Exhaust smell with passenger?

nskitts

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that when you have a passenger they complain of smelling of exhuast fumes when you get done riding? My wife says her clothes are nauseating when she gets off the bike and I have to agree that her shirt smelled strongly of exhaust fumes. I assume it's the pipes being right there but just wondered if anyone else has noticed that..PS I have no mods that would make the bike run rich.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have ridden 1000s of km with Jannie on the back and she has the smell instinct of a bloodhound but she has never complained about exhaust fume smells.

Steve

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never had any issues with either the passenger or the luggage, that being the Cortech Tri-Bag system. Zero smell.

Those that have an issue? Are you on after-market exhaust? PCIII? Both? Stock? Just curious...

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never had any issues with either the passenger or the luggage, that being the Cortech Tri-Bag system. Zero smell.

Those that have an issue? Are you on after-market exhaust? PCIII? Both? Stock? Just curious...

Leos, PCIII. Was even worse when I had a richer map on the PCIII. I definitely attribute the smell to the cans, though the OP said no aftermarket exhaust on their bike.

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im no professional but the air flow around the bike is going to cause a negative area behind the bike and rider that will make the air swirl into. With the exhaust exiting the bike into that negative area it will swirl with that air. The pillion not being out in the open airflow would be able to smell the exhast that is trapped in the swirl.

just my 0.02

sconner

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same issue with my backpack I strap to the seat and my riding jacket. I really think it is due to the exhaust being up under the tail instead of out the side like most bikes. The air just swirls around behind us leaving the smell behind. Probably even worse being the passenger. Edit: I'm running everything factory.

kemmer

Reaction score
Visit site
Strange, I have never noticed any smell at all and I have used a bungee net to secure a great many things to the back of the bike. My wife has never complained either. I have had bikes that made me stink, but the FZ6 isn't one of them.

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe you have mechanical issues?, leak in the muffler? Are you sitting in traffic alot? I'm just guessing.

Let us know!

nskitts

Reaction score
Visit site
I was doing a lot of slow riding the other day so maybe that explains it. If going pretty fast the exhaust would be forced out faster and would also dissipate quicker rather than whirl around back there. I'm guessing the slow cruising (15-30mph) allows the exhaust to roll around and get in the clothes.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
My gf has never complained of it. Of course I'm usually hauling ass and popping wheelies so she's got more pressing matters to worry about :rockon:

horacemorris

Reaction score
Visit site
Same problem, it spoils an otherwise brilliant bike. Does anyone make an aftermarket system that that exits from the side like on a conventional bike?

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Same problem, it spoils an otherwise brilliant bike. Does anyone make an aftermarket system that that exits from the side like on a conventional bike?

anythings possible..a thundercat system or early R6 might be possible to adapt

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
mounting brackets are the only thing stopping you from doing an R6 exhaust on the bikes, same engine blocks and all. also you are going to need to figure something out with the giant holes under the tail section if you do change it.

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
I have not noticed any unpleasant smells on the FZ. My sister to date has been the only passenger and she had no complaints. However, my first bike was a '91 Bandit 400. The guy I bought her from had fitted a '03 (I think) CBR 600's undertail to her. The look is very nice :) Anyway, I digress. The girl I was dating at the time would complain that I smelled of exhaust anytime I rode. That was before she even rode on the bike.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I have noticed that on cold mornings if the local traffic lights are red, and little wind I disappear in the steam from the exhaust while stood... I feel a bit like Pig-Pen :)

Maybe this is the effect causing it.