Dyno time for the FI FZ-6 S2?

Reaction score
Visit site
Is this possible? I've heard of the BHP/torque gains you can get from doing this on carb bikes, wondered if the mighty FZ-6 S2 with fuel injection would be possible to tune in this way. It's not something I know a huge amount about but I really want to learn.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately, the stock ecu does not allow for much tuning. You could, however, purchase a power commander or a two brothers juice box (or anything similar to those) which is made for our bike and would allow for fuel tuning only. There are gains to be made, but generally speaking just adding fuel won't do what you're looking for. You'll need to get more air in and out as well with an exhaust, removing the cats and potentially changing the air filter/air box.

Reaction score
Visit site
If anything it's great so we know what a stock bike puts out to the wheel(for science!)

It's amazing, I agree. Really impressive what Yamaha have done, but the way I look at it is when is a little extra torque and horsepower not useful? Measure the stock performance then see how much more can be gained. ;-)

Unfortunately, the stock ecu does not allow for much tuning. You could, however, purchase a power commander or a two brothers juice box (or anything similar to those) which is made for our bike and would allow for fuel tuning only. There are gains to be made, but generally speaking just adding fuel won't do what you're looking for. You'll need to get more air in and out as well with an exhaust, removing the cats and potentially changing the air filter/air box.

Hmmm. I was quoted about £550 for a power commander, dyno time and some other bits which I assume might include what you're talking about with the air filter/box there. Would it still be road legal if I had the cats removed?

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
It's amazing, I agree. Really impressive what Yamaha have done, but the way I look at it is when is a little extra torque and horsepower not useful? Measure the stock performance then see how much more can be gained. ;-)

Hmmm. I was quoted about £550 for a power commander, dyno time and some other bits which I assume might include what you're talking about with the air filter/box there. Would it still be road legal if I had the cats removed?
Depends on where you live. In the US, motorcycles don't have to comply with yearly emissions testing like full size vehicles do so it's perfectly legal in the US to remove the cats. Since your quote was in pounds and not dollars, I'm not sure what the laws are across the pond.

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com

Depending on what the other bits are, the cost sounds about right; I was quoted £160 (+vat) from Double Take in Southampton for the Dyno time and a remap alone.

You might be able to get a PC3 on eBay for a bit cheaper than new, I managed to pick mine up for £80. I'd also recommend the K&N panel filter to replace the stock air filter, that shouldn't set you back any more than £40.

With the S2, there are cats in the headers which will keep it under emissions regulations for the MOT so you should be fine; though with a set of aftermarket cans, you might get caught out on noise levels.

Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on what the other bits are, the cost sounds about right; I was quoted £160 (+vat) from Double Take in Southampton for the Dyno time and a remap alone.

Interesting you should mention Double Take, they're the same people I'm emailing for a quote. Sent the below yesterday, no response today.

The original response plus my response:

"yes we can tune the fi system using a power commander these are £550 with all the dyno time and parts required,"

"Does the quoted £550 figure also include changing the air filter and air box plus removing the catalytic converter? I’m given to understand that just having a power commander to change the fuel intake would only go so far if more air isn’t being moved in/out of the bike as well."

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
The Power Commander units on their own are around £350 new iirc, the package for £550 may include a panel filter... I'd be biting their hands off if it includes anything else. Hopefully Double Take will get back to you shortly!

Out of interest, what sort of gains / effects are you hoping for out of the tuning?

Reaction score
Visit site
The Power Commander units on their own are around £350 new iirc, the package for £550 may include a panel filter... I'd be biting their hands off if it includes anything else. Hopefully Double Take will get back to you shortly!

Out of interest, what sort of gains / effects are you hoping for out of the tuning?

They haven't got back to me in a week, bit of a shame really.

Gains and effects, I'd say a little more torque down low and a little more power overall. I think the cost to performance increase ratio isn't going to be high enough to be worth the effort though, personally I think I'd rather do more miles and have petrol/service costs in hand!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They haven't got back to me in a week, bit of a shame really.

