link. So it was the master link that actually came off causing the chain to disconnect from itself.

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no mechanical engineer, civil actually, but doesn't seem like JB weld will hold against the forces the sprocket puts against the bearing and casing there. You said the bearing was showing? I would make them fix it correctly, especially if they sold you the bike. Was there a warranty?

If it was just the piece that holds the sprocket cover then a little JB with paint should hold and may be pretty hidden. I don't think this is the case since you said you could see the bearing.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above big time...

Re-reading your first post, if you got this bike from this dealership and this happened right afterwards, IMHO, I WOULD, NO WAY, ACCEPT THIS "FIX". This is not the way to repair this damage, JB weld will NOT support that bearing. Worse case scenerio, the chain lets loose again, locks up the rear wheel, count on being the next fatality especially as you do ride the freeway. I would either return the bike (safety issues) or insist on new cases (that's if they have someone competant to do a compleat tear down). Just them "fixing it" in this manner, I would run from this dealership, period...

If you can weld aluminum, do you believe JB weld is stronger than your weld? Of course not...

Also, did the chain actually break or just come off the rear sprocket. Its extremly rare for a fairly well maintained chain to suddenly break.

If it was super loose from that dealership, or not gone over and inspected/adjusted, etc, you have a great case (no pun intended) against the dealership...That chain should not have come off... *It is indeed possible, that case was cracked before , "fixed", traded in and the load on the output shaft allowed that chain to throw off the sprockets once you had some load on it... The FZ has a pretty loose chain adjustment(1.75"-2.25"), it's not unusual for a shop to tighten the chain to 1" or so (which is more the norm). This is very hard on the chain, sprockets and output shaft bearing on the FZ...

Should you replace the case, they should be sold as a set... DO NOT REPLACE JUST ONE SIDE AND NOT THE OTHER.
Replace both as a set, castings sometimes changes internally and may not match with your other half (re-inforced area's not normally seen).

As a side note, back in the late 70's, my friend threw the chain thru his dads Kawasaki 350cc, 2 stroke, Big Horn. His dad replaced just the broken case, not the other side with it. (it did come with both case halfs). It leaked oil slowly after that from the transmission. He re-sealed it several times, still leaked. He got fed up with it and I got it. As posted above, the internal structural casting was indeed different and oil was seeping past those differences. I replaced the original good case with the new right side case, no more leaks....

Sorry for my rant but it seems your getting shafted big time and I don't want to see anyone get hurt...

Last edited:

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I recently did a sprocket and chain change and need clarification.....

The stock sprocket nut cannot be reused??? How about the axle nut???

If not, should I replace it with another stock one or is there a better replacement out there?

Please let me know before my nut falls off! :p

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I recently did a sprocket and chain change and need clarification.....

The stock sprocket nut cannot be reused??? How about the axle nut???

If not, should I replace it with another stock one or is there a better replacement out there?

Please let me know before my nut falls off! :p

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

The front sprocket nut is designed to be used ONCE, so no, its not re-usable. If you look closely at the sprocket output shaft, you'll see a flat. Once the NEW nut is torqued down, the edge of the nut should be peened or squashed down over the flat. That acts as a lock nut and is very effective...

As for the rear, main axle nut, its reuseable. :thumbup:

In the future, if you can, please start a new thread, its easier on folks trying to help the original poster's problem(s).. :)

Last edited: