FZ6 alternatives??

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
I crashed my fz6 in France a week ago, not sure if its a total loss or if it will be repaired.
I'll post pics as soon as its back in holland, I'm fine, leather suit protected me well.

Question: I'm considering getting a different bike if its totalled and I get the cash from the insurance.
What bike can be properly compared to the FZ6, but maybe with better wind protection and if possible more power..

I'm gonna take a look at a fz1 but from what I've read, yamaha's may not be the most smooth bikes out there. ofcourse I'm gonna take test rides and such.. (gonna look at a triumph tiger, bmw F800 GS, and maybe some others)

I'd love a triumph street triple or something with fairing, because I like the wind protection.. but ofcourse that doesn't exist..
or a Kawasaki ER6F but that one is lacking serious power, 30 BHP less then the fz6... I know they have the Z750, but thats a naked..

I'm going crazy here.. any hints are great..

btw, ive driven a bmw s1000rr once, loved it, but can't imagine doing 1200km on one..(or similar riding positions)

CDE

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been lucky in that a few of my buds work at a fairly large bike dealership so I've got to try a lot of bikes. The FZ6 is nice, and it's a great bike for cruising on long and short trips. However you also have some bikes over on that side of the pond that we don't...so I can't give my 2 cents on all the bikes you would have similar to the FZ6. Also, you've listed some bikes that really can't compare to the FZ6 such as any bimmer or larger displacement bike..

The Tiger is a nice bike. However a much different feel from the FZ6. It has quite a tall seat position which makes it a bit tough to ride around town unless you are 5'10" or taller (I'm 6' and can just put 2 feet flat with a 33 inseam). It's a powerful bike with quite a comfy riding position. However they aren't sold much over here so parts and support is poor...maybe it's better over there though. I prefered the Speed Triple but it's pretty much a naked bike so not much wind protection, but a great feeling bike.

I freaking LOVE bimmer's. I've driven most of them, and they are so nice. For twice the money of an FZ6 I should hope so! My favourite is the K1300S. Such an all-round comfortable bike. It's powerful, but not scary powerful like the 1000rr. It's fully loaded and offers a fairly comfortable and protected ride. Also I like the fact that it's shaft driven - no more carrying a can of lube. The 800GS isn't as nice as the FZ6 I think...here, the difference in insurance prices (over 750cc it jumps to the next bracket which can get pricey), I don't think it's worth the extra cash to ride. It's smooth and comfortable, but for that 200cc difference, it felt slower. It's a different class of bike so I wasn't really surprised by this. The HP2 is also a fav. Super nice and a twin to boot. THey are rather rare and expensive here, but maybe cheaper in your neck of the woods. Awesome power, and a super fun bike. Not quite as mental as the 1000RR. That bike is pure sex (the 1000RR).

I've ridden the VFR800 and quite liked it. Great ride, tons of protection, handles well. Worth a look.

For myself, I've been thinking about moving on from the FZ6. I've had her for a year now and was thinking about getting a different animal. I don't do long trips that often, and was thinking about getting something that I would enjoy shorter trips more with. One of my favourite bikes that isn't 20 grand (K1300S) is a GSXR750. It's relatively comfortable with great handling and obviously a little more oomph than an FZ6. If I could justify 2 bikes, I'd probably still keep the fizzer because of its all around awesomeness.

What I would do if I were you - just go to a large dealer that has lots of used stock and just start taking bikes out you like. That's what I did before I landed on the FZ6.

Also, most of the Kawasaki's I've ridden just feel cheap to me for some reason. Maybe I'm jaded because my buddie had a ninja and every year there was some major repair. Working on his compared to mine - the FZ just feels more well put together and a better design. However the classic KZ is one of my favourite bikes (just love the classic sexy look, an uncle has one and have enjoyed cruising on it).

Last edited:

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I would compare the FZ to the Suzuki SV650. Looks, feel, and price. My uncle has a naked SV with aftermarket handlebars (similar to FZ1 bars). I've ridden it and it's a very nice ride. Although because it's a twin, it has a lot more low end power, which was quite nice.

I personally don't care for 08+ models SV's. They added side fairings, which really took away from the look.

CDE

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I would compare the FZ to the Suzuki SV650. Looks, feel, and price. My uncle has a naked SV with aftermarket handlebars (similar to FZ1 bars). I've ridden it and it's a very nice ride. Although because it's a twin, it has a lot more low end power, which was quite nice.

I personally don't care for 08+ models SV's. They added side fairings, which really took away from the look.

Definitely worth a look! I nearly bought the SV but got a better deal on the FZ6. Nice bike :)

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
Kawasaki Versus? Almost the same price as a FZ6. Been following it for about a year and most owners love it. Or maybe a V-strom?

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hmmm thx for the tips!

what I love about the s1000rr are the safety features, traction control and ABS on a 1000cc racing bike is unique I think (at least I havent found any other).

I've never ridden a bike without ABS before so I'd prefer one that has it.
I looked at the GSX-R 750 earlier, but as I said, no ABS is a shame.

I looked at the versys, looks a bit weird imho, and power wise not an upgrade.