First time with a passenger

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Impressive that you could even ride like that. I'm a skinny guy at only 140 myself and my ex GF was about 145 and that was not that pleasant of a ride 2-up. So when I met a girl I decided to marry a few years ago, one of the top requirements was that she be smaller than I so 2-up wouldn't be an issue. I can't imagine riding with a passenger that outweighed me by 85 lbs!

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
when I met a girl I decided to marry a few years ago, one of the top requirements was that she be smaller than I so 2-up wouldn't be an issue. I can't imagine riding with a passenger that outweighed me by 85 lbs!

Yes, compatibility is so important in a relationship. :D

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
The moment we had a helmet and a proper jacket for her, I got my daughter onto the back of my FZ6. That was a feat in itself, because she's short (way under five feet), and the bike looks so tall to her that she didn't want to climb way up there. Finally I got off and let her get on my seat then scoot back onto hers. :cheer:

Other than leaning in the wrong direction a couple of times (we're working on that), she's a great passenger. And though she weighs more than I do, she has a lovely low center of gravity. Nothing at all like her brother. The bike noticed the extra weight for sure, but it handled so much better than I expected, even crawling around in parking lots. It didn't feel ungainly at all. What I got out of it (in addition to the joy of taking my kids on my bike): heavy passengers are all right, but if they're so tall that their center of gravity makes the bike feel clumsy, maybe that's not so all right.

Sorry for the off-center picture. It's the best I could do with a cell phone whose camera is on the back. This was the only shot that actually had people in the frame.

And next time, maybe I'll even remember to stiffen up the rear suspension. Forgot that again. :spank:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The 6 is a little awkward for 2-up for sure

IMO the FZ seat is just not well designed and puts you both at risk.

Both comments are nonsense IMO. The FZ6 is a perfect bike one up or two. I have ridden 95%+ time of the last 8 years on my 6 two-up and it is very well behaved with or without a passenger. I have my rear preload set on the highest setting and whether I am riding twisties or straight highway, alone or with my wife peering over my shoulder the bike is planted and very well behaved.

During braking, the passenger should push on the tank with their hands. Helps a lot.

If my wife did that she wouldn't be welcome on the bike again. She sits with her hands on her knees and leaves the riding (and braking) to me. Just like she does in the car.

I know this is all a bit off topic Susan but you're braver than me taking someone so much bigger on the back! Mind you, 140lb with gear is Dani Pedrosa's size which is tiny! (I'm 210lb in my shower gear :) )

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
If my wife did that she wouldn't be welcome on the bike again. She sits with her hands on her knees and leaves the riding (and braking) to me. Just like she does in the car.

I don't know about that. I don't like the idea of anyone touching any part of my bike for any reason . . . but when you decelerate and your passenger is so much heavier than you that his/her weight squishes you up against the tank, things can get, well, squishy.

I know this is all a bit off topic Susan but you're braver than me taking someone so much bigger on the back! Mind you, 140lb with gear is Dani Pedrosa's size which is tiny! (I'm 210lb in my shower gear :) )

I didn't think any of it was off topic. The conversations here are always thorough and eye-opening. And I'm not brave, really. I just get my heart set on doing something, and then I learn how to do it.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know about that. I don't like the idea of anyone touching any part of my bike for any reason . . . but when you decelerate and your passenger is so much heavier than you that his/her weight squishes you up against the tank, things can get, well, squishy.
QUOTE]
Get some techspec tank grips. Almost eliminates this problem. When stopping you just squeeze the tank and your passenger squeezes you like a tank :).

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Get some techspec tank grips. Almost eliminates this problem. When stopping you just squeeze the tank and your passenger squeezes you like a tank :).

I googled that. I'll have to think about it. I'm not sure I like the way it looks. I almost think I'd rather be squished. And this from a girl who considers herself practical. :rolleyes:

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Yeah, it matters a lot more with a heavier passenger. When I learned that trick I was riding with a 190lb passenger and weighed about 170. It wasn't essential except when braking hard downhill, and then it really was essential. I can't bench press 400lbs, and control the brakes while shifting. I can't even bench press 400lbs!