Fun in the Snow!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This was shot yesterday about 18 miles south of me (skip the first half of the video):
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrJuigh2aCc]400 north bountiful ut 1/21/2012 - YouTube[/ame]

I've had the "pleasure" of driving in these conditions twice (once coming off a ski area, I had an accident) and once coming home from a concert (did a complete 180 on I-15, but didn't hit anyone). We've had rain for the last four days, and yesterday a very strong cold front came thru, resulting in the "snow on top of slush on top of ice" conditions you see here. Best just to stay home.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
It was comedy of errors! How fast was that pickup going? People are so dumb. I live in Wisconsin and the first snow people drive like they've never seen it before!

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
That was entertaining....
I know, that's a mean thing to say, but ya gotta admit....

X2, as bad as it is for the people involved, I was laughing my ass off at times. We normally get ice rather then snow here, but normally it only lasts for a day or 2 and only happens every few years. People from up north like to talk about how they can drive on snow and how we can't, but no one can drive on ice!

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with you guys; laughing my head off during it, but also felt really bad for the innocent bystanders. People just don't know how to drive in those conditions AND don't have the right tires on their cars. One of the first ones (white chevy Cavalier) was all over the brakes while in a slide... BIG no no.:spank:

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I live in North Central Texas. People here have a hard time driving in rain.........when it snows or ices (about once a year at least) I call work and tell them I'm not gonna make it in lol.

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
facepalm.gif
icon_eek.gif

Shawn

Reaction score
Visit site
Classic. Great video. Driving on ice\snow takes a lot of skill. Some people should just take the bus. I was laughing in my office watching it but I'm glad it wasn't me or my property getting destroyed.

Up here we use a combination of salt and gravel. Gravel works better, salt melts a bit of the ice and makes the ice slippery. Gravel usually gets pushed into the ice and makes a nice grippy surface. Salt also doesn't work when temps are more then -15C.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
just like bikes, stay calm, slow, and smooth when in conditions that require more attention. even though i drive a RWD i dont have problems because my Volvo is made from scraps of a sherman tank and has the best ABS system ive ever used period, and it has a lopey underpowered four pot. which makes it easier to be smooth.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good snowstorm here again tonight, during the evening commute, but at least there wasn't ice under the snow/slush. My 20-minute commute took 55 minutes, but no fender-benders, so its all good! :thumbup:
The wet roads tonight, however, will be icy tomorrow morning; wish I had a couple extra vacation days... :(

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I live in Central NY back in high school we had some black ice and I was literally sliding at like 3 mph hit the brakes turn the steering wheel and lift off of brakes should be fine. I would say a good percentage of those vehicles would have been fine if they had snow tires... The statement no one can drive on ice is not true. They make studded snow tires. My dad had them on his rear wheel drive s-10. zero problems on ice. since my black ice issue I have always put snow or stud less snow tires on my car. I have never had an issue with snow tires. This includes awd Audi's on the thruway in NY in the guard rails. I had my 08 Scion XB at the time. It is FWD. I was doing the speed limit with zero problems. Biggest problem is people go and buy awd and 4wd cars and neglect their tires. you can have the best drive train in the world but with crappy tires you aren't stopping.... The other major issue is when you look at every car that crashed they had their brakes on while doing so. The crown vic that went sideways and "t-boned" the Tundra wouldn't have done so if they lifted their foot of the brake.... I was in Texas a few years ago when it started to down poor. I was the slowest it seemed and in a few mins went to be the fastest and all by myself. I was like did I miss a speed limit sign or something.....

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Classic. Great video. Driving on ice\snow takes a lot of skill. Some people should just take the bus. I was laughing in my office watching it but I'm glad it wasn't me or my property getting destroyed.

Up here we use a combination of salt and gravel. Gravel works better, salt melts a bit of the ice and makes the ice slippery. Gravel usually gets pushed into the ice and makes a nice grippy surface. Salt also doesn't work when temps are more then -15C.

Gravel really? That just seems like an insurance nightmare to me...... how many cracked windshields are there over there?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site

Close, rock salt doesn't work below 12-17F or -11 to -8C. However, when temps get that cold, they'll often use magnesium chloride or calcium chloride if the ice gets really bad. Or a combination of 2 or three. Maybe it's one of the latter salts that is ok down to -15C (5F).

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Gravel really? That just seems like an insurance nightmare to me...... how many cracked windshields are there over there?

It's more of a coarse sand than gravel, or fine gravel. Not gravel like you'd find in a driveway, more like what you'd find in a creek bed but with sharper edges.