Finally worked my way up to a GSX-R750

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
So, it's been awhile. Been kinda busy with getting a medical discharge and all. I loved my monster, but it burned my wife's legs so I finally got rid of it. (Seriously, Ducati, exhaust cans are not good heel plates for a passenger).

Anyway, I picked up an '04 GSX-R750 and I am so glad I waited and worked my way up to a super sport. Wow. She'll break the back end loose quick on anything other than clean, dry pavement, and will power wheelie in 3rd. Getting on the highway in 1st-2nd takes some getting used to.

GSXR_zps97679b22.jpg

That's what she looked like the day I picked her up.

The previous owner was absolutely anal about records, and spared no expense on the bike. He actually apologized for losing a few months of gas receipts and the receipt for the rear shock. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the only issues I could find with the bike mechanically is the bike was throwing a secondary throttle body error, the right clip-on was for the wrong year so it's like 1" lower than the left, and there was a pinhole crack in the radiator end block.

So, I found a OEM fleabay steal on the handlebar, fixed the stepper motor for the STVA which cleared the check engine light, and JB Weld on the "massive radiator crack" which was just a pinhole, and she's running great.

The mod list, (feel free to tl;dr lol)
Full Akrapovic Titanium/Carbon Exhaust
Timing Retard Eliminator
K&N Filter
Velocity Stacks
PAIR Delete/Crankcase negative pressure mod
Blade removal on the Secondary Throttle valve
Power Commander III with full custom map
Ohlins Shocks all around
SuperSprox Full kit
Clutch Spring Upgrade (to hold the beast)
Galfer Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Race Configuration
Vortex Gas Cap
Vortex Levers
Vortex Rearsets
Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail light
Fender Eliminator
Zero Gravity Windscreen
El Cheapo Sliders
Lifetime Oil Filter

:squid: :ban:

Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Great bike, you will have lots of fun with it. I picked up a CBR600RR recently and it is a big difference - not as much power though. Love the brakes and suspension of a SS, less happy with the OEM Dunlap Qualifers though. Amazing how many high milage GXRs there are out there which says to me that they are durable.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
2013-02-04_20-52-24_673_zps70612be2.jpg

What a few grand on your engine will do. lol. Must be nice. Wife said the bike had to be sold, so he basically gave it to me cause I'm a disabled vet. I paid $1800. Adjusted book is like $5900. :rockon:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Great bike, you will have lots of fun with it. I picked up a CBR600RR recently and it is a big difference - not as much power though. Love the brakes and suspension of a SS, less happy with the OEM Dunlap Qualifers though. Amazing how many high milage GXRs there are out there which says to me that they are durable.

Yeah, my duc came stock with SS lines. I'll never go back. I can't comment on what the stock suspension is like, but we weigh the same, and he's only an inch taller and the suspension was custom built and set up for him. So it fits me like a glove too. The bike is basically race-ready, and his wife told him no, so it's never been on the track. Rides like a dream. And it's actually more comfortable than I thought.

And yeah, old Hondas and Suzukis are a dime a dozen. I saw that someone was a finisher in the last Iron Butt Rally on a GSX-R1000. :eek: So, they're pretty bullet-proof I suppose. I flipped a 98 VFR800 not too long ago that wouldn't start and hadn't run in 3-4 years. Cleaned the map sensor, changed the gas and it started right up. Changed the oil/BG'd the old oil, ran some seafoam through it, changed the R/R to a MOSFET, just in case, and wound up $1500 ahead. It's got me eyeing that VFR1200 they make now.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
What a steal on a beautifully modded bike! I am quite jealous! I haven't had the opportunity to ride a supersport yet, so I can only imagine what it feels like compared to the FZ6. One day...

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
What a steal on a beautifully modded bike! I am quite jealous! I haven't had the opportunity to ride a supersport yet, so I can only imagine what it feels like compared to the FZ6. One day...

Yeah man, don't rush yourself. I honestly didn't think it'd be that different. I had ridden a monster 696 for about 8 months or so, and they make gobs more torque than the FZ6.

Well, this is a well tuned race machine. It's surprised me several times in the two weeks I've had it. I'm used to being able to wind the bike out in second gear getting on the highway. First time I did it on this bike, I had to wrangle my jaw back in the helmet... and brake hard. Jerk the throttle (or just hit a bump with poor throttle control) and the front end comes up. Dump the clutch for a quick start like on the FZ6 and the back tire is breaking loose. A super sport is a blast, and the most fun I've had just riding around town. But it's nothing to take lightly, do the wrong thing in those situations and it's over quick.

So yeah, one day. They'll be waiting when you're ready; I'm personally very glad I took my time getting one. And there are always people that will sell cheap cause they don't want it, or trade way down if you're patient. Mainly that it's something simple wrong with it, and they just get rid of it. Clogged MAP sensor, for instance. Get "A Twist of the Wrist II" and practice that right hand up so you'll be ready when you find one. :thumbup:

This was meant to sound encouraging btw. Hopefully that's the way it came off. :D

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
nice bike, was thinking about getting a 750 for the track, but I'd prefer a 600, depends what's available :D