FZ1 after three seasons on FZ6

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Took the FZ1 for inaugural run, late last night. Only rode for about 30 minutes, but do have some initial impressions to share with you all.

Headlights: Very good in stock form. Pattern is more even and wider than FZ6 with dual headlight mod. This is probably because FZ1 has proper reflectors for low beam on both sides.. just a guess.
I do have to say that my Dual Dominator setup on FZ6 is still better than FZ1 stock. It might be because of the difference between frame mounted light vs fork mounted light, but on FZ6 I can go into corners with confidence whereas on FZ1 I can't see a thing into the turn until I'm about half way into it. Normal for faired bikes from my experience, but I'm not in love with how that feels.

Suspension: It appears previous owner had it set up to feel as much as a full-on sport bike as possible. Ride is perfectly controlled, but very stiff and harsh. I've ridden few sport bikes and that's exactly what those felt like to me.
There is almost no fork dive under braking.. I'll have to get used to that.

Handling: Didn't get to push it at all in the turns since it was pitch-black out, but in terms of general feel.. I don't feel any extra weight compared to FZ6. Previous owner also slid the forks up 8mm so turn initiation is effortless and immediate. A bit too immediate for my liking .. I'll need to find a happy middle.

Clutch: Much more of a standard friction zone you'd find on other bikes. Not an on/off switch like FZ6. Once again something for me to get used to.

Gearbox: Buttery smooth. No clunks.

Gearing: Astronomically high!! I think I could have done the entire ride in first! Supposedly it'll do 100mph in first gear :eek:
U-turn box on MSF range is going to require new technique. On FZ6 I just stay in 1st and drag rear brake. FZ1 is going to require a lot of friction zone use for limited space maneuvers.

Vibration: It currently has stock bar and stock grips, but no bar ends (previous owner drilled out the threaded inserts to put plastic bar end mirrors in). Even so, there is hardly any vibration at the handlebar.. or anywhere else for that matter. Looking forward to putting Oury grips and stock bar ends back on (replacement bar is on its way).

Turbulence: As is, wind flow is surprisingly good. Granted I probably never went over 70, but even with that tiny chopped screen it actually feels a lot like my FZ6 streetfighter.. smooth air hitting me in the chest and no buffeting. Tall touring screen is on the way. It'll be interesting to see how well that will work.

Power: I'll just put it like this: rolling on at 3.5k rpm feels about the same as rolling on at 8k rpm on FZ6.

I'll post more findings after I spend more time in the saddle.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Biggest difference I found was in initial takeoff from stop; the FZ6 always required a deft hand to coordinate throttle and clutch but the FZ1 takes off smoothly by letting out the clutch and rolling on a bit of throttle. It's much easier to get going and much easier to ride fast, imo. Agree on the transmission, it is very smooth with little clunking and easy to shift up and down.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the dark side! Now get your rear-end over to the FZ1 side of the forum. :D

The FZ1 is really a great bike, you're going to have a lot of fun with it.

What year did you get? Any mods?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the dark side! Now get your rear-end over to the FZ1 side of the forum. :D

The FZ1 is really a great bike, you're going to have a lot of fun with it.

What year did you get? Any mods?

It's a 2007.
- Custom Watsen flush mounts (the guy had them custom made and painted using Yamaha paint code.. VERY pricey).
- Clear Alternatives integrated tail light.
- Fender delete
- Rear sets mounted solid (rubber washers tossed).
- Stock mirrors pulled and custom carbon fiber block off plates installed (I will be putting stock mirrors back on as soon as I get them).
- Stock screen cut and painted black.
- Pilot Power CT2 front and back (got about 1.5-2k left before they'll have to be swapped out).

That's about it, but I've got a LOT of mods coming :D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool, '07 + are good years.

You can go mod crazy with the FZ1 it's amazing.

What are you thinking of doing?

Here's my laundry list of mods:
1) R1 fork and radial brakes
2) R6 front master cylinder
3) ConvertiBars
4) Rizoma Rearsets
5) Penske Shock
6) Corbin saddles
7) PC3 with custom tune
8) '10 Euro ECU
9) Fren Tubo SS brakelines
10) EBC HH brake pads
11) Flashed ECU - due in tomorrow. Removes 1st thru 3rd gear restrictions, advances timing, improved fuel map, eliminates fuel cut.

Other than that it's stock.

Last edited:

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Are these Oury grips that amazing?? Maybe i should try a pair. How are they compared to the dual density pro grips?

I think power at 3.5 k would be so much fun!!!!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are these Oury grips that amazing?? Maybe i should try a pair. How are they compared to the dual density pro grips?

I've been using Oury's forever on mountain bikes and they were thickest and softest of the bunch. Same holds true for moto use from my experience.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

What are you thinking of doing?

