Radiator Fan Problems

smallfrye41

Reaction score
Visit site
The radiator fan on my '08 hasn't been coming on for the last couple rides. The first time it happened the temp got up to about 245 before I jumped out of traffic to let it cool down. Since then I've figured the worst - that a rock had gotten stuck in the fan and either blown the fuse or killed the fan motor. Checked the fuse which was good so I planned on blowing ~$200 on a new fan.

Yesterday I went for a short ride and got stuck in some unexpected traffic. I knew I'd have to get off the road or get moving to keep the engine cool so I pulled over when the engine reached about 230 degrees. For some reason the fan finally turned on and was working around 240.

Anyone have any advice? It doesn't sound like the fan motor is toast or the fuse is blown since it was working.

Maybe a relay switch or the thermostat?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a temperature switch the sends a signal to the ECU to tell the fan to turn on. The ECU operates the fan relay. There could be a problem with the temperature switch. This switch and the fan relay would be my first choices if the fan can be ruled out.

In any case checked all your plugs and connections. :)

Edit: Oh yeah! :welcome: to our great forum!

Last edited: