ER_1 message, engine won't start !!!

bredda_dave

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Fellas

OK, I took my FZ6 for a first longer ride (around 150 miles) as the weather was gorgeous. On my way back, 3 miles from home, as I was pulling away from the traffic lights the engine spluttered and stalled. A "ER_1" message came up on the display and the engine wouldn't start. I tried many times, but I couldn't even hear the fuel pump whining. When I turn the ignition on, on the display it says "Lo" on the top when it normally shows temperature, on the bottom it says "CO", the engine light is also on. When I press the start button "Lo" turns to "Hi" and "ER_1" appears on the bottom of the screen. The engine light stays on and the red temp light comes on. After a 3-hour wait for the recovery truck I brought the bike to my garage. Battery is fully charged, checked all the plugs/connections but the problem still persists. Please have a look at the photos and let me know if you know what might have caused it.

(The first pic is shows the display when the ignition is on, the second one is when the start button is pressed)

View attachment 56642

View attachment 56643

Thanks a lot in advance.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Fellas

OK, I took my FZ6 for a first longer ride (around 150 miles) as the weather was gorgeous. On my way back, 3 miles from home, as I was pulling away from the traffic lights the engine spluttered and stalled. A "ER_1" message came up on the display and the engine wouldn't start. I tried many times, but I couldn't even hear the fuel pump whining. When I turn the ignition on, on the display it says "Lo" on the top when it normally shows temperature, on the bottom it says "CO", the engine light is also on. When I press the start button "Lo" turns to "Hi" and "ER_1" appears on the bottom of the screen. The engine light stays on and the red temp light comes on. After a 3-hour wait for the recovery truck I brought the bike to my garage. Battery is fully charged, checked all the plugs/connections but the problem still persists. Please have a look at the photos and let me know if you know what might have caused it.

(The first pic is shows the display when the ignition is on, the second one is when the start button is pressed)

Thanks a lot in advance.

Can you monitor the battery voltage with a Volt meter from key OFF to KEY ON and tell us what you see?

It should easily stay above 11.8 volts if the battery is well.

Is this bike stored outside / used in winter on salted (treated) roads? Regardless of answer, I'd lift the tank, pull the pod covers, and disconnect the battery.
- begin an inspection of all connections by actually pulling them apart (Every Fuse too, including main fuse by battery top) and looking at the two mating halves for damage or deterioration. There should be no strange colors, anything growing, no black or brown pins (conductors). Pull the LARGE connector from the ECU also. Confirm all is OK there.

With the alarm system you might also inspect the underside of the gauge cluster itself and EVERY coupling between the meter and the ECU.

With any damage found found, soap and water is the best first cleaning method followed by contact cleaner or Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner (MAF).

That's where I'd start if it were mine...

bredda_dave

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your input FinalImpact.

I went to the garage straight after work yesterday. Turned the key, the engine started like nothing had ever happened... Which makes it even worse. I'd rather have the ECU ****ed and replaced with new one rather than it doing it again God knows when and where. The dealers I got the bike from are 40 miles away but yesterday they agreed to book the bike in for a warranty service to the garage that is only 5 minutes away from my house. I explained to them several times that they have to check and clean all the connections etc but I'm just afraid they won't give a **** as the engine is running OK now. If only I knew what caused the problem. I really don't want it to happen when I'm overtaking next time...

bredda_dave

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your input FinalImpact.

I went to the garage straight after work yesterday. Turned the key, the engine started like nothing had ever happened... Which makes it even worse. I'd rather have the ECU ****ed and replaced with new one rather than it doing it again God knows when and where. The dealers I got the bike from are 40 miles away but yesterday they agreed to book the bike in for a warranty service to the garage that is only 5 minutes away from my house. I explained to them several times that they have to check and clean all the connections etc but I'm just afraid they won't give a **** as the engine is running OK now. If only I knew what caused the problem. I really don't want it to happen when I'm overtaking next time...