Hot seat from exhaust

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For the first time this year I'm really noticing the seat getting hot when I ride, especially after I open her up. I doubt that the thermodynamic properties of the exhaust or the seat have changed much, more likely my tolerance for heat, or maybe this heat wave. My hottest ride lately was 105 degrees. (Fahrenheit, of course. ~40.5 C) In any case, I'd like to cut down on the heat.

The two ideas I'm considering are 1.) A pretty thick wrap of exhaust wrap around the exhaust pipes where they are near the seat and 2.) Reflective heat insulation taped to the bottom of the seat.

Has anyone tried any of these things? The one thing I'd like to be most sure to avoid is something that catches on fire. After that, I don't want to do anything that causes damage to the engine. Anybody have any thoughts or advice?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What I can add is that heat shields will get the most life from the exhaust as wrapping stuff holds in moisture and even though the muffler looks like some form of stainless, I'd guess its just a plating (nickel??) but I'm not sure. The point is a wrap will likely cause it rust in do time.

If your bike is not stored in the direct elements, this may not be a factor for a long time unless you live in high humidity area or near the ocean.

OK - wrap this!
picture.php

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I know you like the stock exhaust but another option would be to at least remove the cat, that will also help lower the temps. I also agree that the heat shield idea will probably give you the best results, the wrap isn't a bad idea but I think it would be more work then what it's worth.

And also yes the muffler is stainless

Nappa

Reaction score
Visit site
I've thought about that too, and wondered how much extra heat is generated by the cat. I can't tell if the heat from the cat is making it's way up through the seat or not.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Any of you ever try to build a shield over the exhaust? This material is awesome at reflecting heat. We use that on race car everywhere we can. Airbox, bulkhead (between engine and fuel tank)... Tried to bring some fresh air in to cool it down and scavenge the hot air out? It is a pretty massive exhaust... once it's all heat up I bet it boil your butt sweat!

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=1838

You can see here on the pic how the airbox is wrap. So if you could tape that stuff between the seat and exhaust (tape on the seat) that should help a bit...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd think that wrapping the section after the CAT (mid pipe) would help as that's basically heating everything below you. This with top side of the muffler should help a bit.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd think that wrapping the section after the CAT (mid pipe) would help as that's basically heating everything below you. This with top side of the muffler should help a bit.

Yeah, I think it's the mid pipe that makes the rider's seat hot, more so than the muffler itself. I know I started out saying exhaust, which is misleading. I even feel it more on the right side, where the pipe is.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm definitely leaning toward a shield setup now. I keep the bike in a garage, but we do get a fair bit of humidity, and a fairly broad day-to-day temperature fluctuation much of the year, so moisture would probably eventually become an issue inside a wrap. I may still try it if the shield doesn't accomplish enough, though.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^ Yeah, I've seen those, and they aren't too bad looking in black, but I'm not sure I want all my hippie ex-girlfriends from college wanting me to take 'em for a ride. ;) And yeah, I feel a little silly letting a product's appearance keep me from letting it solve a problem.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
^ Yeah, I've seen those, and they aren't too bad looking in black, but I'm not sure I want all my hippie ex-girlfriends from college wanting me to take 'em for a ride. ;) And yeah, I feel a little silly letting a product's appearance keep me from letting it solve a problem.

I also use alaskan sheepskin for cold weather and I could care less what everyone else thinks. My wife laughs at both sheepskin and beadrider all the time and my friends call me old fart (and i am in between 30 and 40 :D).
But who laughs at the end of the long ride day? My butt cause it is very happy and not tired!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On my first Gen FJR, 2004, (known to be VERY WARM from engine heat), I wrapped the header with Header specific wrap (see below). The header is hidden behind the front lower cowling however it did cut back a considerable amount of heat 40-50% without any problems...

Besides wrapping, you can also ceramic coat any parts close to the seat which per the FJR forum, works extremly well (I never coated mine).

If you don't feel comfy wrapping the pipes, you can also put the same material taped to the underneath of your seat with A/C foil. I have a small section, rectangular, taped not to the seat but to the sub frame just above where the stock muffler was which did help the passenger. That was when I had the stock muffler which, due to its size, holds and radiates heat.

As noted above, aftermarket pipes have a space inbetween them, don't have half the mass of the stocker to HOLD the heat, allowed air to flow inbetween the pipes and for me, made a big difference...

My Scorps are cool enough they use rubber (with a SS strap) to clamp the mufflers themselves to the bike without bothering the mufflers. The stock muffler would indeed melt those mounts...

