Frame slides or Engine Guard? (POLL)

Your preference - FRAME SLIDERS or ENGINE GUARD?

• Sliders

Votes: 57 83.8%
  • Engine Guard

Votes: 11 16.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
As I see it - don't drop it. :D

I find the engine guard is great when you desperatly need someplace else to put your foot after about an hour... Long distance FZ6 riders know the feeling...:eek: Changed my perspective on the comfort of the stock seat majorly. Have seriously thought about mounting pegs on it, but, haven't got to it yet. My 2c.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Got the engine guard yesterday and put it on late last night. The footpegs were on backorder (I was told 2-3 weeks), but it turns out they just shipped them today!

I'll take pics and post comments when I install the pegs this weekend (pegs are due to arrive on Friday).

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Engine guard - PICS!!!

Rather than start a new thread in 'mods' I'll post this here (for now anyway).

Here are a few pics of the SW-Motech engine guards and footpegs available via Twisted Throttle.

First, the left side. The instructions supplied are ok for this side. The front attaches to where you'd put a frame slider.
guard_left.jpg

Here's a close-up of the back part of the left-side guard. To attach the back part, you remove a small bolt that goes right through the frame (it's attached to a long rod and the nut is on the other side of the bike). Yamaha has this one on with red loctite or something, so it took quite a yank to break it toose. In this photo you can see an ANSWER that has been the source of MUCH speculation....does it intefere with the oil filter. The answer is NO....sort of. The black filter you can see in the pic below is a longer-than-stock SuperTech ST7313 filter (3.25" as I recall). The guard fits over it, but you can see that there isn't much clearance. I'll be able to get a strap wrench in there, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get the filter off without removing the left side guard. If I used a normal-length filter it would be NO PROBLEM (and I will switch back to an ST6607 on my next oil change).
guard_filter.jpg

Here is the right side. No one ever seems to photograph this for some reason. There are also NO instructions for attaching the right guard, which is too bad, since it mounts to a DIFFERENT BOLT than the one on the left side. Make sure you have your centerstand UP when you try to mount this side (you won't be able to get the proper bolt off if it's down anyway). The small nut above and to the right of the attachment point is the point where the left guard is held on the opposite side of the bike.
guard_rt_side.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of the front of the crash/engine guards, but basically the two ends slide into a clamp that screws down to hold them together in front of the oil cooler. As you attach the guards to the middle clamp, do NOT tighten down the side bolts UNTIL you fit the front pieces together first. Otherwise you'll be bending the guard to make it fit. The instructions for fitting the front piece of the guard are ok.

Pic from the front showing the highway pegs sticking out. These were pretty easy to install. I STRONGLY suggest inserting a small piece of rubber (buy an inner tube at Walmart if necessary) to get everything snug. The pegs are very adjustable, although the black paint comes off pretty easily. It also takes a while to get them even close to level.
pegs_from_front.jpg

Here's another pic from the front. Try not to notice the messy garage!! In this pic you can see that one peg is folded up. You can also spot my new handguards as well.
front_garage.jpg

****pit shot showing lots of goodies (handguards, heated grips, Calsci windshield, barbacks+risers).
controls.jpg

Finally, a shot from the back showing my IBA "membership card":thumbup:
iba_plate.jpg

Having these footpegs will help on 500+ mile rides. Cramped legs has been my major issue. I think I'm getting closer to converting this things into a transcontinental tourer.....Next up will be side cases and a GPS.

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmmmm... Thats odd. The attaching points on your engine guard are totally different than what came on my used 2006... Must be more than one company making these... Mine sticks out a bit further at the top mounting points and attaches with recessed cap screws. Also mine is a slightly different shape.

I always find my feet seem to gravitate to the bent part of the bar near the rear part of the engine guard - the relief is amazing, so, when I get to it, I will put my pegs a bit more rearward, but that is my preference. A job for this winter.

Looks good - I'm sure you will like it. :cool:

Also oil filter access is no problem on mine.

BTW thanks for posting the pics!

Last edited:

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice D-mac, Those Foot Pegs Stick Out Far Enough To Act As Frame Sliders... lol :thumbup:

Let's hope I never find out how well they work. Sparks would certainly fly.

On my last bike (a cruiser), the woman I bought it from had mounted highway pegs to the front of the frame. They were waaaay too close to the seat to be useful as pegs (I could put my knees over them), but I left them on for exactly that purpose - to support the bike if it ever fell.