Fatter rear tire?

g3ordy

Reaction score
Visit site
What's the fattest rear tire I can put on my stock 2007 FZ6 without any other mods? I'd like to go with a 200 if possible. If I wanted different rims, what's a good website to look for them? :confused:

W

wrightme43

180 is the largest size for 5.5" wheels. 190 needs a 6" wheel to keep from pinching the tread and actually having less rubber in contact with the road at lean.

If you want a bigger tire, you need a bigger wheel.

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
Out of curiosity, Why the bigger tire?? 180's are fat!! :rockon:
I was wondering that myself, what exactly will a fatter/wider tire do? Speaking of tires i went in the twisties and there was this guy on a KTM 950 Adventure with the dirt tires and he was doing 70mph easy, leaning in the turns...it was crazy, the tires were skinny! The rear looked like it was a 130 at the most...So whats the advantage of a wider vs skinny tire?

xeres

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering that myself, what exactly will a fatter/wider tire do? Speaking of tires i went in the twisties and there was this guy on a KTM 950 Adventure with the dirt tires and he was doing 70mph easy, leaning in the turns...it was crazy, the tires were skinny! The rear looked like it was a 130 at the most...So whats the advantage of a wider vs skinny tire?

Wider tyre means more tyre contact with the road but less of a turning circle and thus not very nimble.

Thinner tyre means quicker lean in, sharper turning circle but at the cost of traction. On dirt, traction comes at less of a price than nimbleness hence the skinny tyres.

In regards to a fatter tyre, your potentialy going to have to do extensive modifications for that. Wider tyre might mean it hits the chain which means you'll have to space it away from the wheel. Also, and obviously, your turning circle will be reduced, although how considerably im unsure. On a cruiser or some such vehicle where lounging and nimbleness arent necessarily of interest then its an option. For a bike designed to cut through traffic lane splitting and carve up twisties, im not sure its such a good idea in respect to the costs involved to do so. Plus the fact that 180s are pretty big considering, most supersports machines come with 160s.

Whichever you choose to do, good luck. Nothing better than adding that personal touch to your bike and the feel of a hard earned project it culminated from.

X

X

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Mounting a 190 on a stock rim isn't too smart, it pinches the tire making it taller instead of wider. It does make it practically fall into the lean though which is pretty cool, but overall a bad idea. It also looks weird...

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Mounting a 190 on a stock rim isn't too smart, it pinches the tire making it taller instead of wider. It does make it practically fall into the lean though which is pretty cool, but overall a bad idea. It also looks weird...

I have a 190 on mine and very slightly pinches the tire. It is a bit taller than a 180, but not bad. And as for corning I havent noticed a difference at all. The bike does not fall in the corners on me and I find that my corning is just as smooth if not smoother. Even in tight switch back where I have to toss the bike from left to right quickly.

I drug the kickstand in corner on Hwy 80 going south into Marion, NC on Sunday! The bike plants fine and I feel comfortable doing so. If someone wants to a run a 190 it works fine.

Just my .02

-bryan

Oh and as for the guy mounting the larger rear tire, I highly doubt it has anything to do with needing more traction or in anyway adding performance. The "new look" in motorcycles are the custom sport bikes. I have seen a 360 on a zx-14 at Indy one year. Its insane...

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm, the R6 I learned on had it's 180 replaced with a 190 and it was definitely noticeable, looked weird and it was a noticeable change to the lean (owner and I agreed), but it could have been the make of tire- I don't remember which it was though.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so I took some pics to show you guys its not as bad as you are thinking.

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

IMG_2629.jpg

IMG_2625.jpg

I think that will fit nicely up there...

IMO the tire doesnt look that big.

Just thought I would share.

-bryan

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so I took some pics to show you guys its not as bad as you are thinking.

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

IMG_2629.jpg

IMG_2625.jpg

I think that will fit nicely up there...

IMO the tire doesnt look that big.

Just thought I would share.

-bryan

It's not that it looks bad, it looks fine. But look at how flat the tire is across. You want the ark in the tire makes the bike turn faster. Sportrider tried it and it will actually change the gearing a tad. I went from a 190/50 on my r1 to a 190/55 on the rear and will never go back, It almost falls in the corners Ilove it.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Do it! You know you want to turbo it!

Oil return is going go be a pain in that location. You'll need an electric pump to bring the oil from the turbo back up to the sump. Other than that, it looks like you could put it there and keep your exhaust mostly stock.

Fred

Keits

Dela-Where?
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
stock turbo off a 944, its one of my roommates. It looks like it would fit nicely, lol.

-bryan
Your roomates must be cool as hell!! Mine insist on furniture and a tV in the living room. I would gladly turn it into a bike shed if I could:thumbup:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I didnt mean looks as in style, I ment in performance. If that makes since. The tire isnt all that tall and it is working well for me.

As for the flat spot, those tires do have ~6000 miles on them and they still have a good bit left in them.

Yea the oil thing would be issue, maybe if it was mountend above the swing arm, neat the shock. Then would the heat fromt he turbo be an issue with the shock? lol.

I am not actually going to boost the bike, but it would fun though!

I would have to get a different engine mangement system to handle it. Probably a megasquirt or something along those lines. The stock system I doubt would even come close to handling the fuel load it needs. That and the bank fire injector set up would have to go to sequential.

Dang you guys...

-bryan