Ear plugs or no ear plugs that is the question?

Do you use ear plugs to prevent hearing damage.

• Yes I wear them all the time

Votes: 201 54.0%
  • No never used them..

Votes: 132 35.5%
  • Pardon......

Votes: 39 10.5%

• Total voters

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't remember the brand, it might be the same as yours. It's the foam ear plugs with the speaker in it, I discovered that they work good over all. The music is a little tinny but does the job and cuts out most of the wind noise.

For years I've been using Skull Candy 'Inked' and buying a pair of JVC Marshmallows. Then I put the foam buds from the JVC's on the Inked phones. Still pretty cheep if you shop on Amazon and don't care about color you can get both sets for @ $30. I'm wearing Inked II's now and they are a bit better sound wise than the originals. Better high end.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Since replacing my tires, I've noticed my ears are exhausted on longer highway trips. Deep tread hum I guess. That, or heavy right wrist syndrome.

92Bit

Reaction score
Visit site
I started wearing ear plugs recently. I will say it does diminish road noise greatly, and I think it does impair your hearing a bit as far as useful sounds. The difference is that now at highway speeds I can hear something other than wind. So I've decided that if I'm not on the highway I don't wear them.

Ragnar

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought wearing earplugs while riding my relatively quiet FZ6 was a dumb idea. Then the other day I put a pair in and now I almost can't ride without them.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I still believe that riders who were earphones and listen to music whilst riding are going to damage their hearing. Regardless of all the arguments as to why I will be ok and mine are different because they cost X amount or they are this make & model.
If I don't wear my ear plugs I have a really uncomfortable ride, even on short trips. If you have never used ear protection, give it a go. What have you got to lose (apart from your hearing)

Nelly:thumbup:

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a bad idea to start wearing them because once you try it and notice how much better and less fatigued you feel, you'll have to waste all that time doing it every time. I still haven't found the perfect permanent ones for my helmet, so I go through one-time-use ones quickly. It's annoying getting them all set just to have the helmet rip one out.

brucey

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use ear plugs when I'm going to be on the highway...extended riding at 100kph plus.
Riding around the city? No way, hearing cars around you helps to keep you safe.
All the best to you fellow riders!:rockon:

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Earplugs are part of my gear. I keep a bunch of them in my tank bag and just put two in before the helmet goes on.

I'm a newbie and decided that I would ride with "all the gear, all the time." My hearing is right up there with my vision, and I always wear my face shield down or safety glasses from the hardware store. So why not protect my hearing too? After all the time to get my gear situated while the FZ6 is warming up, 20 seconds for earplugs isn't a big deal.

I have been riding a couple of months and I couldn't ride without a full face helmet or earplugs. I can still hear engine revs and horns. It seems that without all the excess noise, even in town, I can spend more energy checking mirrors and scanning the potential hazards ahead.

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
What usually happens in my case is I get all my gear on, ride for 5 minutes, get onto the motorway and immediately think "balls, I forgot to put them in" cue 5 minutes of pulling over, helmet off, gloves off, look in the tankbag for a pair, earplugs in, helmet on, gloves on and off we go again.

I used to not bother, but seeing as I'm a very old man stuck in a young mans body, (65 in my head, 23 on my ID) and I get tinnitus, its worth the bother. At some point I will tape a checklist to the tank of things I need on a ride (because being old makes you forgetful right?). :D

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Plugfones. Mmmm.... music and noise cancellation. They even have a volume limiting option for those of you that struggle with volume control. Replaceable tips, etc. Haven't used em' but I've been meaning to buy a set.

Plugfones

For the record, tinnitus sucks. Been there, got it. After 8 years now, I kind of ignore it but if it gets really quiet, it's hard to hear anything else. It's really kind of sad, since I have "perfect" hearing through all normal ranges but there's always this annoying little ringing sound in the background. Sounds like someone left a TV on mute in the other room (for those that can hear electronics like tube-TV's and phone chargers).

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a bad idea to start wearing them because once you try it and notice how much better and less fatigued you feel, you'll have to waste all that time doing it every time. I still haven't found the perfect permanent ones for my helmet, so I go through one-time-use ones quickly. It's annoying getting them all set just to have the helmet rip one out.
I have never had that problem. I use orange foam ones by 3M.
As for wasting time, it takes about 30 seconds to insert them, which in my honest opinion is time well spent.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone had a recent Audiology exam?
I'm going to try and get one at work. I will post up the results.

Nelly:thumbup:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Had one about four years back and one two weeks back and a confirmation is due next week,
I'll post up the differences. I know my left ear is about the same as it was. the right is stuffed anyway

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site

Hope that first line was sarcasm. You're spot on about not wanting to ride without them after though.

I've never had one come out on it's own. I use the disposables as well, but they don't need to be one time use. I'll use a pair for a few trips usually. Just did a week long ride (5 days 1,800 miles) and used about 5 pairs. That's with all the stops and overnights.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Plugfones. Mmmm.... music and noise cancellation. They even have a volume limiting option for those of you that struggle with volume control. Replaceable tips, etc. Haven't used em' but I've been meaning to buy a set.

Plugfones

For the record, tinnitus sucks. Been there, got it. After 8 years now, I kind of ignore it but if it gets really quiet, it's hard to hear anything else. It's really kind of sad, since I have "perfect" hearing through all normal ranges but there's always this annoying little ringing sound in the background. Sounds like someone left a TV on mute in the other room (for those that can hear electronics like tube-TV's and phone chargers).

I bought 2 sets of these a year or so ago. They work very well, kind of tinny sound but not overly bass'd. My phone gives a warning about high volume settings so I usually stay at or below it.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally ditched my homemade plugfones and bought a set of real ones. They work even better. The tripleflange plugs are a bit tight but still fit under my tight schuberth.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
The ones we have issued wasn't bad, but just regular foam ones work just as well.. I use headphones, if my helmet was a little better, I wouldn't have to turn my phone up all the way. But I digress, a rocken song comes on, I push a little harder :)

Last edited:

ErikNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear them when I ride long distances, never locally. I love them, they block the wind noise more than anything.

I bought the disposable ones Cyclecruza recommended on Youtube. You can find them on eBay for a good price.
th

Last edited:

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I had custom earplugs made at the International Motorcycle Show last year in Seattle ($60). The disposable ones don't work for me. They don't fit my dainty ears. I love my customs. They fit easily/quickly in my ears and block the annoying noises. I can still hear my music bluetoothed to speakers in my helmet. I can hear traffic noises around me too. I still hear my bike but not my friends bike with a 2bros exhaust. Made the mistake of following her once with the earplugs out. Won't do that again. :spank: