Fan not working

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've searched the appropriate topics and from what I gather the fan is supposed to come on at 210/212 degrees. After going for a brisk ride today in high 70's weather I noticed that I got the temp up to 214-216 degrees for a time.
Long story short, when I got home I let the bike idle until it reached 214 degrees and no fan action. I checked it for the obvious stone holding up the fan but it spins freely by hand. I then checked the fuse which was o.k.
I'm guessing the next step is taking it in for a service call.
That being said, if anyone in the SF Bay Area has any recommendations for a good service place I would appreciate it greatly.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure it supposed to come on at that temp. My R1 fans don't come on till around 223 deg F on my readout. Are you sure your fan is not working. Also can any other forum members help out here with possible info on what temp the fan should come on? I had the 06 FZ6 and it didn't readout the water temp so I have no reference.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know that my fan ('07) comes is on when my temp is over 210F. It might kick on at a lower temp, but I know that it's on at 210.

The service places I like are probably too far south for you, but my first choice is San Jose Yamaha. Those guys are great, and I never have a problem getting my bike in for service. My second choice is GP Sports in San Jose, on Union Ave, but they sometimes have a backup in the shop.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks nccoder,
I was taking my 210/212 info from this thread on the subject.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/14819-when-should-fan-turn.html
I guess I should let it go a little higher in temp before I panic...:confused:
I thought that I read in some other thread, that I can't find now of course, that the Fizzers can run pretty hot without damage. I'm just a chicken when it comes to my vehicles overheating.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know that my fan ('07) comes is on when my temp is over 210F. It might kick on at a lower temp, but I know that it's on at 210.

The service places I like are probably too far south for you, but my first choice is San Jose Yamaha. Those guys are great, and I never have a problem getting my bike in for service. My second choice is GP Sports in San Jose, on Union Ave, but they sometimes have a backup in the shop.

Thanks Chemiker, I've been to both of those places looking at bikes before and they're not too far for me to go.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks nccoder,
I was taking my 210/212 info from this thread on the subject.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/14819-when-should-fan-turn.html
I guess I should let it go a little higher in temp before I panic...:confused:
I thought that I read in some other thread, that I can't find now of course, that the Fizzers can run pretty hot without damage. I'm just a chicken when it comes to my vehicles overheating.

Yes I would go by what Chemiker is quoting because the R1 maybe a totally different range etc.

Thanks Chemiker!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've searched the appropriate topics and from what I gather the fan is supposed to come on at 210/212 degrees. After going for a brisk ride today in high 70's weather I noticed that I got the temp up to 214-216 degrees for a time.
Long story short, when I got home I let the bike idle until it reached 214 degrees and no fan action. I checked it for the obvious stone holding up the fan but it spins freely by hand. I then checked the fuse which was o.k.
I'm guessing the next step is taking it in for a service call.
That being said, if anyone in the SF Bay Area has any recommendations for a good service place I would appreciate it greatly.
Thanks!

There is a relay for the fan. You may want to swap that out before going to the shop. Their $10-15.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a relay for the fan. You may want to swap that out before going to the shop. Their $10-15.

Good call! That is definitely worth a check you should be able to check the relay for function and continuity.

There should also be some thermistor/temp sensor that sends the signal to the relay or computer to tell the relay to operate....

Last edited:

lostinthe202

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have any tools? this is a pretty easy thing to chase down.

The relay is a good suggestion, cheap.

Test the fan by taking a couple of lengths of wire and putting the appropriate connectors to hood to the fan terminals and hold the other ends to the battery terminals and see if it spins.

If it does, and you have a multi-meter (12 bucks or so from Sears),

Pull the fan switch off (this will be screwed into your cooling system someplace, likely near the thermostat housing), hook up a couple of leads to it and put it in a pot of water and put in on the stove with an oven thermometer in the water as well. Have your multi-meter set to read continuity. When the water reaches the temp at which the switch should open, you should see continuity on your meter.

You could probably get all the tools, terminals, and replacement parts for less then a service call.

I suggest investing in a repair manual (usually about 30 bucks on feebay or amazon). If you can read English, you can work on bikes.

Good luck!

Will-

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Cliff and Will,
I do have a service manual and a butt load of tools. I will start running down your suggestions to see if I can avoid a service call. Unfortunately I have to drive up to Oregon this afternoon with my wife (not on the bike darnit) to visit her sick aunt and uncle and won't be back until Monday. I guess it will have to wait until the following weekend.
Thanks for the great suggestions, that's why this forum rocks.:rockon:

lostinthe202

Reaction score
Visit site
Sure thing. I just noticed that this bike is only 2 years old. That being the case, I'm sure your fan is fine probably your therm switch is fine too. Check all the wire connections first and then replace the relay

Have nice visit.

Will-

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I thought that I'd give everyone who has been helpful to me an update on my cooling (or lack thereof) problem. After checking the relay, fuses and wiring connections a friend and I dug into the checking the fan option. And it turns out that the fan was cooked. :( 7000 miles and fan is toast. Anywhoo, at least it's a relatively easy, though time consuming fix. Got one ordered and will hopefully have it in by Friday. Thanks again for all the suggestions and help.