Few Q's from a possible future FZ6 owner

DrGonzo

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, i just joined the board and im just looking for a little bit of info regarding an fz6.

Ill be honest, Im a Ducati guy through and through and i had my heart set on a new monster 696 but it seems a little out of my price range and i just need something that gets good gas mileage and something i can use as a daily commuter.

I read some of the reviews (none of them seem very current) and they made a few criticisms of the bike. They say the fuel mapping is kinda wonky and you have to rev the crap out of the bike to get it to move. Is this true with the newer '07+ models?

How well does the fz6 work as a 2-up bike? long distance bike?

thanks guys!

I picked my '07 up a month ago and spent a week riding home eventually putting 4,300 km on it in the first 7 days. I am 6'4" tall and weigh somewhere above 260lbs. The FZ6 is just as comfortable for me as an R1150RT I have been riding and it goes like stink. No, you don't need to rev it like crazy but it sure is fun when you do.

Will it have the immediate sensation of quick acceleration as the Ducati twins? I don't think so. Does it build revs quickly, getting to the meat of the powerband in a hurry, oh yes it does!

I can't comment on the two up stuff as I have yet to take my wife out, but as for the power and comfort? I love it!

That's my two cents worth. Remember, you get what you pay for!

welcome!

the fuel mapping has been improved to increase the mid torque on the 07 and 08 models as well as other improvements like the fairings,front brakes,speedo..
im very happy with my 07 FZ6,,,,you dont have to rev it more than any other inline 600cc sport bike,,in fact it has more mid range power than the rest of them...but as yukon alex said the torque wouldnt be comparable to the twin ducati engines...
if you are planning to buy a used one,,i would recommend paying a little bit more and buy the 07 instead of 06 or older..i really like the black 08's...no difference other than the color though between 07 and 08...

when i switched from a vstrom to FZ,i thought it was a little bit revvy too,,but its just because i was comparing it with that bike..
i have no trouble riding with my wife for couple hours,we are feeling about the same comfort level which is fine for 2 hours,,after that you gotta take a little break to get back for another 2 hours...and this is a stock seat with no extra paddings,,,there are aftermarket seats,padding or sheepskin if you wanna go long distance...
depends on your choice of riding of course,,fz6 has a little bit of every taste,,,more comfortable than racers with very close power to them...

A picture is worth 1000 words.
P4060002.jpg

I've had the red one for 1 year, and the blue one for a little over 2 months.

I can't say enough about the FZ6. Mine is an 07 and the midrange power is the best. This bike lives for the twisties and the power ban is as good as it gets for that kind of riding. For a bike with no damper system it handles great and engine response is wounderful. The trottle is a little stiff but it's all good. A few mod's to let the engine breath and it will jump off the ground if you let it. One of the best bikes for the price.
Works good as a 2 up bike. Up the factory setting on the rear shock and it fine. Don't spend the money on the comfort seat that Yamaha has . It's no good for the long haul.

Last edited:
As many have said, it's the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles. It does it all. It has the Power (98hp) and Range (5.1 gal tank), the looks and the ergo's with it's slight up right ridiing position. Great for commuting or even for those track days in which many members here have done. Just look at Defyinertias's track video, I think he was keeping up with a Ducati. Most importantly, affordable. Can't beat the price, many have gotten their '08's for $6500 OTD! Thats with tax, title, everything!

hows the heat for a passenger with the dual underseat exhaust? does it have a good head shield or does it just roast the ass of the passenger?

it does get warm, but I have nothing to compare it to . It is not hot - more like a heated seat that is left on. It is nice when it is cold, but it is warm when hot. Still, the looks of the undertail exhaust....they are worth it.

Hi, i just joined the board and im just looking for a little bit of info regarding an fz6.

Ill be honest, Im a Ducati guy through and through and i had my heart set on a new monster 696 but it seems a little out of my price range and i just need something that gets good gas mileage and something i can use as a daily commuter.

I read some of the reviews (none of them seem very current) and they made a few criticisms of the bike. They say the fuel mapping is kinda wonky and you have to rev the crap out of the bike to get it to move. Is this true with the newer '07+ models?

How well does the fz6 work as a 2-up bike? long distance bike?

thanks guys!

If you wanted to know just how important the 696 Monster is to the future of Ducati you need to look at the suits. The suits and the ties and the $300 haircuts of all the owners that ride them both male and female.

The FZ6 is an extremely diverse ride and yeah, it's good for the solo artist or the the guy that is just out to hug his honey because it does quite well 2-up as well. Yeah, the bike does commute well and yeah, it does tour well but beyond this, it has the ability to run canyons with the best of them for about 2,000 less than the Italian monster with the exhaust that looks like and after thought from KW or Pete.. The exhaust on the FZ6 has never been an issue for me and I have never known the pillion mount to get hot enough to both anyone. The bike can get over 50mph and with the extra 1,3 gallons it carries to the monster it will go farther on a load of fuel too. If you like Ducati stick with them just be sure to keep the Visa mechanic up to date......

yeah i dont mind Ducati maintenance stuff.

speaking of, whats the service schedule for an fz6? whats everyone getting for mileage on average?

thanks for all the info guys, i just keep thinking of questions!

speaking of, whats the service schedule for an fz6? whats everyone getting for mileage on average?

I think you change the oil once in a while....

Seriously... 42,000 km between valve adjustments... tighten bolts, adjust chain and sync the Tbs here and there.... Very cheap bike to own and operate, especially compared to a Ducati....

First inspect and adjust if necessary on the valves is 26,000 miles. Beyond that its very simple stuff. There's a gas mileage thread aeound somewhere but many are averaging in the high 40's. I'm at roughly 46 but I keep this gun loaded so it uses a bit more.

I'm getting about 46 - 50 mpg depending on how many times I really twist the throttle during the week. I use mine to commute every possible day. Zero issues with pillion heat from the exhaust. No issues with the maps either. The '04-'06 had a recall for the TPS and once that was fixed, it ran great! The new '07-'08 model has a better tuned FI from your hand to the piston. Smooth and fast! It isn't a hole-shot bike and seems to be held back in the lower RPMs but twist it to 7k and hold on! From there to the rev limiter at 13.4k, it's a wild ride! Reminds me of the two-stroke power band but this one doesn't sneak up and grab you, it just smoothly rolls on.

If you intend to change the stock exhausts, no heat issues. The stock one gets a bit hot but not too hot. You can't really regret getting this bike, believe me. It can hang out with all kind of bikes (just not very great compared to motorway dinosaurs - busa fjr etc etc :D )

Thanks again for all the helpful replies, I guess all there is now is to test ride them both!

you guys have definitely given me some good food for thought!

It's definitely going to feel different than what you're used to but...

It makes a pretty darn decent track bike with a few mods, a top notch commuter, and a great 2up day tripper.

Have you considered an SV1000 or VFR?

It's definitely going to feel different than what you're used to but...

It makes a pretty darn decent track bike with a few mods, a top notch commuter, and a great 2up day tripper.

Have you considered an SV1000 or VFR?

I have looked at the VFR but its a bit out of my price range, and i just really dont care for the SV at all

Quick note on the MPG. Did a ride in northern Caly last month. 200 miles with lots of twisties and some great flat and straight high speeder's, (140 plus MPH) and I still got 50 MPG. The only bike out of 6 that didn't gas up on the trip.

Back