Exxon Valdez in my garage

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
I need some tips and tricks to keep the oil slick from happening in my garage when I change the oil and filter. What type of gizmos, special tools, etc do you guys use to keep the mess down or from happening at all? I went through the same thing on my dirtbikes and found something called a Billywho funnel. I was thinking of fabbing up some sort of pan to hang under the engine and keep the oil from the filter and drain bolt from dribbling on the exhaust and keep the old oil going towards the catch pan instead of over the rim of the pan and onto the floor.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lean the bike over towards the oil pan a bit, using the side stand as a pivot point, this stops oil from dribbling onto your pipes.

:thumbup:

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a short (8" or so?) piece of aluminum that's bent into a long v-shape, the sides are maybe an in or so. So imagine a v-shape trough or gutter. I use it on all my small engines when draining the oil as a channel to guide the oil where I want.

I'm clumsy enough to spill it anyway, so I lay down newspaper before beginning to catch the odd drips.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just put a giant reservoir of some sort underneath. I now use a giant plastic dish from the kitchen that holds like 10 liters of fluid. It's nice and wide too so even when I open the drain bolt it catches it all.

But the first time I did it.....

IMG_0902.jpg

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
jesus christ! (@ the above pic)

i just use a 2 or 3 litre plastic jug (35p tesco value)

bike on paddock/centre stand, undo filler cap to allow air ing, slowly undo the drain plug, hold jug underneath, and then fully remove the plug, following the flow with the jug.

when the jug is almost full, put the bolt back on loosely, and fill up your used oil container, and then repeat.

put the bike on the side stand to help get more of the oil out

put the jug under the filter and take it off

simples!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Just put a giant reservoir of some sort underneath. I now use a giant plastic dish from the kitchen that holds like 10 liters of fluid. It's nice and wide too so even when I open the drain bolt it catches it all.

IMG_0902.jpg

Lone, you're a big part of why I still show up around here. :eek::spank: :cheer::thumbup::D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

IMG_0902.jpg

Lone, you're a big part of why I still show up around here. :eek::spank: :cheer::thumbup::D

OMG!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Where's the EPA when you need them? OK - first thread I read today and Lone, you made me laugh. . . So I'll second RJ!

For God sakes, I piece a cardboard goes a long ways people and you throw it away never having to clean it. V-shape it shove IT in!:D

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
LoneSoldier,

That looks familiar. I am in the environmental business myself so I try to practice at home what I get paid to preach.

These are all great ideas. The plastic jug has legs and I will put one together. I have plenty of them around that I store my empty brass for reloading in. Should be an easy enough task.

Thanks guys.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's a rite of passage that every FZ-6 owner has to spill half their first oil change onto the floor. I know I did... ;(

+1

I think we should get a badge in our signature for this, almost like Boy Scout Merit Badges. Lone would clearly be the Eagle Scout, the rest if us just aspiring to be his equal.

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's a rite of passage that every FZ-6 owner has to spill half their first oil change onto the floor. I know I did... ;(

Sorry to tell you but I haven't spilled a drop thanks to the foil gutter trick. I think I read nearly every "how to" thread here (months) before I got my FZ :D

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site

The only spill I had was taking off the oil filter... it fell into the tub of oil and splashed some out -- but didn't spill anything directly from the bike.