Fan not working

grunt720

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I was out riding today and when I pulled into my drive way, my coolant temp started to climb. I waited for the fan to kick in but it never did. The temp read out at 240 Fahrenheit and the hot coolant light came on before I shut the bike down. I've looked around and it seems that the fan should be coming on around 210 degrees Fariehiet or so. The bike is a 2009 fz6, with almost 13000 miles on it. The fan spins cleanly by hand, maybe a rock, or could going through a puddle kill the fan? Ideas? thanks.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I was out riding today and when I pulled into my drive way, my coolant temp started to climb. I waited for the fan to kick in but it never did. The temp read out at 240 Fahrenheit and the hot coolant light came on before I shut the bike down. I've looked around and it seems that the fan should be coming on around 210 degrees Fariehiet or so. The bike is a 2009 fz6, with almost 13000 miles on it. The fan spins cleanly by hand, maybe a rock, or could going through a puddle kill the fan? Ideas? thanks.

Sorry to hear that....
Start with the Fuse. It has a 20A fuse. Seldom is it cooked. IIRC the connection to the fan is under the air box and not just a 3 min task to unplug.

Check the fuse and let us know what you find. After that there is a relay and if you have a 12v test lamp or a hand held meter we can verify power to the relay. On an 09 you can go into diagnostic mode and run the fan motor through the ECM. This could be handy for testing.

Spend a moment and google/search and grab the FSM for the 07. Its searchable and will give you some insight as to how to proceed.

Do you have tools and a comfort level to dig in and wrench a little? If you can find the connector, you can unplug the motor and power it directly with battery power. Find the manual and let us know where you stand tool wise and skill set.

Regards...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Several of us here have had fan motors burn out due to a lodged pebble, the fan fuze rating is incorrect. You could've had a jammed fan and bounced the pebble out before arriving at home, but I hope it's something else! :confused: