fuel capacity?

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
im told its like 5.5 gallons, however im getting about 120 miles before my gas light comes on, i fill the tank up it takes 3.5, gas light cant be 1.5-2 gallons.... and wtf am i only getting 120 b4 last bar, perhaps i should run it dry and fill it up ?...07 with pc3 map at 0, air mod and slip ons

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
My 04-06 Fazer takes 18 litres according to the manual (about 4,8 US gallons) and when commuting with alot of steady speed it goes around 250 km / 155 miles before the last fuel bar starts blinking... after that I could do another 40-50 km - but mostly I chicken out :D

The most I have filled up was about was 16,5 litres - after a total of 320 km.
There is quite a difference on how you fill up the tank. If you just fill up till the fuelgun clicks off then you easily still have a few litres of free space at the top of the fueltank. Try to fill it up to the bottom edge of the aluminum looking socket (that's full of drilled holes).

Last edited:

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to aggree with you. I usually fill up my bike when only 1 line is left. It takes around 12-13lt to fill up so i guess the last line with reserve is around 8lt. But i get better mileage than you. At 12-13Lt i do around 220Km. so in your numbers around 3 .5 gallons i do around 135mi. No mods though here

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I run my bike fairly low on fuel between stops. The tank holds 19.4L (5.125 US Gal)

I get approximately 290kms (181mi) before going into reserve.

Reserve has been tested by myself and others and is easily good for 60kms (37mi) and still have approximately 1L (.26 US Gal)

When hypermiling (being easy on the throttle, drafting behind trucks on the highway etc) I have gotten up to 390kms (290mi) but my average would be fill up at 330kms (205mi) and have about 1L (.26 US Gal) left.

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. After much discussion on here, I'm going to try 91 (US87) for a few tanks (as opposed to my usual 98RON) to see if there are gains to be had.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
im told its like 5.5 gallons, however im getting about 120 miles before my gas light comes on, i fill the tank up it takes 3.5, gas light cant be 1.5-2 gallons.... and wtf am i only getting 120 b4 last bar, perhaps i should run it dry and fill it up ?...07 with pc3 map at 0, air mod and slip ons

I'm about where you are on this. Currently PCV with Scorpions,but usually on the reserve around 140 and that was about where I was before the exhaust as well.

When I fill up (center stand) I'm usually putting in only about 3.6 gallons.

If you can hit the fuelly link in my signature, you can see if I'm accurate at all in my numbers.

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of times I've ridden 20-30 miles on the reserve flasher indicator LED, and the most I've put in was 4.7 gallons. On all occasions I was getting pretty good mileage in the tank -- 48mpg or so.

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the info, i dont use center stand when i fill up but i do make sure to get as much as possible, wiggling it a little and pulling nozzle out to maximize the filling space, but i guess the last bar/fuel light just has more mileage in it than i thought, with the 37 for that i woulda had 160 for city driving

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It'll be interesting to fill up on the side stand, then put the bike on the centre stand to see the difference

From memory, it's about 1500ml or 30kms worth!

Cheers,
Rick

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I filled up this morning and drove 183 miles today before just one bar came on constant. I don't usually pay much attention to fuel mileage but after reading the recent post about iridium plugs, octane and mileage I thought I'd take note.

Dave in Houston

Reaction score
Visit site
My round trip commute is about 96 miles. If I fill the bike on the centerstand, going slowly to get in every little bit, I can make two round trips without making the last bar blink. It's usually a shade over 4 gallons.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I average about 186 miles between fill ups, and it takes about 4 gallons to fill. I usually wait until the last fuel bar starts flashing and get gas on the way to or from work.

According tot he owners manual, my 2006 FZ6 tank capacity is 5.13 gallons, with 0.95 being used for reserve. This is correct in my experience using the examples above.

BTW, I always fill on the side stand and up to the top of the splash plate.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My 04-06 Fazer takes 18 litres according to the manual (about 4,8 US gallons) and when commuting with alot of steady speed it goes around 250 km / 155 miles before the last fuel bar starts blinking... after that I could do another 40-50 km - but mostly I chicken out :D

The most I have filled up was about was 16,5 litres - after a total of 320 km.
There is quite a difference on how you fill up the tank. If you just fill up till the fuelgun clicks off then you easily still have a few litres of free space at the top of the fueltank. Try to fill it up to the bottom edge of the aluminum looking socket (that's full of drilled holes).
Mine (05) takes 19.4L with 3.6 in reserve. Someones figures are out?

Nelly

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine (05) takes 19.4L with 3.6 in reserve. Someones figures are out?

Nelly

Last fill, I put 19.41L in my bike (68kms on reserve!) - and the only saving grace was the 500mL or so from the bottom of the filler tube to where I fill it to.

Only just made it.....

Cheers,
Rick

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My last tank (running way rich) was 120 miles, 6 into the reserve.

Filled it up: 3.875 gallons.

The blue must be faster due to the smaller tank?!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk