Duel headlight mod in 8 mins! (new world record?)

jamesmorgan

Reaction score
Visit site
Well after reading all I have seen written I zoomed off to my local DIY and bought came black wire and one of those connectors (though I bought the wrong one but I made it fit anyway.....)

Found the green wire coming out from the left hand handlebar - opened it up and joined it to the black wire that I'd just bought - joined that to the top thingy for the right hand bulb and.............. about 8 minutes later - hey presto! A double dipped beam now when the engine runs! How easy was that!!??

Thanks for all your help.

I am now considering getting my dril out and drilling some holes in the exhaust to make it sound a little bit less like my washing machine - but perhaps I can find another simpler mod before I attempt that one eh?

James.

Good job! Was that 8 minutes to route, solder and tape it all back in place? ;)

Good job! Was that 8 minutes to route, solder and tape it all back in place? ;)

I skipped the soldering bit and twisted it all together and taped it up real solid. But yes 8 minutes total - add on 5 more minutes for the trip to the store and back.

I skipped the soldering bit and twisted it all together and taped it up real solid. But yes 8 minutes total - add on 5 more minutes for the trip to the store and back.

Very nice! I hope you're going to take some time to make that a permanent connection! ;) If it loosens and shorts while you're out at night... could get scary! :D

Very nice! I hope you're going to take some time to make that a permanent connection! ;) If it loosens and shorts while you're out at night... could get scary! :D

You should see how well I twisted those things together........ hell will freeze over before any of it loosens.......

:)

I did mine the same way as james, meaning I came off that wire up by the handlebar, but I did solder everything together. But, I've been meaning to redo the mod and clean it up a bit. In other words, connect the wiring under the tank rather than coming off the handlebar.

On a side note about the dual-headlight mod (or lack thereof), I saw a guy on a red '07 last weekend that hadn't done any mods (even frame sliders) and this included the dual-headlight mod. My first thought, jokingly, to myself was...hey, that FZ6 is winking at me. LOL...

Do you happen to have a link to some info on the mod? Its been driving me nuts driving around for two years and having people tell me that I have a headlight out.

*bashes head on desk repeatedly*

There's a reason why people take an hour and a half to do this mod.

:Im With Stupid:
theres enough current that a poor connection could generate enough heat to start a fire.... if you dont have the soldering equipment, at least crimp the connection.

:Im With Stupid:
theres enough current that a poor connection could generate enough heat to start a fire.... if you dont have the soldering equipment, at least crimp the connection.

You sound like my Dad - he was forever telling me to do things 'properly' - like when I made a go-Kart out of an old lawnmower but mounted the engine behind the back wheels - to make it go round corners properly you had to lean forward or the front wheels would not be on the ground and you went straight on - he found this out the most seeing as his extra weight meant even leaning forward made no difference and if memory serves me right he went flying into a bush at top speed (which I think was 11mph).

Not taking things as a greeck tragedy, 08 minutes sounds too fast to do a proper job... And 08 minutes is more than enough to see the bike in flames!

It's your bike, and nobody likes more a bike than it's owner...

Forget the world record, you are disqualified... (for cheating) :D

I did mine with a 3M Wire tap and soldered the correct terminal on the light end. Install time 10 minutes. Including wire loom and Zip ties.

It took longer to warm up the soldering Iron and solder the terminal on the end than it did to install it.

Great mod!!!

I just posted where I did my headlight mod and there wasn't a bit of splicing to it, therefore no soldering.

Back