All in one night. Sold the FZ :( and bought an SV :)

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
SO story goes like this. I didnt really want another bike, i love my FZ. I was getting bored at work so started checking out bikes for sale on craiglist. Motogiro LOVES his SV so he inspired me to look at a one just for fun. I went and test rode an SV1000s which had a ton of miles and made funny sounds but i liked it. I didnt have enough money, well not money i should spend on toys anyways. So i thought why not just see if anyone would be interested in my bike.

Posted it up for sale and on the second day I got a call from a kid who has been looking at FZs for months and thought mine was the best out there (not sure why). So he saw it that night and said he will take it!!!! Cool so I jump on craigs looking for bikes to test drive or buy in case he really does buy it.

A guy 20 min earlier posted his gorgeous SV1000s for sale for an unbeatable price so i called him and went that night to test ride it. Gave him my word and told him the next day i will buy it.

Tuesday rolls around and after work i drop the bike off at the kids house since he didnt have M license took the $3300 cash. Had my brother drive me up to the other guys house and bought his for $4000!!!!!

At first i was not happy with the SV handling at all, the FZ turned in so quick just by thinking it. Later i found out why, my rear tire was worn to the wires on one large spot on the tire. So i went straight to the shop and put on some fresh Pilot Road 3 front and back (i asked for pilot road 2, but the shop messed up....) Now it handles like its supposed to.

SOOO Sold my 04 FZ6 with 33k miles and some nice little mods for $3300. And bought an 06 SV1000s with 4k miles all stock except custom OEM exhaust for $4000. Not a bad deal at all if i do say so myself :rockon:

Good bye FZ :(
attachment.php

Hello SV ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Impressions
First impression was holy crap this thing sounds like a harley. Confirmed by numerous thumbs up by harley and sport bike riders on the road today.

Comfort: goes to the FZ of course. There is a lot of pressure on my wrists with the SV but after a day of riding im actually already getting used to it. I have tech spec tank grips already on order so that will make a huge difference for me. But for now until am used to the sport bike position my lower back and wrists have slight pain but not enough to stop me from riding it.

Suspension: fully adjustable with a oem steering stabilizer i cant feel any of the bumps in the road that used to rattle my head on the FZ even with fresh fork oil. It takes a little more to turn the bike but it is leaps and bounds more stable on a turn. Slow turns took a bit to get used to but very easy. The SV actually feels lighter to move around when on it and walking it then the FZ, Cliff said its actually is lighter. Which is strange because on the freeway i would get blown side to side on the FZ but the Sv is super stable.

Power: well its got torque for days lol. It was easy enough to get used to because the fz has such an on and off throttle and the sv is super smooth. but im not even coming close to trying to push this thing until i have lots of seat time. ON the freeway and riding around town the sound of the sv has me bogging it a lot it likes to be around 4-5k in the rpms. I have already gotten used to not even going to 6 on the freeway unless i can stay around 5k doing it.

MPG: i just filled it up again and i got 43mpg. The fz got around the same for me except i think the tank is bigger since i cant go the same range on the SV.

Mods: I have a short list of things i want to do to this thing so hopefully i can get them done soon but there are tons out there to choose from. Motovation Frame sliders and tech spec snake skin pads are already on order. I may look into HVMP heavy bar ends and helibars to increase comfort, maybe even send my seat off to spencer. I need to find a way to get my shifter closer to my short fingers, maybe they make an ebay version like i had on the fz.

Insurance: My full coverage only went up $74 for the year compared to my fz. Its now $734 a year including $10 road side assistance lol.

Overall: The sv has a lot the FZ didnt have including a passing light trigger, two built in helmet holders, no center stand, no gas gauge just a light that blinks when you need gas, steering stabilizer, hydraulic clutch.

Excited to have cliff give me some great ideas on this bike, anyone have any questions i would be happy to attempt to answer them.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha yea it does look like An Fz but tomorrow I will take a video of how it sounds :)

The tail bag is an axiom hard tail bag. I might sell it but its my favorite tail bag

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations! :BLAA:
I got a chance to see the bike today and it is one of the cleanest SV1000s I've seen. What a deal!! $4 G's and 4,000 miles! Phillip stepped in it today!

The sound on the modded OEM cans sounds really great!

Turn in on the SV is no slower than the FZ6. You will adjust to the forward riding position and find your turn in is very quick. In fact think about holding a rectangular weight perpendicular to your line of sight, on a balanced point. Rock it right to left. Now rotate the weight so that it's length is straight in line with you on a balanced point. Rock it back and forth. Which configuration of mass do you think is harder to change direction with?
The SVs are very nimble!

The SV1000s is a few pounds lighter than the FZ6. It has narrow mass as far as the engines configuration and Suzuki dropped the triple on the tubes about 3/8 inch to make it even more quick dropping into turns.

The later generations came up with a few more ponies and there are lots of tricks to make them perform better than OEM.

I still love the FZ6 as an all round awesome bike and enjoy twisting the throttle on one when ever I get a chance.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff after i put those new tires on it the turn and handling improved ten fold. I think the tires were just really old and bald. I was kind of mad they put the pilot road 3s on there since they are more expensive and i asked for the twos but i guess trying out new tires is always good.

By the way whats the best sv1000 forum to go to for info???

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff after i put those new tires on it the turn and handling improved ten fold. I think the tires were just really old and bald. I was kind of mad they put the pilot road 3s on there since they are more expensive and i asked for the twos but i guess trying out new tires is always good.

By the way whats the best sv1000 forum to go to for info???

I have all the important info you want! :D

SV1000 Portal but it's nothing like the people here.
You see where I am! :BLAA:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I full blame Motogiro for this!! :BLAA:

SWEET ride!! Enjoy!! :thumbup:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Gratz on the purchase! Reason the shop mighta put pr3s on is because the only pr2s around are warehouse finds. You'll find the 3s to your liking though if you liked the 2s I've had both. Enjoy the new ride man!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

gstephen70

Reaction score
Visit site
All I can saw is WOW. You really stepped in sh*t didn't ya.The SV1000 has got to go for more on NADA. Enjoy the heck out of it. It rides like a tank and is as nimble as a fox. You'll be happy not to be blown all over the road on the FZ.

Congrats and ride safe. And let us know how those PR3 wear as time goes by.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to say im really loving this bike so far. I might need to get some ear plugs though. Going from a quite fz to this monster is a big difference in exhaust sound lol. I know i woke the neighbors when i came in late last night.

Drove the car to work today since it may rain, and im missing it already......

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
All I can saw is WOW. You really stepped in sh*t didn't ya.The SV1000 has got to go for more on NADA. Enjoy the heck out of it. It rides like a tank and is as nimble as a fox. You'll be happy not to be blown all over the road on the FZ.

Congrats and ride safe. And let us know how those PR3 wear as time goes by.

I will post up in time how well they wear. Im hoping very well since they were so much more then the pilot road 2 and the BT023 which i wanted but they also didnt have them in stock.

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say check out svrider.com. It's more dedicated to the SV650, but has a large, active community. There's an SV1000 section, too.

ctrigga

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually just graduated from a 650 up to my FZ when someone totaled it trying to steal it. The SVRider community is great and while it is 650 heavy the two bikes are quite similar. SVRacingParts is a great source for various parts for the bikes, they took a lot of my money and the owner is part of the forum! Have fun on the SV!