FZ1 or R1??

Logan_YamahaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I still have my 06 fz6, and love it, but its time to move up the line. I wanted to get feed back from someone who has ridden both the fz6 and a fz1 or r1 to see what is best for me. up's and down's of both would be great. I know the obvious differences between the too but haven't had the chance to ride either of them. Thanks, Logan

ToddB5150

Reaction score
Visit site
I own an FZ-6 of course and have rode the FZ-1. I would choose the FZ-1 over the R1 any day, unless you are a professional rode racer... The powerband of the FZ-1 is incredible, and moreover, usable in the common riding world, unlike the R1.

Todd..

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I still have my 06 fz6, and love it, but its time to move up the line. I wanted to get feed back from someone who has ridden both the fz6 and a fz1 or r1 to see what is best for me. up's and down's of both would be great. I know the obvious differences between the too but haven't had the chance to ride either of them. Thanks, Logan

You can't handle a liter bike. Stick with the FZ6 dude. ;) :justkidding:

I would say it boils down to ergos for you as a personal choice. If you're comfortable with clip-ons and being all humped-up-like-a-monkey-on-a-football, then the R1 is your ride. If you like the sit-up style of the standards and tourers, then the FZ1 is your ride. Price plays a role as the R1 is quite a bit more.

Keep this in mind: It's easier to turn a tourer into a sportbike than a sportbike into a tourer. :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I followed a guy who was on an R1 yesterday and it really looked uncomfortable. The FZ1 is really a killer bike.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Going from the fz6 to the r1 is like going from a ninja 250 to the zx6. To me that would be too big of a jump if you dont have the experience. It takes years to develop not only the physical ability but the mental ability to be able to ride a r1. I know what you are thinking, i can ride any motorcycle, but can you? Can you ride the fz6 to its potential to need to move up i guarantee you cant. Only about 1 out of every 5000 r6 riders can actually take the bike to the track and ride it the way its ment to be ridden.

But if all you want is something faster it depends on if you want to go 155 or 180mph........

J

jsteinb95

poorwboy has an R1 and he wants to sell it because it is uncomfortable. Why not an R6?....those are wicked fast and I don't think anybody needs 1000cc sportbike IMO!! :D

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
Going from the fz6 to the r1 is like going from a ninja 250 to the zx6. To me that would be too big of a jump if you dont have the experience. It takes years to develop not only the physical ability but the mental ability to be able to ride a r1. I know what you are thinking, i can ride any motorcycle, but can you? Can you ride the fz6 to its potential to need to move up i guarantee you cant. Only about 1 out of every 5000 r6 riders can actually take the bike to the track and ride it the way its ment to be ridden.

But if all you want is something faster it depends on if you want to go 155 or 180mph........

I think ive told this story before but the instructor of my saftey course races as well and is friends with a bunch of AMA guys. After a track day at dinner a guy was yapping about how he's mastered the 600 and he wants to move to something bigger.

my instructor goes to his buddy (pro racer) and says " hey this guy says he's mastered the 600"

his response " oh really? you mind showing me a few things?"

i wish i remembered who it was. all i know is he's friends with Reg and Jason Pridmore so it could have been one of them.

that being said, you dont need a R1.

Last edited:

Logan_YamahaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the info. yes i know i'm not about to say i have mastered the 600's, i agree that almost anyone who says that is in line for a death wish, but i do want something with a little more pep in its step.

rockmurf

Reaction score
Visit site
Just run the fz6 about 7-8k rpms and you will have all the zip you need. When thinking fz1 etc also be thiniking about increased insurance costs, lower gas mileage and possibly premium fuel. anyway buy what lights your candle.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
$30 for -1 swap in the front, that`ll give you more "pep" :D If you need more, than do the 520 conversion... if that's still not enough, go with NOS :Sport:

More seriously, I love both bikes you are looking at, so if I were you, I`d go with the smarter choice for the type of riding you do.

If you do track days all the time, I`d take the R1... if you do more street riding with some longer rides in there, I`d go with the FZ1.

