Power Commander PCIII fueling problems - bike won't start hot

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Since I searched far and wide in this forum and never came up with anything regarding this matter, so I thought I would share my experience in the hopes of helping others in the future.

I have an "almost" stock 2007 FZ6 (U.S. model). I put in a K&N air filter, and recently added Leo Vince exhaust - the ones that eliminate the catalytic converter.

After I did this, the bike sounded awesome but I noticed that it kind of backfired a little bit - it sort of gurgled and popped when I was coasting to a stop, before pulling in the clutch.

More importantly, the bike had retained its horrible, characteristically jerky on/off throttle transition. I never understood why this was so poor on a fuel injected bike ... some have suggested that Yamaha did it for emissions control reasons.

Well I added a DynoJet Power Commander - PCIII - PC3 (trying to get the variations in for people searching), to smooth out the on/off throttle transition. Wow - what a difference! I can tell you that the bike is MUCH smoother in that transition between coasting and applying gas, or the other way around. This is most noticeable in turns, where you are starting to apply throttle to exit corners.

I should mention that prior to installing the PCIII, I did upload the map from the DynoJet website, for the Leo Vinces into the Power Commander. So theoretically, I was running the proper map for my setup.

The only problem that I found was, once the bike is fully warmed up to the point that the fan is starting to come on (around 210 degrees F), if I shut the bike off and immediately try to start it again, usually it would not start. It would crank over for a long time, but I finally would give up for fear of killing the battery. If I waited a few minutes for the internal temperature to drop a little, it always fired back up.

This weekend I finally had a little time to mess around with the map, within the DynoJet PCIII software program. I added a little bit of fueling to the lowest settings (the "0" and "2" positions, I believe) at the very lowest RPMs. I want to say that I added 10 into 4 different cells - I will take a look and screenshot it when I get home, for posterity's sake.

Anyway, this seems to have solved my problem. I took the bike out a couple of times this weekend, got it good and hot by riding in idling traffic, and then killed and restarted the engine - fired right up every time.

I hope this helps any other that may encounter this issue in the future.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
have you monitored your fuel consumption? i have another problem with my pcIII but i am unable to solve it.. i put stock map, map with cat converter, zero map (all for fz6 2004). (bike is almost stock, with cat gutted out)

here's the problem, when bike is stationery, i throttle until about 6k rpm and close the throttle, the rpm will go so slow it dies.
what i did to temporarily solve this problem was adjusting the low, mid and high almost to the max. then i realised my fuel consumption became very very bad.

is there any problem with my pcIII module itself? i am sure it's not designed to be like this.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll assume that the extra time and expense of gutting or replacing the Cat pipe is for performance, although I think some do it for the sound. It would justify a tune. Having the bike tuned is not cheap but it is worth it after doing these mods. Air to fuel ratio alone is important to the longevity of the motor and a tune will be done with a sniffer that actually detects and shows the the A:F ratios as well as you having the entire rpm/throttle ranged mapped. Spending the extra bucks sucks when you can't look at it, but when you twist that throttle.....:rockon:

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the advise motogiro. i am considering to send it for a tune, what i am afraid of is end of the day, the pcIII ends up faulty and i have to purchase a new 1 from the bikeshop. so i would like to find out if my module is faulty or not before deciding to send it for a tune.

Anyway, yes i gutted the cat for performance, but i am waiting for my arrow exhaust + midpipe to arrive!

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to add to all this, sync your throttle bodies! All I have is a Two Bros exhaust, and it gurgled like mad on decel. I synced the throttle bodies, and wow, what a difference! The bike is much smoother now, and there's barely any gurgling/popping from the exhaust now. I recommend no matter what you do the FZ, always add a TB sync to the list!

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Novak: how hard is it to do a TB synch? I know I can look it up (and I will) but just wondering how involved/difficult it is from your perspective.

yoshiki: I recommend looking for the idle adjustment screw. On the 2007 U.S. FZ6, it is located on the port side (the left-hand side, as you sit on the bike), under the gas tank on the side. I can reach mine with a medium-long Phillips "+" screwdriver. I had a similar problem to what you are describing before I bought the PCIII, and adjusting this screw allowed me to increase the idle RPMs, and cured that issue for me.

Motogiro: I probably will have my bike tuned at some point in the near future.

Thanks to all for the comments - keep 'em coming, and I encourage others with PCIII fueling issues to add to this thread.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to add to all this, sync your throttle bodies! All I have is a Two Bros exhaust, and it gurgled like mad on decel. I synced the throttle bodies, and wow, what a difference! The bike is much smoother now, and there's barely any gurgling/popping from the exhaust now. I recommend no matter what you do the FZ, always add a TB sync to the list!

thanks for the advise.. i will look into that. not sure how to sync my throttle body.

Novak: how hard is it to do a TB synch? I know I can look it up (and I will) but just wondering how involved/difficult it is from your perspective.

yoshiki: I recommend looking for the idle adjustment screw. On the 2007 U.S. FZ6, it is located on the port side (the left-hand side, as you sit on the bike), under the gas tank on the side. I can reach mine with a medium-long Phillips "+" screwdriver. I had a similar problem to what you are describing before I bought the PCIII, and adjusting this screw allowed me to increase the idle RPMs, and cured that issue for me.

Thanks to all for the comments - keep 'em coming, and I encourage others with PCIII fueling issues to add to this thread.

how high is your idling when engine is cold? or hot? i will give it a try. thanks!

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site

It's very easy. If you can change your oil, you can sync the carbs. This thread has all you need to know : http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/32655-throttle-body-sync.html