Ear plugs or no ear plugs that is the question?

Do you use ear plugs to prevent hearing damage.

• Yes I wear them all the time

Votes: 201 54.0%
  • No never used them..

Votes: 132 35.5%
  • Pardon......

Votes: 39 10.5%

• Total voters

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I know I'll probably get chewed out, but I've never worn any plugs. I've only been riding for a year, but I never felt the need. With a full face helmet, the sound deadening has been plenty for me. And this year I'm going to be getting a new helmet (Shoei GT Air) which should be even quieter.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
Try them. U lose nothing, but might gain a lot. Since I have started riding in earplugs, I feel uncomfortable without them.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know I'll probably get chewed out, but I've never worn any plugs. I've only been riding for a year, but I never felt the need. With a full face helmet, the sound deadening has been plenty for me. And this year I'm going to be getting a new helmet (Shoei GT Air) which should be even quieter.
Your not going to get shot down mate. Just have an open mind and give them ago. Report Howe you got on.
Nelly

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been using a variety of plugs. I lost my RHside hearing about 5 years ago due to a virus- its never coming back, tried hearing aids to help buts just not going to help. SO i protect the hearing I have as much as possible
I have used foam plugs which are ok but block out everything and can work their way out of the ear canal which feels mighty weird when yr riding. I tried "NoNoise" plugs which are really fine silastic rubbery stuff that fit well and block out heaps of noise, but they split after about 3 months use. Next I Tried som Alpine sleep? snoring type plugs which have lasted really well. Yesterday I bought some Alpine Motosafe plugs, I'll attach the specs and the printed matter that came in the packaging for those that are interested. These cost me about $40 Aust for three plugs and two sets of filters.
I have no affiliation with the company that sells or markets these.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
John & I have bluetooth headsets and if I forget to put earplugs in and he talks to me...well, it's uncomfortably loud.
But I'm afraid the damage to my hearing was done long ago from listening to music too loud.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
I always use them because my hearing is really good. So much so that the doctor could not believe I was hearing the tones during the last test. I want to keep it that way so an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Also, it makes the ride more peaceful and there is less fatigue and less discomfort from the noise of all that rushing wind. I've worn 4 different helmets and the noise is there in all of them. The most quiet of them all is the Shoei but without earplugs going above 40 is just too noisy for me.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
I always use them because my hearing is really good. So much so that the doctor could not believe I was hearing the tones during the last test. I want to keep it that way so an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Good for You! I wish I had this attitude earlier. But what You say is a very important thing - preventing damage. We wear helmets, jackets, boots etc to protect our body. Ear plugs should be also considered a part of a biker's outfit.

Also, it makes the ride more peaceful and there is less fatigue and less discomfort from the noise of all that rushing wind. I've worn 4 different helmets and the noise is there in all of them. The most quiet of them all is the Shoei but without earplugs going above 40 is just too noisy for me.
When I switched to NXR (or RF1200) I was expecting a large decrease in noise. Honestly I didn't notice anything significant. So after one ride without, I've put my earplugs in my ears again and finally could concentrate on the road, not the whistling sounds from around.

vr46fan

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
My helmet is an AGV grid, and its rather noisy, so I always wear earplugs. I find the 3m plus you can buy in the big packs work very well. They aren't as long as some others, so they don't push on your eardrum with a helmet on.

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a poster child for wearing earplugs. I didn't wear them for the first 20 years of riding. I have significant hear loss. I have worn them for the past 13. If you have a really tall windscreen you can get away with out them. other than that. everyone should wear them.

Last edited:

Sg Fazerian

Reaction score
Visit site
Went for a trip to a neighboring country halfway without ear plugs (I forgot to put them on - my friend gave them to me at the start of our trip) and the sound of the wind is deafening at 180km.

Put them on for the second half of the trip and it was a blissful ride apart from my butt feeling sore (It's been a long while since I've been touring).

So ear plugs is a definite must on my next tour.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any time I'm planning to get on the highway or go more than a couple miles I wear earplugs.

The difference is night and day. So much less wind noise without cutting out any of the stuff you need to hear.

For anyone who thinks they're dangerous: Try them first. You'll be astonished at how much BETTER you can hear important things.

I bought a giant box of Moldex Spark Plugs. They work great (33 dB rating) and they're cheap enough I can afford to just toss them and grab a new set whenever.

Lopezius

Reaction score
Visit site
I have never worn earplugs to ride before however, it is under serious consideration now with the FZ6. After 12 years in the military and law enforcement I've lost enough hearing as it is. The wind buffeting at highway speeds is deafening and I really do not like the looks of the tall touring windscreens. The only other thing I am considering is cutting down my windscreen which I know a few people on here have done.

Last edited:

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
I had eargasm which I thought were good, but just bought some nonoise made for motor sport and they are amazing!!!
They can be found on revzilla, but can be bought from anywhere.
What impressed me is that the almost eliminate all the wind noise, you can still hear everything else although not as loud as with nothing.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I had custom molded earplugs made up for me locally for $60 as recommended by another local rider.

They're low profile for ease of wearing under helmets and should last about 8 years.

I can insert them perfectly and consistently with ease instead of faffing about with disposables to get the right level of noise cancellation.

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's a great idea to wear them.
I tried it out a couple of times and found it awkward not hearing the engine in the same way and having limited awareness of the revs etc. But all of that is a question of getting used to.

It feels wrong to do relatively long trips daily with a loud exhaust and no hearing protection.