Being in SW Florida, heat, with the seat, isn't an issue anymore for me

Last edited:

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On my first Gen FJR, 2004, (known to be VERY WARM from engine heat), I wrapped the header with Header specific wrap (see below). The header is hidden behind the front lower cowling however it did cut back a considerable amount of heat 40-50% without any problems...

Besides wrapping, you can also ceramic coat any parts close to the seat which per the FJR forum, works extremly well (I never coated mine).

If you don't feel comfy wrapping the pipes, you can also put the same material taped to the underneath of your seat with A/C foil. I have a small section, rectangular, taped not to the seat but to the sub frame just above where the stock muffler was which did help the passenger. That was when I had the stock muffler which, due to its size, holds and radiates heat.

As noted above, aftermarket pipes have a space inbetween them, don't have half the mass of the stocker to HOLD the heat, allowed air to flow inbetween the pipes and for me, made a big difference...

My Scorps are cool enough they use rubber (with a SS strap) to clamp the mufflers themselves to the bike without bothering the mufflers. The stock muffler would indeed melt those mounts...

Being in SW Florida, heat, with the seat, isn't an issue anymore for me

OK, so I'm learning now that my beloved, quiet stock exhaust has a drawback. :( I think I can handle this though. I'm gonna look into this possibility of ceramic coating the mid pipe. (Assuming that's the name of the pipe under the rider's seat. I'm not an expert.) That sounds like it may provide best results with mid-range expense and labor. In the meantime, while shopping for a ceramic coater, I'll get some of one of these shield options and see how well that works. That looks to be lowest cost and probably mid-range efficacy. My concern is the adhesive backing on the shield. I don't want it to ignite. I imagine someone has that worked out though.

It seems like wrapping the headers might cut down some on heat around the legs, but might actually increase temps in the cat, mid pipe and muffler due to the headers not being able to convect or radiate as much heat where the pipes are hottest? My legs get hot too, but I think most of my overall increase in body temp is coming through the seat, whether I'm wearing mesh or (perforated) leather. Not that you can wear perforated leathers in traffic at 103F. That's enough to turn a guy into a squid. :O I do like the look of wrapped headers on a lot of bikes though, but not so much on the FZ6.

I also use alaskan sheepskin for cold weather and I could care less what everyone else thinks. My wife laughs at both sheepskin and beadrider all the time and my friends call me old fart (and i am in between 30 and 40 :D).
But who laughs at the end of the long ride day? My butt cause it is very happy and not tired!

I salute your unassailable lack of concern for appearances, sir! I've said it before, and I'll say it again: "He with the laughing butt laughs last!"

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: For the heck of it. . .

So I filled that blue bottle with Tap water. Not Hot Not cold but about 70F water. Upon arrival at home tonight I placed a temp probe in the bottle and here is what you get
picture.php

Outside: 87F
Bike: Fan on often, temps between 195 and 212F
Bottle from under seat after 1hr 10mn stop and go ride home (lots of idle at first and short bursts of 35mph / 45mph) the temp is at 111F.

Think of that as leg bone nice and warm! :thumbup:

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What about spraying the under side of the seat with something like this http://www.jegs.com/p/DEI/DEI-Spray-On-Boom-Mat/1798883/10002/-1

It's made for sound deadening but also is supposed to insulate as well

Or this http://www.jegs.com/p/Lizard-Skin/L...und-Dampener-and-Accessories/1122693/10002/-1

The first one is the right price for giving it a shot--actually I need some sound deadening in my cage and am about to have a door-dis-assembling project on it, I think, so I'm gettin' some of that regardless. But it goes up to only 300F, and I'm not sure that's high enough for next to the mid pipe, or even on the seat. Though I have no measurements at all, so I'm just guesstimating relative to my oven and splatter effect from when I've seen water splash on exhaust systems.

That lizard skin stuff looks pretty capable, but the price is a bit wild. How much is ceramic coating on the mid-pipe gonna run? I was hoping for under $100?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re the heat shield, IMHO, I think that may be the most cost effective and effective way to go.

If your not handy with sheet metal, I'm sure with a trip to the local HD shop, you can find a chrome header pipe cover for an HD that'll clamp over your existing upper cat pipe. Maybe take a piece of cardboard and copy the angle of your pipe to match up with what they have at the shop. Of course, if you use this HD part, your bike start leaking oil, run rough , etc...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not the best with sheet metal but I do have quite a few sheet metal tools and a fairly large sheet metal break if you wanted to come over one day and we could try to work something up.