First gear winding noise - Normal?

KHarper4289

Reaction score
Visit site
I have noticed that this bike has a winding noise on the first gear. I noticed this when clutching in and idling/rolling down my neighborhood. If I pop it into another gear or neutral, the sound stops. It is definitely a winding noise, like I can hear the gears winding down in speed. I didn't think it was the gearbox, but since it only happens in first gear, it has to be.

Is this normal? Something to worry about? Bike has about 5k miles on it. 2007 FZ6.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Could it just be heavy engine breaking, considering the ratios in first gear? Run 2nd up a bit and let off the throttle - same sound?

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine does that, too. Coasting in 1st with clutch pulled in, does this intermittent whine that sounds linked to wheel speed, shift to another gear and it stops.

Freaking weird.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 Gravel Road! - YouTube

Here's a video of what mind sounded like when it was almost new. Probably had less than 2,000 miles on it at this point.
[MENTION=27501]linus[/MENTION], we should try this out on your bike at mountains, to take videos of me :)

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Last edited:

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha uses square cut gears. Stronger than bevel cut but famous for their whine. My Venture had a bit of the whine at around 60 mph. I cured it by going 70.