FZ1 Popularity

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering how popular the FZ1 is in the US.Just had a quick look on our FZ1 sister site and not much happening.I see quite a few of 'em over here.

B

bluenova

I would have gone for it over the FZ6 as the 6 lacks acceleration at high speed, but the insurance cost put me off. I have a friend with one, it's a sweet bike.

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
I would have gone for it over the FZ6 as the 6 lacks acceleration at high speed, but the insurance cost put me off. I have a friend with one, it's a sweet bike.

Strange, because when I would have a fz1 my insurrance cost would not go up. I'm with ethias. Most fz1's in Belgium are 106hp on paper. Afterwards you can set them on full power.
This response is the response I got from my dealer when I asked about the fz1....

B

bluenova

That is odd, I'm with KBC as it's combined with the car insurance and therefore cheaper. Will need to check who my friend with the FZ1 insures with as I'm sure he pays more than I do, although it's been a couple of years since we had the discussion.

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
That is odd, I'm with KBC as it's combined with the car insurance and therefore cheaper. Will need to check who my friend with the FZ1 insures with as I'm sure he pays more than I do, although it's been a couple of years since we had the discussion.

You should go to the site of ethias, and then you can make online an "offerte". If I configure it for an Fz1 and combine it with a car insurrance it would cost me 345 euro. Just the same as for my fz6. ;)

B

bluenova

You should go to the site of ethias, and then you can make online an "offerte". If I configure it for an Fz1 and combine it with a car insurrance it would cost me 345 euro. Just the same as for my fz6. ;)

B

bluenova

Strange, because when I would have a fz1 my insurrance cost would not go up. I'm with ethias. Most fz1's in Belgium are 106hp on paper. Afterwards you can set them on full power.
This response is the response I got from my dealer when I asked about the fz1....

What prompted you to go for the FZ6 instead?

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Here in Holland the FZ1 is 150hp, and the insurance is (on average) more expensive than an FJR :eek:

I'd love an FZ1. Can not justify it in any way, so logic is prevailing at the moment. :eek:

This is the same way I feel, the FZ6 has much lower running and insurance costs not to mention the initial price.

Last edited:

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
What prompted you to go for the FZ6 instead?
Because the fz6 is cheaper.
The fz6 is just a very usable bike. I'm someone who wants a bike for every mood, and the fz6 just does it. I regret the fact that I don't have abs, but I don't lack power at all. :)
Perhaps in the future I will get a fz1. The 106hp version must be perfect. More power in lower rpm's and the same concept. I would get the abs version then.

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
To start something completely different: I'm wondering if the next generation of the fz1 would have an engine with crossplane technology aswell. I hear that the new r1 now has a v-twin type of power in lower and mid rpm's and the type of power of a conventional 4-in-line in high rpm's. This could be usefull for a fz1 aswell...

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To start something completely different: I'm wondering if the next generation of the fz1 would have an engine with crossplane technology aswell. I hear that the new r1 now has a v-twin type of power in lower and mid rpm's and the type of power of a conventional 4-in-line in high rpm's. This could be usefull for a fz1 aswell...

Now THAT would be sweet.

It's still an inline 4, but they changed the firing order, so now it sounds like a V-Twin. Just listen to Ben Spies on the World Superbike, sounds nasty.

We should all petition Yamaha and get them to do it. Would love that motor in the more relaxed FZ1... Too old for an R1 now :(

:)

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
Now THAT would be sweet.

It's still an inline 4, but they changed the firing order, so now it sounds like a V-Twin. Just listen to Ben Spies on the World Superbike, sounds nasty.

We should all petition Yamaha and get them to do it. Would love that motor in the more relaxed FZ1... Too old for an R1 now :(

:)

Turn up your speakers ;)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG9vQfvMPVM"]YouTube - 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 Akrapovic evolution systeem.[/ame]

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Here in Florida, I have never even seen an FZ1 on the street. I only knew they existed by seeing them on the web and in the show room. At first glance I thought it was th FZ6 I was after until I looked at the price tag! :eek:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know they are around somewhere because I serviced 3 of them last year,but i,ve never seen them on the street and , I see fz6's all the time.I guess the 6 must be street freindlier than the 1???:confused:

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I liked the FZ1, but the gas and insurance thing is a big turn off. I also like the exhaust under the seat the most. If they made the FZ1 with the exhaust under the seat, I would be real interested.

And I agree, I have only seen 3. One at one dealership in a showroom, and two at another dealership in the showroom, and the last one I messed with one on the street one day going home from work. I have went that way home just about every time I have been on the bike, and I have not seen him since.

The last time I was at one of the dealerships, they had an 07 for 7600.00 brand new. It has been there I know for over a year just sitting in the window. The dealer says that there is not that many people interested in a naked bike with a liter engine.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its all about price. My dad was a dealer for 10 years towards the end of that 10 years is when the Newer fz's came out and he sold a few FZ6's and only 1 FZ1. Here the FZ1 is just as much to insure as a R1. And for the money people people just arent interested.... but I have seen a few on the road. Mostly have 1 people on them and they have all been the older version 2003 body style... that R1 sounds amazing

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a friend who has the last gen FZ1- generally never see one except his. I only see marginally more FZ6s (they're also in the "never" category). Nice bike, loads of power - I find the seat to footpeg proportions kind of cramped (I'm sure it's extra cornering clearance though). Either bike's capability exceeds my riding so I'm plenty happy with my 6 - he occasionaly scares himself on the 1 (not in a close call way, but in the "I didn't really mean to be going that fast" way)and has made comments that a 6 would have been plenty for him.