Easy way to remove your oil filter.

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a end cap oil filter wrench which started to slip on about the third time I used it. So I just drilled a small hole in it. I then used a self drilling screw to drill into the old filter and it just back right out. ( It's not recommended to drill a hole in the new filter to screw it on.)

Doc

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
I did my first oil change past Sun and used K&N filter. It has a bolt on top so you can use regular key to install/uninstall it.
Part number for K&N is KN-204
41i5vRn8r5L._SS500_.jpg

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Hm... I like it. I'm thinking for added measure, I'd put two screws in if I had the room. I've always had to line the inside of the cap filter wrench with duct tape for stickiness.

Thanks,

Dennis

yamahaha

that guy is fast
Reaction score
Visit site
thats a real good idea. i just change my oil and the cap oil filter wrench slipped on the first try. i resorted to an old tried and true method of hammering a screwdriver all the way through the filter and using that to get it off. well, i bent two screwdrivers as the filter was really on there. the 3rd screwdriver i used was a trusty craftsman and it did not bend. it really pisses me off the way ppl put oil filters on, put them on hand tight, back it off, hand tighten again and leave it alone. and obviously spread some oil on the seal too

dave0407

Reaction score
Visit site
OMG!! I just went through that crap yesterday. Whoever put the last oil filter was either a brute or used a power tool. I tried the cap wrench, it just slipped. Next I went to the old trusty hammer and screw driver. It just ripped the metal casing. I went to the auto parts store to buy a different kind of oil filter wrench. The one that ended up working was a bar that fits into a ½ inch ratchet with a long thick nylon strap that tightens as you turn to ratchet until the bar rests on the filter. The old oil filter was crushed before it started to loosen!!!

uclajoebruin

Reaction score
Visit site
Just past hand tight has always worked for me.

Your method may help me in a pinch when I come across a bike somebody else has done the oil change on. :thumbup:

seb101

Reaction score
Visit site
or you can just stick a screwdriver in the oil filter housing walls, right thru it near the top-end of filter and start rotaiting it, when it moves from place you can then untwist it by hand.

Last edited:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I used the drill/screw method last time and it works really well. It's a whole lot more elegant than jamming a screwdriver through the filter and makes less mess too. True the KN filters are great with the nut for removal but they cost 3 to 4 times more than other filters.

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
I always just put them back on "Mr T" hand tight.

Also a tip I saw on a thread on this site a while back is to put tinfoil over the exhaust underneath. Works really well.

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
I always just put them back on "Mr T" hand tight.

Also a tip I saw on a thread on this site a while back is to put tinfoil over the exhaust underneath. Works really well.
+1 on the foil keeps any oil from splashing up as well if you wrap stuff up well

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Is this also the same filter for a 2009 FZ6? I was also considering the Purolator, but don't know the part nos.

I used to use the Purolator filters, until they changed them to the nasty mustard yellow. The used to be a blue that almost perfectly matched my 04.

1.8tbora

Stealth FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
First time I used a the oil filter tool on mine it keep slipping to, so I took a cotton cloth and lined the inside of the filter tool and put it back on the filter and presto removo. The rag took up any slack in the tool:thumbup: