Forgot where I was

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I was hoping to avoid ever posting here, but, last nights stupidity qualifies.

Where:
Thursday Night Bike Ride - Aniversary Edition; From UCLA over Sunset Blvd. to PCH, then on to Santa Monica for Pizza.

Context:
16 riders of varying skill levels on Kawasaki's, Suzuki's, Honda's, Ducati's and Yamaha's, a veritable UN Road run.

Incident :spank::
I was following a fellow rider around a 25 mph corner (about 20 - 25 ft behind him), we were probably doing about 50 mph. There is a traffic light right in the middle of the corner, knowing this, I was watching for it. Just as the light came into view, I saw that it had just turned Yellow. Knowing that I had plenty of time to make the light, I gave it a little more throttle...

...let my gaze drop back to the rider in front of me...he's stopping for the light :eek: (you can already see it coming can't you).

I bring the bike up, hit the airbrakes and deploy the chute, bike starts to skid, I am on a collision course, let off the breaks, lean hard left, lean hard right, re-apply airbrakes (don't bother with the chute this time), resume my earlier skid, rear-end starts creeping up on my right, keep front end in the direction of travel, release rear brake, scan the intersection to see what's coming (thankfully nothing), come to a stop about 5 feet into the intersection (still upright, thank God).

Analysis:
It could have been avoided if I had paid more attention.

I almost caused injury to both myself and a fellow rider because I forgot one simple thing, don't assume anything. I incorrectly assumed that the rider in front of me was going to go through the Yellow.

I forgot that I was jtarkany (limited canyon skills) on a residential street with other people. Not Rossi at Laguna Seca.

I forgot to maintain focus and awareness of my surroundings.

Grabbed way to much back brake.

Did a descent job of maneuvering and keeping the bike shiny side up, but back to point number one, If I had been maintaing good rider discipline, I could have avoided getting to this point.

I do solemnly vow to; stay focused, maintain good discipline, test my limits only when others will not be in jeopardy, learn from this and all other mistakes.

EDIT: I almost forgot, please don't tell my wife :(

Last edited:

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been in a similar situation. I was riding on an unknown road for the first time and came up to a roundabout. I was scanning for cars coming in to the roundabout from the side streets only to realize that there was a light in the roundabout! Locked up the rear brake and the rear almost caught up with the front but I managed to keep the bike upright. Learned my lesson to keep my eyes on the road while scanning the side streets with the corner of my eyes. Sucks to learn lessons this way, better to be proactive than be reactive I guess. But at least no one was hurt and you learned something.

But seriously, who the f**k puts a light in a roundabout?!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lesson learned! I'd spank you but it seems you've done a more adequate job on your own.

I had just posted earlier in another thread... always err on the side of caution!

Ok... focus now and ride safe!

playbygolf

Reaction score
Visit site
About a 1/3 of the way into the ride, a right-hander, I'll point it out to you on the next ride night.

I'm guessing it was Sunset, the light past the Riviera Country Club. That light sucks! I must've been in front of you or sweeping, or a night I didn't come cuz I didn't see it and don't remember it being mentioned at Dagwood's...

Good thing you survived!!!:thumbup: