FZ1 bar installed

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got finished installing the FZ1 bar and some grip puppies, and I must say they feel great. Haven't taken it for a ride yet but I can tell by sitting on it that it's gonna be much better. I'm 6'5" with really long arms so they should help out a bunch. The install went pretty well, esp since I've never changed bars, or taken off grips before. I was more worried about the front brake master cylinder going upside down and getting air in it than anything....and I don't even know if that would have mattered. For the throttle side I measured the hole on the other side and transferred it over then drilled a hole. Worked perfectly. One thing I noticed while taking off the old bars was one of the 4 bolts that hold the bar on wasn't even tight, and the other 3 were really loose. That would have been great if the bar would have twisted on me while riding.

Anyway, here are some pics.
fz1bar005.jpg

fz1bar006.jpg

fz1bar007.jpg

fz1bar008.jpg

fz1bar009.jpg

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken the FZ1 bar is 22.00mm, the FZ6 bar is 22.2mm.

One of you experianced FZ1 guys jump in and correct me if I'm wrong. The reason I say that is I've been researching replacement bars/risers for my FZ1, and I'm getting all kinds of conflicting info from a variety of aftermarket companies.

Eric?

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sixsix:

Would you kindly provide us with a side shot (showing the height of the handlebars compared to the seat height). I'm interested in seeing how much lower the FZ1 bars compared to the FZ6 ones.

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
sixsix:

Would you kindly provide us with a side shot (showing the height of the handlebars compared to the seat height). I'm interested in seeing how much lower the FZ1 bars compared to the FZ6 ones.

Here you go. On the second pic I tried to hold the stock one close to where it would be mounted so you can get an idea. It's prob about 1-1.5 inches lower.

fz1bar011.jpg

fz1bar012.jpg

edit:
as you can see, they are very straight with just a slight bend at the ends
fz1bar001.jpg

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
I think hellgate's concern was the diameter: 22 mm vs 22.2.

My opinion: There is enough slop in the clamp that this is not an issue.

22.2 is a tad closer to 7/8"

7/8" = 0.875 in

22.2mm/25.4mm = 0.87402 in

22mm/25.4mm = 0.86614 in

BTW nice clean bike! Mine is a dusty mess from all the pollen around here, even garaged!

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Every thing bolted up nice and tight, so I don't think the size is an issue. I try to keep the bike under a cover, but I did just wax it. The pollen is something feirce over here too right now.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ruined the whole vibe of my bike with the FZ1 bars...barely ride it anymore due to the way I feel on the bike now, just too lazy to change them back.
Also I pretty sure that no holes should be exposed when the install is done correctly...I see a hole beside the right lever and kill switch..I think you need to move the kill switch over abit

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
If I were to move it anymore left, then there would be a large gap between the end of the throttle and the bar end. I measured it a bunch before I drilled the hole, and everything lined up perfectly.

I could see how the bars would be less than appealing for shorter riders, but with my long wing span they should help out a lot.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In terms of what? Their almost exactly the same length, their just lower and the bend at the end isn't as bad.

In terms of what? Well you stated that the four mounting bolts were loose, so that that would be the diameter of the bar.

Good luck with your project.

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Rode the bike to work today and wow what a difference. The bike is more comfortable for me now. This is a must do for any one over 6ft. The grip puppies are also a nice addition. I have pretty big hands and they make it a lot eaiser to grip, and they take out whatever little vibration is left in the bars. Overall I am very pleased with the way it turned out.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got my FZ1 bars to install tonight - quick question do the FZ6 bar ends screw right in or is it a different thread? Cheers.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool. And I read somewhere else but can't find it.....any tips on bar end removal? I just tried and the cheesy allen socket started to strip when I applied pressure. Supplement with some rag and vice grips, or will that mark the bar ends?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool. And I read somewhere else but can't find it.....any tips on bar end removal? I just tried and the cheesy allen socket started to strip when I applied pressure. Supplement with some rag and vice grips, or will that mark the bar ends?

A thick rag, and gently, gently with the vice grips i reckon...they screw out pretty easy...

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
LOOK GREAT MAN! I can't wait to do it to mine. When you turn it all the way it doesn't hit the tank does it? I think it will feel much better. Nice Photos!

No the bar does not come into contact with the tank. And it's not any harder to do U turns or anything either.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just wanted to add here that I did my bars tonight. Woo! Took about half an hour, only issue I came across was that my brake line didn't clear my fork leg with the new bars so had to loosen the banjo bolt 1/8 turn and then pull it upward to allow clearance.

Gave me a chance to install my new grips too.

Finally, I raised the forks 8mm in the triples. The combination is outstanding. The bike handles like I've just dropped 30kg from it. It turns in a lot quicker and easier. This is by far the best thing I've done for my bike, and can't recommend it enough.

I can't wait to ride it again in the morning!