Cheap Ebay voltmeter installation

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
So, this is going to be my first mod description. Sorry for any language mistakes as I do not know to many technical terms regarding motorcycles.

Anyway - I wanted to have a small voltage indicator in my bike to monitor the charging status and overall voltage as I ride with heated grips and dual headlights.

So I've bought this type of voltmeter but with two wires only.

Mini 3pcs DC 0 30V RED LED 3 Digital Display Voltage Voltmeter Panel Motorcycle | eBay

697034832_o.jpg

As the housing I've used old spray can cover from a Plasti Dip can. All you need is the inner tube, about 36mm diameter.

The first thing is to fit the indicator inside the tube - you have to shape the side mounting points round, then they fit perfectly inside the plastic tube. Using two very small screws tighten the voltmeter to the plastic tube, previously drilling a small hole for the wires.

yc75.jpg

v02r.jpg

go0d.jpg

Then you need to find the wires that will give you 12V from the battery after turning the ignition on.

To do it you need to remove the inner black fairing parts and the windshield, to have an easier access to everything.

I connected the ground wire from a left position light and the positive from one of the wires going to the speedometer. Some soldering and heatshrinking involved, but nothing difficult.

sz4z.jpg

sq99.jpg

chjp.jpg

After wiring and soldering I ended up with two wires sticking from behind the speedometer. I could reassembly the fairings as there was no more to do underneath them.

s0yk.jpg

The last part was to attach the tube with the meter to the fairing. I used double sided adhesive tape/foam, previously cleaning the plastic with some alcohol. Soldered the voltmeter wires with the ones sticking from the fairing, sticked everything together with the tape, tucked the wire excess under the fairing and put back the windshield.

q94l.jpg

h2f5.jpg

l2ut.jpg

05be.jpg

In the future I'm going to make a round plastic cover for the meter to fit inside the tube and make it look cleaner. The good thing is, the meter is deep inside so it's quite well protected from the sunlight.

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
I have two of these voltmeters, just that they are blue color :)
I use them on my audio work but bought them to be installed on my FZ6 and DR650SE.
Maybe I find the time to do the job. I was thinking on a smaller rectangular plastic housing.
Do seal it somehow, it may get damaged by rain, and also add a switch somewhere, so you don't get bothered by it.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll seal it, just need some time to CNC cut a cover. Smaller housing is a good idea, I used what I had at home. Also round cover fits somehow the speedo style.

Took me about 2h to complete everything.

Switch... I will see how it works while riding and then decide.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same voltmeter. I works very well.

To install I simply used double stick 3M tape and it sits on the very top of the speedometer.

With the windscreen it is really only visible to me when I ride.

does the job very nicely and hasn't come loose in over 4,000 miles

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I have that same voltage gauge on my Buell. I put it in an empty space inside the gauge cluster so it looks factory and is sealed. I don't think there is enough space anywhere in the FZ6 cluster though, especially the first gen digital one.