I am not sure why everybody is focusing on the "you will never really exploit an R1".... it's most certainly true, but who cares? if only guys who "can really master the R1" would buy it, Yamaha would be out of business in a couple of weeks.
If he likes it and wants the power to be available, let him do what he wants! even if you don`t use it to its full potential, there is still a big difference throughout the whole powerband.

Anyways... Good luck with your choice, and post pics when you get it! :thumbup:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was watching the races last weekend a Infineon raceway and noticed this, lap times between the 600 class and the Superbike class were IMO not very far apart at all. I tend to believe that a well ridden bike like the ones we all know and love( FZ6) are really more than most of us will master anytime soon.

The bike loves to rev high and has very quick acceleration indeed. If you desire "pep", rev it up!! An FZ6 ridden near or at it's potential can easily keep pace with most of R-1 riders I've seen around these parts.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I know exactly what you mean about the more pep comment. When I had my ZRX1200R, I absolutely loved the midrange power this bike had. The problem was, that we still have the speed limit laws to contend with. That being said I've found the FZ6 to really be the perfect bike. It's fast when you need it to be, but not stupid fast like the ZRX. It's allot easier to not get stupid while riding the FZ6. I just got a new bike in April for my birthday. The wife and kids gave me an FZ6 for Fathers day last year, and the wife wanted it. I could have bought what ever I wanted, and decided to go with another FZ6. We now have a red and blue "07 FZ6. I've owned in the neighborhood of 30 bikes and the FZ has got to be my all time favorite. It may not be the quickest, but it does everthing I ask of it very well.

I say for the money, you can't buy a better bike. And there you have my .02.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride along side several liter bikes. I keep up happily. I'm not sure about on a track day, but in the street riding we do I am right here in the pack:thumbup:

Whatever you may choose, good luck, and enjoy!:Sport:

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
i didnt mean to come across that youve mastered it. just that the new 1000's are a lot of bike that you cant USE on the street. let alone an average rider on the track. the r1 is a lot of bike with a uncomfortable riding position.

its like having a ferrari f430 and then short shifting every gear at 3000rpm. the thing is going to be a dog. you have to drive/ride anything in the powerband it was designed to be in.

christod1

Just a member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not going to question "for what use? What experience have you got?" and so on. My answer is simple. If you had an R1 and a FZ1 next to each other and someone siad "pick one, heres the key and take it". What would you take. Me? The R1. But back in the real world, you have to question yourself whats best for you? etc etc etc....

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
i didnt mean to come across that youve mastered it. just that the new 1000's are a lot of bike that you cant USE on the street. let alone an average rider on the track. the r1 is a lot of bike with a uncomfortable riding position.

its like having a ferrari f430 and then short shifting every gear at 3000rpm. the thing is going to be a dog. you have to drive/ride anything in the powerband it was designed to be in.

with that type of logic, even the FZ6 is way too much for street riding... we should all be on 250s or scooters then :D and still most ppl wouldn`t master these lol

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know for a fact that I'll never put the FZ6 to its limits. I don't have that level of skill or that large cojones! I do push it but the bike will do more than I'm willing to.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i love speed and unfortunatly i have found where every car i have owned shuts off. I havent gotten that far yet with my fz but i will as soon as i hit 1000 miles not far only bout 40-50 left i have seen 135 on it so far and was not scared in the least but common sense kicked back in and i slowed back down around the speed limit. ok back on topic i have riden both they fz1 and the R1 as well as the YZF600rr R6 and R6s as well as a handful of busa's ninjas all sizes and gixxers. i would honestly say i would have to go withe the fz1 I find the R's and other pure rockets extreamlly uncomfortable. the R1 is also way too high strung. i put a tire on a customers 2005 and rode it to make sure it didnt wobble or anything etc. and i baby shifted it at 3500 rpm and within a very short distance i looked down and i was doing 95. i vowed that day i will never own a R1. however its what you want i have many friends that have R1's and gixxer 1000's and they love them. It is all on what you are comfortable on!