electrical bike problems

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

Sorry to hear about all these never ending stator problems.
I have a spare stator taken from a 2005 and it fits to your bike.
$ 125 shipped.
Send me pm if you're interested.

This is the exact photo of it:

4348.jpg

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
cheers mate, just sent you a PM

checking how much an OEM yamaha one is, but i have a feeling it will be around the £200 mark :S

will probably buy this in case my rewound one doesn't work

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
one more thought, this might be a bit rhetoric though

since my stator was grounded after it burnt, is there a chance it's broken my regulator, since AC voltage could have gone from the frame into the rectifier?

i'm thinking it might be worth buying another R/R in case my current two are broken

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
while I wait for the stator from fazil to arrive I'll continue winding my old one

this is my current progress:

222992_10150172063165952_503740951_7295878_1012381_n.jpg

if I get it working I can use it as a spare :)

rypsis

Reaction score
Visit site
while I wait for the stator from fazil to arrive I'll continue winding my old one

this is my current progress:

222992_10150172063165952_503740951_7295878_1012381_n.jpg

if I get it working I can use it as a spare :)

This might seem like a stupid question, but does that wire have an insulating film over it? As in, it's meant to be used as inductor winding and it's not just bare copper wire?

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
o
since my stator was grounded after it burnt, is there a chance it's broken my regulator, since AC voltage could have gone from the frame into the rectifier?

I don't think so. If the stator burns, it will be just an open circuit and nothing happens i guess. I am not an electirican though.

You can test the regulator also. I found a good document about how to test Regulator and stator. Here is the link:

http://www.offwidth.co.uk/bike/general/electrical_fault_finding.pdf

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
so my re-wiring my stator didn't seem to work, am ony getting 5-10V out from each output.

It's wired in an ABCABCABCABCABCABC pattern, I tried both WYE and delta configurations (the r6 one I got used delta terminations).

I didn't really look closely enough at mine originally before I took it apart, but I think it used an AaBbCc... type config (alternating clockwise and anti-clockwise turns), but I thought the way I did it would have worked as well. Maybe my wrapping was too mesy, or the config is wrong for the magnets. All the information on the internet is a bit vague :S

Still waiting for the stator from fazil, no idea how long international shipping will take :S

Really need to have my bike working for wednesday, as I'm supposed to be doing a trackday training session

Last edited:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Wiring by hand looks like a good idea but very experimental.
Hey, were you able to check the tracking number?
Royal mail doesn't show it, i don't know why.
It should come this week.
I hope it will come quick before wednesday...

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
so my re-wiring my stator didn't seem to work, am ony getting 5-10V out from each output.

It's wired in an ABCABCABCABCABCABC pattern, I tried both WYE and delta configurations (the r6 one I got used delta terminations).

I didn't really look closely enough at mine originally before I took it apart, but I think it used an AaBbCc... type config (alternating clockwise and anti-clockwise turns), but I thought the way I did it would have worked as well. Maybe my wrapping was too mesy, or the config is wrong for the magnets. All the information on the internet is a bit vague :S

Still waiting for the stator from fazil, no idea how long international shipping will take :S

Really need to have my bike working for wednesday, as I'm supposed to be doing a trackday training session

Greg!
Mucho respect to you for doing this. I have a question where are you measuring the outputs, what meter on what mod. Remember we can take ohms readings but in the end the output might need to be measured as the total DC output after rectification and at higher RPM.

Props for doing this! :rockon:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
ok I rewired this last night, and just tested it before. It's working :D

I need to write a tutorial on how to do this later as the FZ6 requires a different winding pattern than most of the internet guides suggest. (AaABbBCcCAaABbBCcC, WYE termination), otherwise it won't work (as I found out)

Stator is now kicking out 30-60V AC. Just waiting for the epoxy to dry and then I'm going for a long run to make sure it's ok.

@fazil, no sign of it yet, but hopefully my re-wound stator will work ok for at least a few days. I'l probably put yours in for peace of mind, and keep mine as a back-up.

Last edited:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
:bow:

I know it's not all that hard, but much respect for doing the research and putting your balls up on the table to try this.

I had to rebuild a 20,000vdc step up transformer (1:2 outputs 40k) for my SPS-55 because we were on deployment, and due to issues we only had the 55 for surface search radars.

I just knew the thing was going to blow when I flipped to radiate. But as far as I know it's still in the 55. Epoxy and super high grade mineral oil they use somewhere in the gas turbine engine, and they stripped the wire from somewhere for me. Thought I'd never get done winding.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
well, seems to be holding up fine, did a track day yesterday, as well as a 130mile ride each way to get there and (touch wood) i haven't had any problems

still no sign of the stator from fazil, so good job i managed to repair it myself :S

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, you've got it :thumbup:

We are waiting for a detailed write up about the stator re-wiring work.
As long as i don't have a spare stator, i'll need to repair mine someday :eek:

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Bummer, i had the same problem, and it took ages to figure out, after replacing battery/R-R and stator.

Re-wiring stator was all it took, BUT, the first time the autolek guy used a thicker gauge wire, like it appears you did. WARNING: it does not generate enough power, you have to use the gauge that the origional was done in to get the correct power out at the correct RPM's. The thinner the gauge, the more current is created, current flows on the outside of the wire, think surface area, thinner gauge = a LOT more area.

You COULD damage your RR through a damaged stator, although it's hard to guess. You could equally damage it from over or under supply of electricity, it's a very finely balanced system, you have to get it right.

Good job so far though, keep it up!!