Gains and effects, I'd say a little more torque down low and a little more power overall. I think the cost to performance increase ratio isn't going to be high enough to be worth the effort though, personally I think I'd rather do more miles and have petrol/service costs in hand!
Yeah it always seems (at least with N/A tuning) that motorcycles don't really have a good $$/power value but then again every little bit helps out substantially more than a car. Usually with motorcycles, if you want it faster or lighter you'd first just sell what you have and get something bigger/better for the best $$/performance ratio

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah it always seems (at least with N/A tuning) that motorcycles don't really have a good $$/power value but then again every little bit helps out substantially more than a car. Usually with motorcycles, if you want it faster or lighter you'd first just sell what you have and get something bigger/better for the best $$/performance ratio

Well said. It's much easier and more cost effective to simply buy a used R6 than it is to turn an FZ6 into a track/race bike.

That said, there are definitely merits to tuning any bike. There is almost always power and torque to be eeked out of any given platform that comes from the factory. I know some people don't think there is enough performance to be gained from tuning the FZ6, but I think otherwise, and I simply enjoy wrenching on my bike so it's fun on top of the added seat-of-the-pants thrill.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well said. It's much easier and more cost effective to simply buy a used R6 than it is to turn an FZ6 into a track/race bike.

That said, there are definitely merits to tuning any bike. There is almost always power and torque to be eeked out of any given platform that comes from the factory. I know some people don't think there is enough performance to be gained from tuning the FZ6, but I think otherwise, and I simply enjoy wrenching on my bike so it's fun on top of the added seat-of-the-pants thrill.

But I don't want the "whole R6" F/I said....
I like the 600's but wish they had more Torquies. Right now I'm good as I enjoy Tweaking and seeing if my Best Guess Pays off and so far so good! The mods it has makes it fit me well and its so easy to ride. The throttle response from mine to any other Fizzer I've ridden or worked on is night and day! Its tempting to toss the R6 CAMs at it to top it off (less mass), but for now, I'm gonna leave it be. If I had any reason to pull the head I'd do some port match and a little clean up, drop a thinner gasket and with the "other" cams, that would be the most it would ever do. Sadly, its not gonna rocket to 126hp and 65ft/lbs of torque but if anyone has noticed, the $$$ spent on the things I've done is nothing! Roughly 1/2 the cost of a new set of cans. So that's my justification to move forward (buying at the right time! :thumbup:)...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on where you live. In the US, motorcycles don't have to comply with yearly emissions testing like full size vehicles do so it's perfectly legal in the US to remove the cats. Since your quote was in pounds and not dollars, I'm not sure what the laws are across the pond.

I think this is where we can say we do live in a great country because technically if the powers that be want to push it they do have the laws behind them. I think you'd have to be a real butt to get written for exhaust modifications and don't think a LEO does not have the right or written law.

Our laws here in the US could be interpreted in different ways but there is wording that can be used to stop any and all modifications that can be tied to the science of emissions.
Here's some interesting reading...

Motorcycle Emissions Regs Examined - Motorcycle USA
Example:
What's Legal?

If all this regulation chafes at the neck, fear not, for the perceived oppression isn't as bad as it seems. Or at least is nothing new, because the "kit-bike" and "custom-motorcycle" provisions are in fact relaxations of the standing 25-year-old laws.

That's right, it turns out that while current and upcoming emissions requirements are more stringent than their 1980 forbear, the exceptions for "Custom Motorcycles" and "Motorcycle Kits" were just that, exceptions. One life-time Kit Bike and multiple Custom Motorcycles exempt from EPA emissions are more than those under the standing 1980 regulations, which permitted zero, zilch, nada, none whatsoever.

The average custom motorcycle consumer, however, need not worry about using that literal once-in-a-lifetime Kit Bike exemption. The vast majority of SVMs already source powerplants from the major engine manus, like S&S, TP Performance, or one of the others who are in the process of seeking EPA approval (don't worry about this year, though - remember, SVMs have until 2008 for Tier 1 compliance).

Still angry and want something to gripe about? Well, how about this: It is still explicitly illegal to modify a motorcycle in a way that makes it become non-compliant with EPA emissions requirements, and it has been since 1980. It's right there in the Clean Air Act itself; if you want to read it with your own eyes check out section 203(a). The gist is it is illegal to tamper with the motorcycle in any way that makes it non-compliant with emissions standards.

What is tampering you might ask? Well, like any law, the definition is open to interpretation. Doomsday scenarios by some envision tampering to include the seeming unrelated task of putting on the wrong sized tires. Other more optimistic interpretations limit tampering to the direct removal or disabling of emission regulation components, like catalytic converters and O2 sensors.