FZ1 after three seasons on FZ6

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
Did first 2-up ride on the 1 yesterday (~65 miles).

Rider perspective: It's entirely too easy. Any gear, any RPM.. no matter, the bike will not complain. It will just pull easily.
Suspension is more composed with passenger on, since both preload and rebound are adjustable on back. I didn't touch any settings on the fork and it felt perfect. Rear spring can be firmer, but it's not badly undersprung for my combined 2-up load (about 280 lbs).

Passenger perspective: FZ1 doesn't have rubber inserts on passenger pegs. Apparently it makes a difference because my wife said she felt quite a bit of vibration, especially on exhaust side. I'm going to try to put FZ6 pegs on there. She also disliked that the pegs were higher up on 1. There's a way to lower them, but it's somewhat ugly and the pegs will stick out even when folded. She did say the seat felt more comfortable and held her in place better.

that s a very good comparision info regarding touring, and i thought the seat of the fz1 (pillion seat) looked far less comfy than the fz6 one.

as far as passenger pegs yes they do make a difference, i have the 06 fz 6 with the metal pillion pegs, they were thin and hard and my gf complained a bit about their harshness (she does not wear boots.. they re on the list along with a proper riding jacket)..so i bought the 07+ pegs and her legs felt more planted and comfy...next mod would be the seat tho but that i'll have to wait a year or two

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another difference I noticed yesterday:

FZ1 on center stand leaves MUCH more weight on the front than FZ6.
When I put FZ6 on center stand, I can lift the front by just applying gentle pressure on the grab rail... FZ1.. forget it!
I was installing rim stripes and asked my wife (she's about 115 lbs) to sit on the back of the bike to keep the front wheel off the ground to make the install easier. With her on the back, the bike still wouldn't tilt back! I had to "convince" it to tilt to rear wheel.
The good thing about that kind of balance split is that FZ1 is actually easier to put up on center stand. Rolling off is easier as well. The bad part.. lifting and spinning front wheel is much harder.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I finally broke down and bought a pair of used Pitbull stands. It makes it much easier to work on the bike. The other thing I had made was a set of casters (four mounted to a "drop" frame) that the center stand sets on to. (I'll find a picture for you) The casters make it much easier to more the bike around the garage.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I finally broke down and bought a pair of used Pitbull stands. It makes it much easier to work on the bike. The other thing I had made was a set of casters (four mounted to a "drop" frame) that the center stand sets on to. (I'll find a picture for you) The casters make it much easier to more the bike around the garage.

Those things can actually be purchased (center stand dolly).. kudos for making your own!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my 08FZ1 for 2 years and have put 12K on it for a total of 17.5k. The po had done all the right engine mods and had it tuned where he works by the engine builder of the Streamliner 7 so Frank runs real strong and smooth.

16t counter sprocket helps but it is still a tall geared bike and 161mph was no problem with this gearing.

I bought a Sargent seat for the front only and like it. It's firm but does back the wedding tackle off the tank.

Put my ASV shortie levers from the 6 on the 1 and like them. How about that front brake? Sweet, and the rear does not lock as easy as on the 6.

No doubt it will drink the fuel when riding hard but the grin factor is big!

That stock rear shock has to go but I keep putting it off, most likely this winter I'll replace it.

I run the PR2 tires and they stick just fine( trust me living in the twisty's they get pushed hard) but my right wrist still likes to chew them up.

Here's a couple pics from a ride this summer over the Sierra's. The desert is where I do my high speed runs :)

FranktoBishop7-11005.jpg

FranktoBishop7-11090.jpg

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my 08FZ1 for 2 years and have put 12K on it for a total of 17.5k. The po had done all the right engine mods and had it tuned where he works by the engine builder of the Streamliner 7 so Frank runs real strong and smooth.

16t counter sprocket helps but it is still a tall geared bike and 161mph was no problem with this gearing.

I bought a Sargent seat for the front only and like it. It's firm but does back the wedding tackle off the tank.

Put my ASV shortie levers from the 6 on the 1 and like them. How about that front brake? Sweet, and the rear does not lock as easy as on the 6.

No doubt it will drink the fuel when riding hard but the grin factor is big!

That stock rear shock has to go but I keep putting it off, most likely this winter I'll replace it.

I run the PR2 tires and they stick just fine( trust me living in the twisty's they get pushed hard) but my right wrist still likes to chew them up.

Very nice! I'm going to stick with stock gearing for now.. haven't had'er on the highway yet. Looking forward to low RPM cruising.

So far I'm loving stock seat, but longest ride was only 2 hours.

I have shorties on FZ6, but I ordered long adjustable levers for the 1. LOVE shorties, but figured long levers will serve me better when it comes to slow speed maneuvers on this bike (friction zone required) and in traffic.

I have Pilot Power CTs on mine with very little rubber left. I'll most likely be going to Pilot Road 2 CTs for my next set (have them on FZ6 now and love them).

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I'll start listing my FZ1 mods in this thread too.
First mod: reflective rim stripes:

stripes1.jpg

stripes2e.jpg

stripes3.jpg

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You see this? The venerable FZ1 almost ran away with a comparison test of real-world sport bikes.

MCUSA

Great stuff! Based on what they had to say, I'd actually choose FZ1 over all others. Lightest of the bunch, less buzzy than Ninja and way cheaper than VFR and BMW. Bandit is a torque monster, but it's not nearly as sporty as FZ1.

I'm happy with my choice :D

Ravenfz09

Reaction score
Visit site
Great stuff! Based on what they had to say, I'd actually choose FZ1 over all others. Lightest of the bunch, less buzzy than Ninja and way cheaper than VFR and BMW. Bandit is a torque monster, but it's not nearly as sporty as FZ1.

I'm happy with my choice :D

i just read that yesterday. to me the fz1 won that comparison:thumbup:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Fairly sure the 6 or the 1 will be my next bike.... ways in the future yet, but your making me drool Eric... Now i want one! Farkle-itis is gonna turn into can't-stop-buying-motorcycles-itis lol..

Every time i see a pic or a Vid of an FZ1 i like it more and more... gonna have to cut myself off from the internet to resist temptation lol

Cool bike! looking forward to long-term impressions!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
very nice many. how hard were they to put on?

On a difficulty scale of 1 to Z, I'd say it was a triangle. :BLAA:

But seriously.. it's quite easy to put on. You just have to clean the rim lips well (clean well and then use rubbing alcohol) and take your time putting the tape on. It won't be 100% perfectly straight, but imperfections will only be obvious if you get real close and look for uneven lines.