Here's my laundry list of mods:
1) R1 fork and radial brakes
2) R6 front master cylinder
3) ConvertiBars
4) Rizoma Rearsets
5) Penske Shock
6) Corbin saddles
7) PC3 with custom tune
8) '10 Euro ECU
9) Fren Tubo SS brakelines
10) EBC HH brake pads
11) Flashed ECU - due in tomorrow. Removes 1st thru 3rd gear restrictions, advances timing, improved fuel map, eliminates fuel cut.

Other than that it's stock.

Damn! That's quite a list!
I'm going more of a touring route:
ZG Touring screen.
Givi top and side racks with V46/V35 cases.
eBay levers.
FZ6 peg inserts.
Targa 1/2 tank bra.
Red reflective rim tape.
And eventually a CF slip-on (not sure which brand to go with yet.. do love my Leo V's on FZ6.. maybe have to go with same company).

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site

I think power at 3.5 k would be so much fun!!!!

I was sold on the Oury grips after feeling them in my hand. They have a larger diameter than the standard grips and the rubber on them appears to dampen the vibration much more than stock. They are super comfortable and very grippy. I think I paid $12 for my set. Very cheap.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I see it still has the stock saddle. If you want to use that touring gear you must replace the stocker, it is universally loathed. Spend about 2 hours on it and you'll need a pry bar to remove it, and swear that the next ride you'll wear a cup after bouncing off the fuel tank. :eek:

The good thing is there are lots of options out there.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

8) '10 Euro ECU

Not to thread jack but . . .
I suppose this should be obvious but which ECU did you remap the US ver or the Euro? Was it these guys: http://ecunleashed.com/

And what's the diff between US and Euro ECM? Or is it the year manufactured that matters more?

Do tell how this feels after the bike adjusts to it. . .

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I see it still has the stock saddle. If you want to use that touring gear you must replace the stocker, it is universally loathed. Spend about 2 hours on it and you'll need a pry bar to remove it, and swear that the next ride you'll wear a cup after bouncing off the fuel tank. :eek:

The good thing is there are lots of options out there.

I'll keep that in mind. Lots of people hate FZ6 stock seat too, but I've done 6+ hour days without issues, so I'll have to thoroughly test the 1 before I do anything with the seat.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to thread jack but . . .
I suppose this should be obvious but which ECU did you remap the US ver or the Euro? Was it these guys: http://ecunleashed.com/

And what's the diff between US and Euro ECM? Or is it the year manufactured that matters more?

Do tell how this feels after the bike adjusts to it. . .

I had the '06 flashed, because it it so bad, and left the '10 alone.

As everyone is well aware here the FZ6 throttle is snatchy, the '06 FZ1 is the same. Each year Yamaha tweaked the ECU maps a little and by '10 it had become a pretty good map.

I not sure of the specific differences between the Euro map and the US, aside from the fact I could buy one on Ebay! I assume the US ECU has more fuel cut as that is mandated by the EPA for all FI vehicles.

Yes I used ECUnleashed to do the work. As it turned out I have an oddball very early FZ1 ECU that they'd never worked on before. As a result it took a little while to get the programming done.

I'm really looking forward to the new flash to see how it does. I'm sure it will be great.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
nice one...FZ1 is an incredible bike, but FZ6 is still my favourite....scares the sh** out of litre bike riders when ridden properly!

:rockon:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did first 2-up ride on the 1 yesterday (~65 miles).

Rider perspective: It's entirely too easy. Any gear, any RPM.. no matter, the bike will not complain. It will just pull easily.
Suspension is more composed with passenger on, since both preload and rebound are adjustable on back. I didn't touch any settings on the fork and it felt perfect. Rear spring can be firmer, but it's not badly undersprung for my combined 2-up load (about 280 lbs).

Passenger perspective: FZ1 doesn't have rubber inserts on passenger pegs. Apparently it makes a difference because my wife said she felt quite a bit of vibration, especially on exhaust side. I'm going to try to put FZ6 pegs on there. She also disliked that the pegs were higher up on 1. There's a way to lower them, but it's somewhat ugly and the pegs will stick out even when folded. She did say the seat felt more comfortable and held her in place better.
Another thing she mentioned was that everything felt smoother and she felt very confident leaned over in turns.

Wife: "I think you got better at riding".
Me: "No I still suck.. it's the bike". :D

Only put about 200 miles on the bike so far and I am definitely enjoying it. I find it easier to ride this thing than the 6 over all. I suppose this could actually be on the list of "cons" because it's border-line boring :eek: .. sure you can shift, but you don't really have to.. sure you can rev it up, but you definitely don't have to. Downshifting smoothly is easier. Braking requires far less effort.

Stay tuned for more comparison notes.