Electrical issue preventing bike from starting!!

darth47

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings,

My cycle has been having a problem I believe to be electrical. When I turn the key in the ignition to the on position, only the neutral light comes on, the fuel pump doesn't prime or make the usual 3-4 sec whirring noise. When I try to start it, the engine cranks but doesn't start. When I turn the key to the off position, the dash display comes on for a sec and goes off. I have charged the battery, the voltage after troubleshooting was 13.5V, I have checked the voltage going to the fuel pump, 0.2v, (key in on position, engine not running) but i don't know if there should be power there if the engine isn't running. I have removed and sprayed contact cleaner on almost all connectors, no joy. I even removed the ECU connector and sprayed both ends with contact cleaner, no joy. I dunno what else to try. I don't know if any one has had this experience and what they did to resolve it.

Any suggestions?

DSC_0103.jpg
Key in on position.

DSC_0104[1].jpg
Key in off position

Update:
After cleaning more connectors and checking fuses, cycle behaves normally, started and dies 2x then starts and runs normally. Yet to take it for a test ride due to bad weather.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What were the last connectors that you cleaned that corrected this condition?

darth47

Reaction score
Visit site
It was a brown connector that seemed to go to the rear brake. Lost it somewhere close to the rear brake, very difficult to trace cables because of the small, cramped area. Opened it, sprayed some contact cleaner and plugged it in, and it started behaving normally.

Kill switch is ok, it shouldn't affect the dash display I reckon. I hope to test ride it tomorrow.

Last edited: