Fan not kicking in....

casual_lee

Reaction score
Visit site
I think there is something wrong with my fan. It doesn't seem to kick in like it did before. Before i low sided my bike, the fan would kick in after two bars. Now when it hits 3 bars, i still don't hear the fan. At what temp(in bars) does your's kick in? Is there a way to check if the fan is work properly?

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
'07 doesn't have bars, but the temp it kicks on at is 212-214 F, same as the R6. Not sure on your older bikes, but it should be the same.

Just a side note, mine didn't work from the factory. I had to have the fan unit replaced under waranty.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
there have been a lot of people that have gotten small pebbles stuck in their fan and it typically burns out the fan motor, As mentioned before, try to spin it by hand and see if anything is lodged in there (Especially suspect due to a lowside). my guess would be that something is caught in it and hopefully you can dislodge it before it kills the motor.

casual_lee

Reaction score
Visit site
With the engine off, have you tried to spin the fan by hand to see if anything has been caught in it?

yes that was one of the first things i thought of after reading the "rock caught in fan" post. the fan spins freely. hmmmmm.....i guess I'll wait till it hits 4 bars to confirm if the fan doesn't work or not. thanks for the input guys.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you could unplug the fan and hot jump some wires (get the polarity correct) from the battery to the fan and see if it kicks on, if not then the motor is cooked, if so then i would run it until it is almost to the top bar (not sure how many bars the pre 07's have but i would let it get right up to the top one before shutting it down. if it is not on then the thermostat or relay may be broken.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
you could unplug the fan and hot jump some wires (get the polarity correct) from the battery to the fan and see if it kicks on, if not then the motor is cooked, if so then i would run it until it is almost to the top bar (not sure how many bars the pre 07's have but i would let it get right up to the top one before shutting it down. if it is not on then the thermostat or relay may be broken.

Pre-07's have 5 bars. Fan should kick on at 4, and shut off when it drops to 3.

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
you could unplug the fan and hot jump some wires (get the polarity correct) from the battery to the fan and see if it kicks on,re shutting it down. if it is not on then the thermostat or relay may be broken.

actually it wont matter on a DC motor

it will just spin the other way :p

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
very good point... i have been dealing with AC for much too long, i forgot how DC worked...

thank you for pointing that out...:thumbup:

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
No need to jumper the fan motor, go into diagnostics and test the fan operation from there, this will verify both the motor and the relay circuit at once.

If you don't know how to get into "diag" mode, download the service manual and look under Chapter 7.